• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

A puzzling announcement, but one nevertheless likely to be of interest here...

FreeTrav

SOC-14 1K
I am "on" the Baen Books discussion forums. They have a section/conference/ newsgroup/area set aside specifically for announcing Electronic Advance Reader Copies ("eARCs") of forthcoming titles.

Today, 4 August 2020, in that area, I found the following:

Hi folks,

Marc Miller's Agent of the Imperium is now available as an eARC. Get your copy here: https://www.baen.com/agent-of-the-imperium-earc.html

Enjoy!
--
Jenny
Baen Ebooks Web Team
Email me: baensupport@principledtechnologies.com

I say "puzzling" in the title because I have a copy (two, actually) of Agent of the Imperium (trade paper) from 2015, and I've seen it on Amazon for Kindle almost that long...

I am "on" the Baen Books discussion forums. They have a section/conference/ newsgroup/area set aside specifically for announcing Electronic Advance Reader Copies ("eARCs") of forthcoming titles.

I say "puzzling" in the title because I have a copy (two, actually) of Agent of the Imperium (trade paper) from 2015, and I've seen it on Amazon for Kindle almost that long...

Baen might have just picked it up, and Baen has a large following in the sci-fi community. That should increase the number of people aware of it, and potentially buying it and then get into Traveller.

I would say that is a good deal for Marc.

Baen will at times put up eARCs of previously-published works (especially if under another label before) for their members to enjoy - and, as said below, spread the word about their own upcoming release. A number of authors I know who self-published their first run took advantage of this later.

Well I for one will be buying a new copy or two.

I would like to see a printed edition with the footnotes only available electronically.

Looks like I will definitely have to buy it.

I clicked the link and read this:

TO SAVE THE GALAXY, A DEAD HERO MUST RISE AGAIN! NEWLY REVISED AND EXPANDED NOVEL SET IN THE TRAVELLER UNIVERSE FROM LEGENDARY GAME DESIGNER MARC MILLER
Newly revised and expanded - hmm?

What are these revisions and expansions?

Do I have to buy yet another copy despite kickstarting the original book at the highest level to get the latest text or will the drivethru version be updated?

Back