• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Adapting Forbidden Planet as a Traveller setting

The white sign over the left portal is a warning that workers must not stand on top of cars going into the building. I don't remember the exact wording though, and this photo from Wikipedia doesn't have that detail. At least the left and right portals were for rail; I'm not sure if the central one was originally rail or was always a ramp and platform between the rail lines.
I could go check it out in the morning, if anyone cares...
The central portal appears to have always been a center platform and access ramp.

That sign reads, "Trainmen must not ride / top of cars beyond this point" (all caps though) on the lower half. It appears there was once the word "Danger" or "Warning" in large letters above that, but that's long since been painted over and is no longer legible.

Amazing building. Almost Brutalist before there was Brutalism (you can see the impression of the planks used as the form for the concrete), except the drain spouts are in the form of cast-concrete gargoyles!

Yeah, way off topic, but I wanted to close that loop and besides, I find it interesting. :)

In nautical shipping break bulk is definitely old school but still practiced. For rail of course local transload businesses that are exactly that are not only still used but flourishing and expanding, often handling multiple product lines and even packaging/loading outbound products.
Especially for places in western Alaska. What can't be flown usually can't be driven (no roads), so has to go by boat.
Palletization, and lots of plastic wrap.
And that's how it usually winds up packed.
I remember the order for someplace in Barrow when I was working for Alaska Deluxe Company - 132 total buckets (3 gal each) of ice cream - about 1/3 chocolate, 1/3 vanilla, 1/10 smoked salmon, 1/10 green tea. (12 buckets was a full load in the machine. it was one load each salmon and green tea.) It was trucked under a mile as palletized cargo cold-soaked to -40°F, driven in a refer van at 0°F, loaded into a freezer compartment on a ship in the nearby harbor. two pallets. for about 400 gal of ice cream. I don't even know who it was for, as that wasn't on the instructiions for the day, just to label it "Barrow".... the skipper was charged to buy and ship it. shoved the week's schedule out, too - had to be done that day, as he had an evening departure time (tide factors)... that was shippable by air, but not reliably refrigerated by air. So... hire the boat's skipper to buy local and ship in his fish freezer. (Yes, sometimes fishing processors do duty as cargo ships.) Weird stuff done under the midnight sun.

This is Los Angeles Municipal Warehouse No. 1, in Los Angeles Harbor. (Wikipedia)

You reminded me of a sign there.

The white sign over the left portal is a warning that workers must not stand on top of cars going into the building. I don't remember the exact wording though, and this photo from Wikipedia doesn't have that detail. At least the left and right portals were for rail; I'm not sure if the central one was originally rail or was always a ramp and platform between the rail lines.
I could go check it out in the morning, if anyone cares...
500px-WarehouseNo1_sm2.jpg

And while looking this up, I discovered that the Port of LA was looking, back in mid-2020, to have it redeveloped. (Sigh. It's on the National Register of Historic Places, but that doesn't provide all that much protection.)
Those who were standing on the boxcars belonged to the Rapid Turnover Employment Agency.

Back