• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: Animal Damage and Combat

Timerover51

SOC-14 5K
I am working on a different system of handling animal damage and combat, and while the combat table is not that bad, animal damage is.

The Classic Traveller system is X number of dice to unconscious and an additional Y number of dice to death. The problem I have with that is, while my hunting library is definitely not exhaustive, I think that I do have sufficient material for a developing a reasonable system. In going through my material, aside from a couple of cases of Cape Buffalo being temporarily knocked out by hunters trying for brain shots and hitting the boss of the horns, a large eland downed temporarily by a shot hitting one of the spinal projections, and elephants where the hunter has tried for a brain shot with a heavy rifle, hit the skull but not the brain, and temporarily knocks out the elephants, I just do not find cases of animals being reduced to unconsciousness prior to being killed. I should note that, in none of the cases mentioned, was the animal anywhere near fatally hurt. For animals, it appears to be either you kill them, or you do not, although they may be able to escape to die later of their wounds. That is not a given however.

The second problem is determining damage. I understand that it is possible to kill an African Elephant with a brain shot from a 6.5mm rifle using full-jacketed round-nose bullets. To do that requires a fantastic shot, considering that Bell and Selous were using iron sights, and animals that have not really been shot up before. I have worked up a graduated damage table based on animal mass, but it still looks like some minimum power of weapon should be needed to kill a land animal. Aerial flyers are a different category, and sea creatures have an incredible size range, making them very hard to cover. If you allow for dinosaur-type fauna, then you can get into some very large land animals as well. Samuel Baker, at times, used a rifle firing a one-half pound explosive projectile on elephants, and it consistently resulted in one-shot kills. Something on that order might be needed for one-shot kills on dinosaur-sized fauna.

Then there is the type of damage inflicted verses the animal. Somehow, using a laser carbine on a full-grown mammoth just does not compute. When running it through as a thought experiment, I keep coming up with it approximating shooting through several layers of ablative armor while getting the mammoth throughly annoyed with the firer. I am not a fan of energy weapons, but using them on large animals just does not work for me at all.

Take the large 24 ton swimming grazer on page 41 or Supplement 2, Animal Encounters. The damage to unconsciousness is 36, with 4 more points needed to kill, so a total of 40. A shotgun inflicts 4D6, a laser carbine 4D6, and an laser rifle 5D6 points of damage regardless of range. Based on average rolls, 4 or 5 hits from a shotgun or laser carbine, or 3 to 4 hits from a laser rifle should kill said grazer. Note, 24 tons would be a moderate size sperm whale or a small bowhead whale. On a bowhead, you might be shooting through 12 inches or so of blubber, before even beginning to hit muscle, and that is with the laser, forget. please, the shotgun. As for the sperm whale, if it decides that you are unfavorably disposed, it might just head straight for you for an up-close and very personal visit. Take a look at the construction of the head of a sperm whale, and then try to convince yourself that you would be inflicting lethal damage with head on shots. I have three recorded cases of whaling ships of over 100 feet in length being sunk by sperm whales ramming them, and then apparently swimming off. For creatures that size, you are not considering hand weapons, except for maybe the classic harpoon, lance, and bomb gun firing explosive shells. The use of those does pose a "moderate" amount of risk to the user.

Last edited:
Animals don't shoot back.

If you can stalk them then you can line up your shot and thus inflict more damage.

The same should be possible for a sniper lining up a shot on a PC.

It's just not something the rules as written are designed to handle.

I have tried using an effect number system or an effect die system for increasing the damage of a carefully aimed shot into a known vital location. I can't decide which of them actually works best.

I think the animal system is basically designed around "how many attacks will the animal make before it's dead". Basically a cinematic. "There's an elephant running around the compound" with folks blasting away at it until it falls.

This is in contrast to laying in wait and going for the humane hunting kill.

Finally, it just acts as an abstract toughness of the beast without having to get all detailed about how many hearts, brains, stomachs or spleens the thing has.

I think the animal system is basically designed around "how many attacks will the animal make before it's dead". Basically a cinematic. "There's an elephant running around the compound" with folks blasting away at it until it falls.

This is in contrast to laying in wait and going for the humane hunting kill.

Finally, it just acts as an abstract toughness of the beast without having to get all detailed about how many hearts, brains, stomachs or spleens the thing has.

I was not so much thinking of the humane hunting kill, although that is part of it, but the bad-tempered, short-sighted bull rhino that your party just encountered in dense brush, or the pair of lion-equivalent who decide that stampeding your pack-mule train equivalent is a lot of fun prior to enjoying a nice dinner, or the bull elephant in "must" who views your ground safari car as a rival to be destroyed. Note, I can provide quotes from my library for all such instances.

And if they are blasting away with shotguns loaded with birdshot, good luck to them. It might die of the headache induced by all of the shooting.

Hmm, now that is a thought. Thanks for the suggestion. I regret that I cannot give a reputation boost for that comment. I had not considered that at all.

<Shrug> at a certain point in genetic engineering and technology, should there be a difference between BeastMaker and VehicleMaker?

I would gather Grandfather didn't think so.

To expand on that a bit, what if horses, oxen, cattle, dogs etc. were not just fortuitous usable animals?

Last edited:
Back