• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Are there details of things from the book....

DickNervous

SOC-12
Baron
... such as specifics on any of the ships that are mentioned, the sophonts that are encountered (in particular the Threep and Newt races) or the technology behind the personality scanning (and probably a dozen things I can't recall at the moment) that can be used in-game?

For instance, what if I wanted to create a Threep NPC or character? How would I go about that?

Or have my players encounter the ship that Lagash is on (which I can't recall the name right now)?

Or more details of the worlds that were in the book? I know there is a list of UWPs and coordinates in the back, but I am interested in "flavor text" that I can add to my World Lookup spreadsheet.

(And I assume that everything in the book is considered Canon since Marc wrote it after all....)

The Newts are used in GURPS Traveller. They seem to get allocated the admin type jobs.

The rest is pure imagination.

If you want a Threep character, your best bet would be to have AotI in one hand, a sturdy table to rest the T5 book on, flip through T5, and keep tweaking until you find what seems the best fit for you.

For NPCs just assume all stats are 7, it's easier that way.

Bwaps.

I thought the Bwaps got a write-up in T4. I seem to recall reading about how their rituals and their sacred tree tie in together with their excellence at Bureaucracy , but it has been so long I don't exactly recall where I saw them wrote up. Them and the Vegans...pretty sure it was a T4 Alien Module.

Dangnabbit, hold on...

WHOO-HOO! I was right!

T4 Book 4: Aliens Archive, pages 69-77.

I would scan it for Threeps, but I have to bounce to the store and then work in a bit. But there are your Bwaps, and being T4 I suspect the Racial bits will translate fairly easily to T5 but I am just guessing. :)

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I thought the Bwaps got a write-up in T4. I seem to recall reading about how their rituals and their sacred tree tie in together with their excellence at Bureaucracy , but it has been so long I don't exactly recall where I saw them wrote up. Them and the Vegans...pretty sure it was a T4 Alien Module.

Dangnabbit, hold on...

WHOO-HOO! I was right!

I would scan it for Threeps, but I have to bounce to the store and then work in a bit. But there are your Bwaps, and being T4 I suspect the Racial bits will translate fairly easily to T5 but I am just guessing. :)

Hope that helps.

That helps tremendously! Thank you!

Dangnabbit, hold on...

WHOO-HOO! I was right!

Hope that helps.
CT, the Newts are in Best of JTAS 3, p 14. (which also means somewhere in JTAS issuse 13-16)
GT, AR 4, p 22 (Bwaps)
I didn't find threeps in Aliens Archive, nor the JTAS index, nor GTAR 1-4, GTH, nor anywhere in the OCR'd files on any of the CD's. (But not all are OCR'd.)

Heck, I don't even have a clue what a threep is.

I didn't find threeps in Aliens Archive, nor the JTAS index, nor GTAR 1-4, GTH, nor anywhere in the OCR'd files on any of the CD's. (But not all are OCR'd.)

This particular squad was composed of six Threep, a trifold sophont with three legs, three arms with three-fingered hands, a head with three faces. They were considerably more agile than they looked.(pg 169)

They are the sophonts who are the crew of the ship that Enna Lagash is on. The interesting thing about them is that they can sense life forms, which was very useful in the chapter where they evacuated the people from the planet where the self-replicating robots were building a ship.:)

CT, the Newts are in Best of JTAS 3, p 14. (which also means somewhere in JTAS issuse 13-16)
GT, AR 4, p 22 (Bwaps)

They are the sophonts who are the crew of the ship that Enna Lagash is on. The interesting thing about them is that they can sense life forms, which was very useful in the chapter where they evacuated the people from the planet where the self-replicating robots were building a ship.:)

Threep is an alternate term for the Tripods according to AotI; they are located on the T5.00 CD-ROM: a picture is found in a separate file on the CD called "T5 Sophont Tripod Basic". Note that the concept appearance is somewhat different than in the AotI diagram.

To my knowledge, this is the first mention of them in any published source.

The following are all first-mention (to my knowledge) somewhere on the T5 CDROM:

• Tripod (Separate File - "T5 Sophont Tripod Basic")
  • Tinroa ([FONT=&quot]Native to [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Shvireeyiyi/Foreven) -[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]See T5.00, p.513, 558
    [/FONT]
  • Plexxan [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]–[/FONT][FONT=&quot]See T5.00, p.114, 276, 638; (also in AotI)
    [/FONT]
  • Qliq (Separate File - "T5 Sophont Qliq Basic")
  • [FONT=&quot]Schilrathen of Poros 3 [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]–[/FONT][FONT=&quot]See T5.00, p.368[/FONT]

... such as specifics on any of the ships that are mentioned, the sophonts that are encountered (in particular the Threep and Newt races) or the technology behind the personality scanning (and probably a dozen things I can't recall at the moment) that can be used in-game?

For instance, what if I wanted to create a Threep NPC or character? How would I go about that?

Or have my players encounter the ship that Lagash is on (which I can't recall the name right now)?

Or more details of the worlds that were in the book? I know there is a list of UWPs and coordinates in the back, but I am interested in "flavor text" that I can add to my World Lookup spreadsheet.

(And I assume that everything in the book is considered Canon since Marc wrote it after all....)

The Newts are covered in the Journal of the Traveller's Aid Society Number 12, page 12 and following. The article does include information on creating a Newt character. I am not sure if "Fair Use" would include posting the character creation data here.

Bwaps is another name for the Newts, per JTAS 12.

Also known as Bwaps or Wabs, (from their name for themselves, Bawapakerwa-a-a-awapawab), the newts originated on Marhaban, in the Lentuli subsector.

The Newts are covered in the Journal of the Traveller's Aid Society Number 12, page 12 and following. The article does include information on creating a Newt character. I am not sure if "Fair Use" would include posting the character creation data here.

Bwaps is another name for the Newts, per JTAS 12.

The Bwap article at the wiki is fairly good:

External Link: [http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Bwap ]

The references could still use some more detail, but they are a good place to start.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

*** Are you sure it isn't 11? ***

I did notice that. Haven't double-checked it yet.

I'm pretty sure that Dan Corrin entered that data and he's pretty sharp.

Shalom,
M.

I stand corrected. The cover says No. 11, the Table of Contents says No. 12 in the collection from DriveThru, so No. 11 is the correct magazine.

My apologies for not checking that first.

I just checked both copies of the original JTAS 11 that I have and both of them have the misprinted edition number on the contents page.
This one is going in my next Traveller Trivia game...

I stand corrected. The cover says No. 11, the Table of Contents says No. 12 in the collection from DriveThru, so No. 11 is the correct magazine.

My apologies for not checking that first.

No worries.

I long ago realized that I don't know everything and expect no more or less from anyone else.

Thanks for your spot.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

T4 is unique in placing the Newts in Lentuli/Hinterworlds. All other sources place their homeworld in Empty Quarter. Note that T4 was written to scramble the OTU a bit "so old time players wouldn't have an advantage".

Back