• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Covenant of Suffren

It's pretty good. To give a hint about the CoS's idea of foreign relations, there's a note that says they're currently trying to contact the TEDs of some nearby high-population worlds. The way it's phrased I get the impression they're planning on trade, cooperation, and so on instead of SAG or CIA/KGB style regime changes.

That does sound good. Although I loved PoT back in the day, my current rereading does make me feel a little jaded and disappointed. It seems that every other planet is ruled by paranoid power crazy TED's or is home to a xenophobic/technophobic population.

All the better to pave the path of Tears!!!

Maybe I am getting old, but a more subtle, less "justified jingoism" seems like a better option.

I guess also, that being close to the Vampire Highway focuses the CoS and TED's more on diplomacy and working together against the real (common) foe?

I guess also, that being close to the Vampire Highway focuses the CoS and TED's more on diplomacy and working together against the real (common) foe?

That's always the impression I've gotten. "The TEDs have something we want, perhaps we can give them something they want in return. We don't have to like them, and they don't have to like us, but as long as we can agree on the things we need, we can be allies."

Then again, IMTU, the Virus is a much more dynamic, active force so it's a significant threat that many groups need to map out and step carefully around. They're certainly not omnipresent, but they do have their own agendas, and even their own civilization (the Black Curtain) and have a tenuous "AI trade network" that overlaps known space just like the Free Trader network, except it serves Virus AIs. Similar to human civilization, there's many worlds with Virus AIs on them that you can go and topple, and no AI is going to notice (or care), but other words are along these trade routes and they'll definitely notice if someone is powerful enough to destroy the AIs there.

Challenge article.

Just a quick comment. Don't forget that you can buy individual challenge magazines as pdfs on rpgnow. They're fairly affordable compared to buying hard copy ... especially if you're only after an article or two.

Having been away from Traveller for way too many years, I am once again tempted to run a TNE campaign.

I ran a very successful RCES campaign back in the day,but was always tempted by the CoS. From what I recall they were detailed in the supplement with the Refs screen and in Challenge No 76.

I no longer have either and are looking to EBay etc to purchase again. I just wondered if anyone can guide me as to whether I need to buy both items, or if just the Challenge article ( which I think was more comprehensive?) is needed?

And also, whether anyone has ever run a CoS campaign, and how it went?
MT Diaspora sector book is a good reference. But doesn't mention much about the depot which was heavily pounded. Otherwise, Suffren is a great candidate with a 48 world main just 2 sectors away.

It's easier just to pick up the cd's so your not missing anything if canon matters. But also remember that this area was invaded by the Solomani. Solomani wrecks, people are just as relevant as 3I. I think the gazelle/scout mix and merc version of the liner are great indicators of reuse.

Possibly, one of the 12 DL explorer vessels found Suffren and gave them a little help willingly or not.

epicenter000 have I like the read on how you have Suffren for YTU. The writers of 1248 did not agree so much. Suffren got whomped on by a Lucan Fleet in 1211 and was rendered uninhabitable. By 1248 in the OTU it is down to two worlds (Erakhuu and Grourard). The rest got picked up by the the other empires.

In the proposed Dave Nilsen version the CoS and the RC would come into conflict, the RC only winning dues to sandman and the automated ship factory they would have taken over at the conclusion of the Guilded Lily trilogy.

Next would come an expansion of the Black Curtain and the RC finally meeting the Regency - conflict between the latter two being put aside due to the greater threat of the Black Imperium.

IMTU the defeat of the Black Imperium is dues to special forces teams of Star Vikings backed up by Regency commandos and Ithklur conducting raids into the Black Curtain, until they are faced with their atrocity dilemma. Use a viral weapon to destroy the Black Imperium and kill billions, or lose.

No grand fleets, no massed battles, just PC scale adventures leading to the devil's own dilemma.

Post atrocity the RC politicians stigmatise the Star Vikings and they decide to leave for elsewhere - there is still an empress wave issue to deal with after all.

Back