• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Creating ORIGINAL alien races, not borrowed ideas

Originally posted by TheEngineer:
I considered splitting to describe the ability to release a fully "working" organism. just like splitting of a paramecium.
But perhaps with some modification of DNA, so a kind of inperfect copy.

Cloning should be considered to aim a "perfect" copy.

Maybe I should add "genetically engineered" to stress an artifical aspect.
But what if a species is naturally able to actively modify the result of a reproduction ?
Would be highly adaptable, wouldnt it ?
Like "uh, another iceage coming. Prehaps my next children should have fur"
okay understand...maybe "cognant evolution" would be a better "natural word"?

If I remember from undergraduate Biology class.... the official term for "splitting" would be binary fission.

Of course, that term is usually applied to tiny single-cellular bacterial lifeforms. I'm not sure it actually works for larger creatures. Does it?

Well, provided the mechanisms were geared for it, there's not reason why not. Although, for really complex organisms, it's very likely that the 'clone' wouldn't so much split off, as for an embryonic tissue 'pod', like an egg or something, to develope from identical genetic information and then grow independantly of the 'parent' organism, either internally or externally. But yeah, splitting can work for complex organisms just as well as simple ones.

The trick is to remember that organisms which use splitting as their primary means of reproduction, usually take a lot longer to evolve any fixed traits. However, when they do, they tend to speciate much more quickly, sometimes in single generation.

Most simple organisms make up for the lack of mutation rate by having massive reproductive rates, allowing them to produce many more generations in the same span of time as most more complex organisms, so overall, they're about equal. Higher organisms, like vertabrates, would have an appallingly slow rate of mutation if they cloned, so a species would be basically stagnant in that ragard.

My apologies for bumping this thread, but reading it did get me to do a bit of thinking.

I was wondering if there is any kind of software or website that lets me create a detailed ORIGINAL alien race, along with traits, unique personality, anatomy, etc. Something like a "Random Alien Generator"

You know what everyone does? They just borrow ideas from Dungeons and Dragons and other games, and then translate those races into so-called "Traveller aliens". I've done that in the past myself... and I think it's time to do it differently.

For a much broader range of aliens, which are drawn from science fiction and not from games, it would be hard to beat Wayne Barlowe's Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials . As for cribbing creatures from Dungeon and Dragons, the "Displacer Beast" is cribbed from A. E. Von Vogt's story "Black Destroyer" which in modified form appears in his "Voyage of the Space Beagle", which is the source of two of Barlowe's Extraterrestrials, one of which does reproduce by splitting. For creating Aliens distinct from the ones in Traveller and other games, I would highly recommend the book, which can be found online. A planet full of Dilbians would be fun to add to any sub-sector or game.

Alien races need to be created uniquely. They need to be really alien, totally bizarre, and having almost nothing in common with Humanity. They need to be something that you've never seen on TV, something that you didn't borrow from Star Trek or D&D. This is the only way that they can truly be called alien. (Emphasis Added)

If an alien is so totally different from Humanity, how is a human going to adequately portray them? If there is virtually nothing in common, how is one to think or react like them? Any alien created is going to be limited to what a human player can run or use.

But how do we go about designing these truly unique alien species? How do we do this so that the "design" of the species is sensible? Surely there is some kind of RPG utility that someone created for doing this....

T5 does have the material from creating random Aliens. Whether they are believable or not is heavily dependent on the die rolls. Personally, I would rather use the given material to build one without the die rolls, but to each his own way of doing things.

T5 does have the material from creating random Aliens. Whether they are believable or not is heavily dependent on the die rolls. Personally, I would rather use the given material to build one without the die rolls, but to each his own way of doing things.

Marc has made it clear in the past: in ALL editions the random process is there for those who want to use it as random; if you want to pick the rolls instead, and you're the ref, fine.

Marc writes toolkits.

If an alien is so totally different from Humanity, how is a human going to adequately portray them? If there is virtually nothing in common, how is one to think or react like them? Any alien created is going to be limited to what a human player can run or use.

I expect players to do their homework first if they choose to portray them. They should know their history/culture/politics besides all the biology stuff about them. And the other players will need to know about them as well. And decide together how the alien is to be handled in-game before starting any game session.

Back