• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Disability Muster Out. A question or two.

Does the Disability Muster Out result mean that character development is finished and it is on to adventuring, or into the N.P.C. file ?
Seems to read that way for me. Correct me if I am wrong, I am doing a second character to get the system in my head.
And that the TERM is complete with FOUR skill rolls ?
And because it was the first term in the Merchants, it is TWO benefit rolls, can be one on cash, one on benefits ?
He got in at O4 4th Officer. But I do not think that confers anything.
(He lost 7 Str)

Does the Disability Muster Out result mean that character development is finished and it is on to adventuring, or into the N.P.C. file ?
Seems to read that way for me. Correct me if I am wrong, I am doing a second character to get the system in my head.
And that the TERM is complete with FOUR skill rolls ?
And because it was the first term in the Merchants, it is TWO benefit rolls, can be one on cash, one on benefits ?
He got in at O4 4th Officer. But I do not think that confers anything.
(He lost 7 Str)

I think you are going to need to specify which ruleset you are using before anyone can answer your questions.
I think in a different thread you had mentioned T5.10 in relation to another example of character creation?

Last edited:
Here is what I can find in T5.1 on Disability.
Disability Muster Out
Some careers (Scholar, Scout, Merchant, Spacer, Soldier, Agent, Marine) include a provision for Disability Muster Out. When Risk Failure produces an Injury or Wound which reduces the Controlling Characteristic by 4 or more points, the character is Disabled. Page 69, Book 1
Disabled. If the Controlling Characteristic is reduced by 4 points or more, the Character is disabled and must Muster Out at the end of the Term (and is allowed Double Benefits). Page 65, Book 1

I am not sure why Scholar is included in this, as there are instances of disabled scholars, Stephen Hawkings being a prime examples.

Having been retired by the Army in the Real Wrld for disability, I would view it as more changing the character career. You would need some way of determining the nature of the disability to determine what other careers might be available. In the example given, the character lost 7 strength, without specifying what the remaining strength is. An alternative career where strength is not critical should be an option.

As a side note, if a character receives a Disability Muster Out result, then I would add a house rule for some form of pension for disability in addition to the Double Mustering Out benefits. In the example given, a loss of 7 strength, when a maximum of 4 is allowed, I would allow a pension of either 5,000 Credits per year, based on the Citizen Pension mentioned on Page 69. or 3,000 Credits per year based on the difference between 7 lost verses 4 allowed. As the character was in the Merchant service, I would lean toward the 3,000 Credits, 7 minus 4 times 1,000 Credits. Disability pensions for the military services should be higher ,using a formula of 1 minus (the remaining Characteristic divided by the initial characteristic) times 2,000 Credits, so that the greater the loss, the greater the pension.

I am not sure why Scholar is included in this, as there are instances of disabled scholars, Stephen Hawkings being a prime examples.
Stephen Hawking wasn't injured or wounded (per se) due to a singular event. Instead, he was suffering from a degenerative disease that progressed over time. In other words, there was no singular instanced event in his life that applied a -4 to a controlling characteristic (DEX in this case) "suddenly" ... like being in a vehicle accident or something. He just slowly declined over time until his body failed.

I suspect that the "disabled Scholar" is included to account for vehicle crashes, assassination attempts, trapped behind "enemy" lines, etc. as events that can potentially occur during character generation prior to mustering out. So while we might (on the surface) think that the most hazardous thing that could potentially occur to a Scholar would be a paper cut (treated with lemon juice), there are also things like collapsing stages while presenting a speech/lecture as well as hit and run impacts in vehicle crashes that can also potentially happen that result in permanent injuries.

The "double benefits" clause sounds like an insurance payout.

I suspect that the "disabled Scholar" is included to account for vehicle crashes, assassination attempts, trapped behind "enemy" lines, etc. as events that can potentially occur during character generation prior to mustering out. So while we might (on the surface) think that the most hazardous thing that could potentially occur to a Scholar would be a paper cut (treated with lemon juice), there are also things like collapsing stages while presenting a speech/lecture as well as hit and run impacts in vehicle crashes that can also potentially happen that result in permanent injuries.

Similar things could happen to Craftsman, Entertainer, Citizen ,or Functionary as well, but they do not get a pay-out.

There is the difference between a game mechanic and likely lifestyle adjustment.

If the disability is intelligence or education, in other words brain damage, that probably makes it mandatory discharge.

If it's physical, the Service may provide regeneration, transplant, and/or prosthetics.

Stephen Hawking wasn't injured or wounded (per se) due to a singular event. Instead, he was suffering from a degenerative disease that progressed over time. In other words, there was no singular instanced event in his life that applied a -4 to a controlling characteristic (DEX in this case) "suddenly" ... like being in a vehicle accident or something. He just slowly declined over time until his body failed.

The Veteran's Administration has me listed as 100% disabled. I am not sure how to equate that to any Traveller Disability Muster Out characteristic, but I assume that I would qualify. My body does not work well, and I have been baffling doctors for approaching 46 years. My brain still functions quite well, and I have been pursuing a part-time Scholar career for approaching 44 years. The only way a Scholar should qualify for a Disability Muster Out is if he/she/it suffered brain dmage, which should impact several careers.

As I stated, and still hold the view, I see no reason to include the Scholar in this category, without including all of the other careers.

Indeed... the phrase used in the rule is "THE Controlling Characteristic" - not "A CC".

Unless there is something else that designates what counts as CC, and that that rule specifically disallows smart people who have lost their legs from doing theoretical research in a library etc, then I would rule that only that/those characteristic(s) which is/are required for the career is/are the CC(s) - Int for a Scholar, and so on.

Starting with TL14, ONLY the brain is needed for a Scholar, thanks to the computer implant found in CT (JTAS #22 - which conveniently also has the article on generating characters who attend The Imperial Academy of Science and Medicine).

Giving us the whole "brain-in-a-can" concept used so well by Anne McCaffery... running starships, cities, research facilities, and so on, all while just a brain (and some assorted body organs needed to keep it alive) in a container fitted with life-support systems and a hard-link to a mainframe computer.

would depend on the Scholars field, if their field of sturdy depended on field work, like an Experimental Ecologist, Archeologist or such a physiological disability may end that career.

Thanks for the replies and input. It is an interesting discussion, however......

Looking at page 66, under the heading Continue, it states that failing the continue roll means Muster Out, and begin adventuring....
Page 67 E Mustering out: from the known to the unknown; from the mundane to the adventurous.
And page 89 under Disability Muster Out : The character may not continue. <-- This implies strongly to me an end to character generation, and on to adventuring, or the NPC folder.
I would think that the forced cessation of a career due to disability is the same as a failed Continue roll.
The 'damage' is permanent, not like the other system, you cannot buy your way back to full stats. I do not dislike this.
Anyway, I may have miscalculated the damage by one (1)..... Will edit with character generation flow sheet in case anyone is interested...

I think that, based on my own Real World experience, a Disabilty Muster Out for one class should not preclude another career, Also, Assuming advances in medicine, to what degree would Disability Muster Outs occur?

I am having a hard time finding a way to edit a previous post, so, have to continue this way...
My goal is to get the "Rules As Written" correct, before houseruling anything. This could take quite some time. If anyone spots an error, pleas point it out......

The character in question....

Str: 12
Dex: 7
End: 9
Int: 10
Edu: 9
Soc: 8

Pre-Career... University. (Pre requisites Edu: 7+ All good...)
Apply: Int / <=10.
Roll: 6 + 6 = 12 FAIL.
Waiver: Soc / <=8.
Roll: 1 + 4 = 5 PASS.

Major: Archeology.
Minor: Broker.

Term 1: [CC=C4 : Int]
Year 1: Roll: 6 + 3 = 9 : PASS. Major +1
Year 2: Roll: 3 + 1 = 4 : PASS. Major +1 ; Minor +1.
Year 3: Roll: 6 + 4 = 10: PASS. Major +1
Year 4: Roll: 2 + 2 = 4 : PASS. Major +1 ; Minor +1

HONOURS: Roll: 5 + 4 = 9 Vs INT = PASS. : Major +1

Gain EDU + 1 And [BA]

Term 2: [CC=C4 : Int]
Year 1: Masters - Roll: 4 + 2 = 6 : PASS ; Major + 1
Year 2: Masters - Roll: 6 + 2 = 8 : PASS ; Major + 1 ; Minor + 1

Gain EDU + 1. And [MA]

[Professor Vs Int]

Year 3: Professor - Roll: 6 + 3 = 9 : PASS ; Major + 1
Year 4: Professor - Roll: 6 + 6 = 12: FAIL-----> Apply for Waiver......

Waiver Roll (vs Soc): 4 + 1 = 5 PASS. (7 or less required: Soc (8): Mod -1 for one previous waiver)
Waiver means PASS, no skills gained.
Edu = 12.

Is this still graduation as a Professor ???

On to the Merchants.......

Enlist as 4th Officer: Roll [Vs Int] : 5 + 3 = 8 PASS --- Gain Steward 1

Risk / Reward : CC = C1 STR (12) --- MOD -4 Risk, +4 Reward (May have been a very bad choice)
Risk Roll : 6 + 5 = 11 FAIL
STR: 12 - 4 + 8 +Flux (+2 + -5 = -3) -3 = 5 <---- This may be incorrect.....

[As it reads on page 64 -- If Risk Roll Fails Injury = Risk Roll - CC + Mods)

This would be...... 11 - 12 = -1 -4 = -5 -3 (Flux) = 2 . For a total of C1 = 2
I may have totally screwed this up.......

Reward Roll : 6 + 4 = 10 PASS
Term 3:
Year 1: Roll: Trade: 6 = Trader
Year 2: Roll: Business: 2 =Trader
Year 3: Roll: Vocation: 1 = Broker
Year 4: Roll: Technical: 1 = One Art (Chef)

No point in listing Muster benefits, but I hope you get the drift. I just want to get it right, so please, point out errors....

Cheers all.

(I think I got it covered , just the risk / reward thing is a thing though)

Back