• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Do you use Traveller5?

How do you use Traveller5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

robject

SOC-14 10K
Admin Award
Marquis
If you use any of T5, mark your choices above.

I think it should go without saying that it has my bias baked in, but there you go.

Last edited:
I have been working my way through it. I have used the altitude verses atmosphere pressure chart, supplemented by real-world data. The equipment section I am still going through, along with the trade goods.

One choice that is not up there is what I am doing, and that is using T5 to supplement Classic 1977/The Traveller Book/Cepheus Engine.

I use it as a sort of conversion tool. But some things I really like.

The Important Eras of History
Technology & Fantastic Technology
Fame (!)
Scaling Charts (Atmoshpere/Depths, Temperatures, Ranges, Senses, etc.)
Systems / Planet Generation (most of it)
World Mapping
Sophont Generation & Species Lifespan

Missing Poll Categories

I ran a year of T5.10 campaign titled Traveller5.10: The Holoi Hajj set in the OTU Foreven Sector, M1105. Rather than borrow from T5.10, I ran the game minus Personals and used other Editions for plucked tools, the reverse of what I've seen here and in chat channels.

The poll lacks a category Played as a complete game.
The poll lacks a category Used other Editions as cherry picked toolboxes.

I intend to purchase the Player's Guide when it is released.

I'd purchase an Alien Module(s) if ever released.

1_T5.10_Alien_Module_Vargr.jpg

I've liked a lot of what I've seen from the beginning (though the explanatory text is often insufficient). And now I've finally managed to persuade one of my groups to give it a try ... and not just as parts grafted onto another ruleset either, but pure T5.

I use T5 mainly as a supplement to MgT, but I use it a lot. It's interesting that the responses seem to skew toward the solitary game/support other game activities and that the two core mechanics used in at-table play -- tasks and combat -- are fairly low.

I think this highlights the need for the Player's Guide: if you're going to run a game, you really need to provide a convenient point of entry for players. Book 1 probably ain't that.

I use T5 mainly as a supplement to MgT, but I use it a lot. It's interesting that the responses seem to skew toward the solitary game/support other game activities and that the two core mechanics used in at-table play -- tasks and combat -- are fairly low.

I think this highlights the need for the Player's Guide: if you're going to run a game, you really need to provide a convenient point of entry for players. Book 1 probably ain't that.
I agree. The rough equivalent of The Traveller/Mongoose/Cepheus Book fills the big missing piece.

Many people -- well, I anyway -- prefer to see the introductory book first, then the reference manual. You can't really use a reference book until you have accessible game essentials. Right?

Of course the Game Designer Himself wants the Big Picture first, and THAT in turn lets him design the introductory book in a consistent, holistic way -- fewer reversals in direction, theoretically. Or, at least, when he is forced to simplify the rules, he can do it in a way that breaks less of the full consistent vision.

Something like that.

---

I'll share something I recently learned. In re-formatting the CT LBBs, Marc was forced to critically read through the text -- something that's difficult to do. And he re-remembered things that he liked about CT, and of course the things he thought were clunky.

I think that exercise is helping Marc while he's working through the Player's Guide.

Honestly T5 reminds me of Dangerous Journeys, in that too much jargon up front with explanations buried in text.

Lot of kinda useful bits buried in there Though.

I too am obviously biased as get out since I've been messing with it since the Beta (Thanks to Don) and so I love the whole thing pretty much. That said of course I am house ruling things here and there for my own ATU but for the most part I keep to the RAW. Also, I am so loving QREBS and TL Stage Effects like soooo much. The charts for Atmo/Speed/Altitude are awesome and of course there is great chart that helps with working out planetary density and thus the local gravity. The SysGen Extensions are boss and let you do all that cool T4 Milieu 0 empire building and working out ultra-crunchy background.

I dig T5 for being the ultimate Traveller so far. That combined with things like the MT: Imperial Encyclopedia with its list of Emperors/Empresses over the history of the Third Imperium pretty much gives one a grand overview of the setting. And T5 brings back the make it up for your group aspect that I do so love.

Totes a fan of the newest edition and I regret nothing. :D

Back