• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Early Interstellar

Ulsyus

SOC-14 1K
Baron
After various disasters visited upon known space, whilst there’s be some high tech worlds out there, there’d also be plenty of low-tech societies.

This release reminded me of an adventure idea where PCs had to avoid being the lynchpin in an arms race on a world they visited.

Has anyone run a game or campaign like that?

One terawatt X-ray laser?

That’s output I assume, what’s the input?
The input is only relevant to the complexity it causes for the PCs. On a balkanised TL8 or 9 world the PCs have to complete a ticket or delivery or mission, but they also have to make a decision about a moral dilemma where their ship laser could tip the balance of power in a theatre or such.

The input is only relevant to the complexity it causes for the PCs. On a balkanised TL8 or 9 world the PCs have to complete a ticket or delivery or mission, but they also have to make a decision about a moral dilemma where their ship laser could tip the balance of power in a theatre or such.
Gear heads gotta gear. Just like working through permutations on RAW vs intended game effect.

The Double Adventure Night of Conquest (was paired with Divine Intervention) had elements of that, though the decision of who to back was mostly pre-determined and the conflict was just getting back to the ship through a war zone.

That scenario reads quite differently in 2023 than it did in the '80s, due to changes in assumed baseline tech (phone, autonomous control) capabilities, though.

That scenario reads quite differently in 2023 than it did in the '80s, due to changes in assumed baseline tech (phone, autonomous control) capabilities, though.
Red of Overly Sarcastic Productions had a mighty impressive Trope Talk on the difference that easy access to communications, computing and (by extension) robotics technology has had on even ordinary storytelling and dramatic setups since the late-70s. We truly are living in a "Star Trek age" of technology already!

There are so MANY conventions of plot complication that were common tropes in storytelling decades past that seem positively anachronistic today!

I've mentioned it before, but back then the idea that you could call your un-crewed spaceship with your cellphone and just tell it to come get you, wasn't a thing.

And yeah, having comms go out for plot-convenient reasons IS a thing. Romeo and Juliet doesn't work if they have cellphones....

I've mentioned it before, but back then the idea that you could call your un-crewed spaceship with your cellphone and just tell it to come get you, wasn't a thing.

And yeah, having comms go out for plot-convenient reasons IS a thing. Romeo and Juliet doesn't work if they have cellphones....
Romeo and Juliet still works because they are stupid kids (see romcoms/sitcoms where the tension is people unwilling to communicate…. because they don’t realize how easier it makes things)

Back