• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Flattened Sphere Starship

They were sorta BORING [imho] ... but 20% cheaper is 20% cheaper ... so mostly we just squint and call everything a "flattened sphere" (like the venerable Type A).
I have been playing with new software (AutoCAD Civil 3D) that I need to use at WORK [boo hiss, it hurrttss our Traveller time] and decided to take a shot at modeling various complex 3D ships as I build familiarity with the software.

Long winded way of saying ... here is a 100 dTon Flattened Sphere:

100 dT Flattened Sphere.jpg

I have never used or consulted it in any way.
Can't help you there, I'm afraid ... :p

Fun thing though is realizing that if you extended the Hull Armor table down to TL=5-6 you ought to get (by extending the obvious progression):
TL=5 . 6+6a
TL=6 . 5+5a

So if you're still using hard steel for your bulkheads "because it's CHEAP" ... well ... You Get What You Pay For™, I guess. :rolleyes:

Yes, the higher TL materials are denser materials, so identical thickness in alternatives will make the higher TL materials "heavier" at the same thickness. The trick is when you start needing HALF (or better yet, much LESS THAN HALF) of the thickness for the same pressure protection.

Or to put it another way ... "I noticed you're still working with polymers" ...

Actually if you use the errata value of Traveller hull for the Striker crossover rules, the armor value is 40 or 336mm of hard steel. Or put another way, 13+ inches of hard steel, in battleship ranges.

Which gives us a pretty tough hull even for ACS in terms of personal weapon penetration, reentry and underwater/atmo pressure.

Using the previously mentioned materials science tech, composite laminates drop it to 168mm, crystalliron to 84mm, superdense to 48mm and bonded superdense to 24mm.

Assuming crystaliron is your baseline for most ACS hulls, that’s 3.3 inches, just about not worth considering for floor plan purposes.

Probably the more interesting question is the TL = maximum armor value in CT HG. Perhaps limitations in hull structure builds?

Last edited:
Early aircraft with limited altitudes could have rectangular fuselages, but when you start operating at 25,000 plus feet with a pressurized fuselage, the cylindrical shape takes over.
Whether you want them to or not (As the pressure bulges the hull). ;)

Back