• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Intangible Treasures

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
I just saw on Patreon that Lone Colossus Games has a 'Tome of Intangible Treasures'. It's made for D&D, but I'm wondering what we can come up with for Traveller.

They have:
Boons and Blessings
Charms
Pacts
Histories
Titles
Advanced Trainings

We already have Noble Titles in Traveller. Plus Military and Civilian Titles.

Could Advanced Trainings be done outside of CharGen?

One of the scenarios I was working on was a disaster brewing of Forboldn. And that if the crew succeeded, they would be know throughout the Subsector as the Forboldn Four (or Five depending). But if they failed, they could also be called that - just notoriously.

I'm thinking we could do something like:

Favors
Artifacts
Treaties

and

Histories
Titles
Advanced Trainings

wouldn't have to be changed.

But is this something better suited for CharGen and part of the Life Path? Or things to give out during the game?

I just saw on Patreon that Lone Colossus Games has a 'Tome of Intangible Treasures'. It's made for D&D, but I'm wondering what we can come up with for Traveller. [… Are “intangible treasures”] something better suited for CharGen and part of the Life Path? Or things to give out during the game?
In my view, it would depend upon how, uh, tangible those intangible treasures are. In a D&D setting, boons and blessings, charms, and histories are likely to be of minor (if any) tangibility; pacts and titles could range in tangibility; but advanced trainings are likely to have a tangible effect on (some) game mechanics. In a Traveller setting, histories would be of minor tangibility; favors, treaties, and titles could range in tangibility; but artifacts and advanced trainings would probably be tangible in their effects. I believe that the more tangible something is, the better suited it would be to appear outside of character generation.

Boons and Blessings - minor augmentations (drug glands, characteristic increase), unique equipment, refitting drives to military standard, refitting sensors to military standard, free room and board (and fuel), rejuvenation treatment

Charms - Soc increase, positive "social media" profiles", AI avatars

Pacts - alliances with various organisations

Histories - learning what is really going on

Titles - :)

Advanced Trainings - learning mew skills, improving skills and characteristics, see esoteric means in experience chapter.

Permit to carry weapons 1 LL lower on a specific world (ie. permit allows LL 5 weapon carry on this LL 6 world).

Reusable Courtesy Card ... grants +1 to ADMIN checks at STARPORTS.
Single use Courtesy Card ... grants 1 free annual maintenance at any NAVAL BASE.
Single use Courtesy Card ... grants 1 free annual maintenance at any SCOUT BASE.

Challenge Coin ... grants +1 to REACTION rolls from Marines/ex-Marines (or Navy, or Army, or Scout ... unique Coin per service)

RNA Learning ... injection grants SKILL-0 in a skill from any service: new skill can then be improved through normal "STUDY/IMPROVEMENT" rules.

Last edited:
Secret Society:
You have been admitted into a Secret Society. Each time you land on a new world, the REFEREE rolls 2d6 and on a 10+, you are contacted by a member of the SOCIETY.
  • 50% chance they require your assistance [treat as a Patron encounter]
  • 50% chance they have an opportunity for you [treat as a bonus speculative cargo roll].
The character may also seek out other members of the SOCIETY for assistance.
2D6 ...
  • [2-5] no members can be located
  • [6-7] they can offer minimal information/assistance
  • [8-9] they have some useful information or assistance to offer
  • [10+] they have an extensive local network and resources to assist a fellow member
EDIT: Just a note on game impact. With 25 jumps/worlds per year, a 10+ on 2d6 will result in about 2 patron encounters and 2 additional cargos per year. If you seek Society Information/Aid at all 25 worlds ... [10+] on 4 worlds, and [8-9] on 6 worlds and only none/minimal information on 15 worlds.

Last edited:
Back