• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Liftoff 1.2

I've rarely had any input into game development. I just saw games at the FLGS and picked them up. (I think I did write a letter(!) to Task Force Games once complaining about how weak SFB's Kzinti ships were.)

The 13Mann team has really gone out of their way to elicit comments and ideas about this product. And more, they are listening, even if they don't end up using the ideas. In my opinion, it's making Liftoff a better product.

So what? Follow the link above. Read the rules. Think about when you first picked up a LBB, or the Megatraveller rules, and what you thought about it, and maybe what confused you, and what you really liked. Then, maybe make a post to their boards about something in the rules you like, or don't like, or think should be added or changed or removed.

Remember that first Scout character you made? And how excited you were when he rolled up a Type S Scout/Courier as a mustering out benefit? That's it. That's what I'm talking about. Get in that mindset. Then go read.

(There, Aramis. You asked me to post something constructive. That's about as appealing as I can get. :D )

(There, Aramis. You asked me to post something constructive. That's about as appealing as I can get. :D )

Good post.

I've not had a read through of 1.2 yet (I've downloaded it, tho').

Just a warning for those who have never seen playtest documents before - most are art-free. Walls of text. These are no exception.

There's a lot there, and I've only skimmed 1.2 a bit (but I worked through 1.0 and 1.1 in detail).

Those sample characters are good to see. But I think maybe on the low side for skill levels. I'll have to post about it on the 13Mann board and see what the rationale is for that.

Those sample characters are good to see. But I think maybe on the low side for skill levels. I'll have to post about it on the 13Mann board and see what the rationale is for that.

They're built to a specific point total, ignoring attributes. Each template is a certain number of points.

I really like how easy this is to read. I wish T5 was written like this for clarity and ease of understanding. Its on my "to purchase list".

Also reading the colour text in the Players Handbook v1.2 (the fiction about Anders) it struck me that this is what the Spinward Traveller movie should be like. Well done to that writer.

The Liftoff writer is Martin Dougherty, with myself and Rouven Weinbach as design/development.

Personally I'm sick and tired of 'another set of rules for Traveller'. To me, it's saying that the 'official' rules are not good enough.

All I'm saying is, do we need ANOTHER rules set? When will the official rules be worthy enough to throw out all these 'alternate' rules?

Lol, maybe when the GUT of Traveller is accomplished :)

Which "official"rules are you referring to? MgT? T5? POD TTB, POD T4, POD TNE, any of the rule sets available on cd or as pdf downloads. Then there's GT, GT:ISW

It's not another rules set as such. It's an attempt at doing a starter set, a simple introduction to attract new players.

It is a simplification of MgT with lots of stuff in a box to attract new players, new young players instead of us old grogs constantly arguing about this and that.

Back