• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T4 Only: Meson Screen design help

snrdg082102

SOC-14 1K
Hello all,

I'm trying to verify the Predesigned Mesons Screen shown on T4 Book B Fire, Fusion, and Steel Table 142 page 99 following the process on p. 58

The table shows predesigned meson screens for ships < 1,000 displacement tons.

The first TL 12 meson screen on Table 142 appears to have an input of 10 MW.

On page 58 the meson screens statistics are calculated using the following:

Volume = 20 m^3 per MW; mass = 0.75t per m^3; antenna area = 10 m^2 per MW; and the price is 0.1 MCr per m^3.

Volume = 20 x 10 = 200 m^3 this matches the table
Mass = 0.75 x 200 m^3 = 150 t another match
Antenna Area = 10 x 10 = 100 m^2 the table has the area being 1 m^2
Cost = 200 x .1 MCr = 20 MCr three out of four match.

I've checked for errata and did not find anything about this particular issue.

The possibilities I see are that

1. The antenna area formula is really .1 m^2 per MW or
2. The Antenna Area on Table 142 is supposed to be 100 instead of 1.

I also checked TNE FF&S and the write-ups match which also return that the meson screen antenna area is 100 m^2.

Can anyone help me out on how to correctly calculate the meson screen antenna area please?

Evening Mike Wightman,

Thank you for the reply.

I would go with the numbers from TNE FF&S, the T4 version of FF&S is too much effort to correct.

The design rule for meson screens in T4 FF&S, with the exception of the Size Modifier table, are identical to those in TNE FF&S. In T4 the protected volume column uses volume and in TNE the same column title size uses the descriptors of small and medium.

If I had a TNE table of predesigned meson screens I would check them both using T4, unfortunately I haven't found anything in the books I have pulled out of storage.

Anyway, using either T4 or TNE the Antenna area calculation returns a value of 100 m^2.

I have time to spend some effort on T4 since I've given up any attempt to correct the bad ships in CT using the original design and construction for the hull. Part of the reason for the bad ships, in my opinion, was too much effort to correct. In my case I'm just not up to the task.

Have a good one.

My guess would be that the errors in ship designs stem from building them before the design sequence and component properties were finalized.

Then, instead of redesigning from scratch, they figure the changes they made weren't that big a deal, or they forget to apply them to some designs. I've noticed this in my own ship design spreadsheets; you find an error, and you've designed a dozen ships, and you forget to carry over the corrected formulas to all the earlier sheets.

Hello TheDS,

My guess would be that the errors in ship designs stem from building them before the design sequence and component properties were finalized.

Then, instead of redesigning from scratch, they figure the changes they made weren't that big a deal, or they forget to apply them to some designs. I've noticed this in my own ship design spreadsheets; you find an error, and you've designed a dozen ships, and you forget to carry over the corrected formulas to all the earlier sheets.

In short you are correct based on the replies I received from the authors of the T4 construction rules. One of my projects has been to do a review of the rules with the goal of someday providing , in theory, a corrected system of the constructions and provided system design. Unfortunately, my efforts have stumbled to a halt since I have not been able to verify my numbers with anybody on other forums.

Thnak you for the reply.

Back