• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Rules Only: Newbie, I need some help please.

My friends and I have recently started playing Traveller and we've ran into some questions we don't have answers for. I'm sorry if these questions have been asked and answered before, but I'm at wits end here and would appreciate any help. We are playing the Mongoose version. Black and red cover.
First up. Auto-fire.
A. Auto-fire states that you can only benefit from one DM for the skill you're using. Does this mean a max of one DM or can you also add your Dex bonus which technically isn't a 'skill'.

B. If you Auto-fire at the same target and hit every time does the target get his armor for each hit? Or does the armor get subtracted from the total of all the hits?

Effects
When the book talks about, for example, under damage it said add the effect roll to the damage. What exactly does that mean? I know what the effect table is but I'm not really sure what they mean when they say add the effect. I know laser weapons can make someone blind but that's it.

Aim
Can someone stand still each round of combat and aim with his minor action and get a +1 DM on every attack?
Can aim be used for melee?

I think that's all I have right now. Thanks in advance.

Effects
When the book talks about, for example, under damage it said add the effect roll to the damage. What exactly does that mean? I know what the effect table is but I'm not really sure what they mean when they say add the effect. I know laser weapons can make someone blind but that's it.

The Effect Table is on p.50. You add a bonus to your damage roll based on the difference between what you rolled to hit versus what you needed to hit. So if the total on your attack roll (after all applicable DMs, both good and bad) is 11, for example, that is 3 more than the roll of 8 needed to hit. So you get a damage bonus of 3 additional points. In other words, the better your hit, the more damage you do.

A) It's a skill check. You always add your Dex DM. But your skill only counts as skill level 1, even if you have a higher skill level. So, if you have skill Gun( Slug Rifle )-2 and auto fires an ACR (Auto 6), you roll six dice, arrange them into pairs as you see fit, add +1 for skill and your Dex DM to each pair.

B) Each hit is a separate Attack, so a separate damage roll and armour is deducted from each hit.

Aim) Yes, if you do nothing else you can Aim and then Attack in each round. (In the second edition they have added that you cannot combine Aim and auto-fire, which I think makes sense.)

Aim in Melee) The rules are unclear. You have to use your judgement as Referee. I would not allow it. (if you stand still, concentrating on aiming in melee, I would give the opponent a bonus.)

I hope I didn't confuse the matter further...

Back