• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Nuclear missile & Bomb-pumped Laser missilequestion

snrdg082102

SOC-14 1K
Hello all,
I need some help, on page 271 the Small craft and Starship Weapon Types table in Traveller20 - The Traveller's Handbook lists the following data.

1. Nuclear Missile*

Damage dice: D; Threat Range: 17; Critical Damage: x2; Special Damage (dice): Radiation (d10)

*All missiles do a base 5d6 +1d6 per USP factor (not added to Radiation damage).

A ship has an USP 6 rating for missile turrets. If I've got this down then the ship launches a salvo of nuclear missiles all of which hit the target would roll 5d6 + 6d6 or 11d6 to determine damage.

Bomb-pumped Laser Missile***

Damage dice: d10; Threat Range: 19; Critical Damage: x1; Special Damage (dice): No entries

***Treat bomb-pumped laser missiles as 1d6 (+1 extra hit per USP factor) from a pulse laser with no radiation damage.

I'm not clear how the bomb-pumped laser works in simple to understand terms.

From what I remember...take this with a 5 pound bag of salt...a bomb pumped laser is a nuke that just before detonation ejects several x-ray laser rods...when the nuke detonates and just before the rods are vaporized...the rods are generate a laser pulse like a standard laser weapon does...

This lets you use nukes and get around those pesky nuclear dampers as the nuke detonates out of the dampers range...

Plus the x-ray laser pulse...at one per rod...can cut down on the target ships armor rating.

This is as I have stated...based upon my admittedly faulty memory...So...

Use at your own risk.

Evening selunatic,

From what I remember...take this with a 5 pound bag of salt...a bomb pumped laser is a nuke that just before detonation ejects several x-ray laser rods...when the nuke detonates and just before the rods are vaporized...the rods are generate a laser pulse like a standard laser weapon does...

This lets you use nukes and get around those pesky nuclear dampers as the nuke detonates out of the dampers range...

Plus the x-ray laser pulse...at one per rod...can cut down on the target ships armor rating.

This is as I have stated...based upon my admittedly faulty memory...So...

Use at your own risk.

Thanks for the reply and digging through the wet ware memory banks. My apologies for not being clear on what I was asking to have clarified.

Bomb-pumped Laser Missile***

The BPL missile has a USP of 5.

Damage dice: d10; Threat Range: 19; Critical Damage: x1; Special Damage (dice): No entries

***Treat bomb-pumped laser missiles as 1d6 (+1 extra hit per USP factor) from a pulse laser with no radiation damage

What is throwing me is that the table shows that the the BPL rolls 5d10 damage dice while the note BPL pulse laser uses 1d6 + 5 USP with no radiation damage.

Does a BL case d10 or 1d6 dice of damage?

BPL with a USP of 5 works like this:

Roll 1d6+5 for number of hits, each of which does 1d10 damage. You then will do 6d10 to 11d10 damage to the target.

Hope that helps.

Shadowdragon

Back