• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Post-collapse Traveller

Don't take virus and K'Kree down the 1248 path. The key is to exploit human frailties on an AI level. The Aware are best run as children of a new race in their emotional teens, if any comparison can be made.

That being said, I like my TNE based campaign. Having a couple of fringe sectors might be interesting, but I think there is plenty to do within 3I space. Have a fragment survive from one of the noble realms or other interstellar governments.

Suffren sounds good but do your own thing. IMTU they did more combinations than the 300t gazelle/ 100t scout merged design. And that design needs deck plans. Remember, the Solomani occupation was near Suffren. They could have emassed many damaged ships prior to Virus entering the war.

Wilds are all well and good but civilizations trying to keep interstellar trade moving or get off planet is also interesting. Not everything needs to be a stereotype, Firefly moon, undead roaming horror or TED.

Not sure if this is the correct place, but I'll ask.

On the verge of starting a traveller game and I like the idea put forward in the traveller wiki about the post-collapse era of known space. I imagine the players setting off and discovering many strange things in unknown or forgotten places.

The traveller system (CT/MgT/T4/T5 etc) is not a worry, but without reading up on the New Era material (I have MgT and CT in hardcopy) are there any "gimmies" I should be aware of? I imagine that as it's IMTU anything goes. But how could I impliment things like travellermap in a post-collapse era game? My limited understanding is that the T5ss data is dated prior to that. Or am I wrong/missing the point?

The T5ss data is totally before the Collapse, which started in 1130 and proceeded over the next decade or so.

The GDW books (year 1202) can be found on eBay in print and DriveThruRPG for PDFs. Avenger had published an update to 1248, but it's all OOP once Mongoose took over.

You mentioned you're just starting out so I have no idea what you know and explaining everything would take too long to do, but here are a few points:

GDW spared the Spinward Marches area so it hasn't been affected. Except for a couple of pocket empires (Solee, Reformation Coalition), most of the rest was considered Wilds. But Avenger took a different tack. There were many other surviving small states: Vland, the 4th Imperium, and others. There are even Viral states. I was glad that Avenger did that as it helped to break up the big ocean of Wilds that plagued GDW's setting.

One thing I didn't see discussed in this thread was the Empress Wave (EW). This was determined to be some kind of EM phenomenon with a strong psionic component. It was explained that this was why Strephon was away from Capital (investigating the data from the Longbow II project). But of course, while he was away his clone was assassinated and everybody went gonzo.

The game effects of the EW were left up to individual GMs. But its strong psionic component is believed to be what led to the Zhodani Civil War and Exodus.

If you need more info, feel free to PM me.

Avenger had published an update to 1248, but it's all OOP once Mongoose took over.

If you're talking about the 1248 material in general, Marc sells the 1248 PDFs on a CD-ROM. If you're referring to something subsequent to that... then "never mind".

Back