• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Recent History of Spinward Marches

Having looked at the Mongoose V2 character generation events, there are 25 external events that the character is potentially involved in during any given term of their history.

Assuming an 1105 setting, what would you match to each and every of those events in the 10 terms since 1065?
Secret (Agency) worth killing for
Corruption at top level
Criminal Gang
Major Under Cover Investigaton
Major Mission
Disasterous Battle
Urban War
Brutal Ground War
Surrounded/Siege
Peacekeping
Political Coup
Secret (Corporate)
Scandal
Political Leader Falls
Major Art Theft
Artistic Prize
Fortress Assault
Planetary Assault and Occupation
Black Operation
Space Battle
Diplomatic Mission
Political Conspiracy
Gang War
Shipping Disaster
Prison Break

I think I'd not make a list. Thats too much work. Rather I'd hit the wiki and look up the events from the TAS News Timeline, and work those in instead. Both as news and meta plot, and as potential adventure ideas and plotlines, as well as looking for things that happened to flesh out a players backstory with actual events (Just count the years backwards in to when the term of the event happened and look over the TAS News headlines for the events of those years Let the player choose one that suits their needs. If nothings there, let them make up an event that "fits" your game and head on).

I have also found that using the timeline as a resource in a long running campaign gives you GREAT headlines when players arrive out of jump, plus it can clue them in on adventure rich areas, or places to avoid. Just make sure that you're accounting for time lag (ie headlines from Regina wouldn't be found on worlds 12 parsecs away for a minimum of 18 to 24 days, assuming relay by x-boat). If you don't account for this, you will miss little gems like the players jumping to a world that's now under enemy control, but because of the time lag of news, didn't know the system came under attack and fell on the day before they left, or even jumping in DURING the battle. (I have actually run a years long campaign solely by using the timeline and letting the players pick their own paths from the headlines i gave them)

The years you listed (1065 - 1105 Im ) are rich with events on the timeline as that's a period detailed by a LOT products over the years, so it should be an easy place to get your answers.

(IIRC wasn't Strephon's coronation the BIG event of 1065 Im? )

Last edited:
possibly in the files section there is a complete history from all the JTAS and books and supplements and everything. I use that when I need dates.

And yes - in the misc section in the files section. Various Don M. files

It is amazing how many of the events listed above have no mention in the event lists in the wiki. The old publications weren't aimed at providing that level of complex detail.

Back