• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Reservist-class Field Repair Ship

Let me add my .02Cr worth to this one. For background, I was stationed on the Big "E" in the yards for some minor repairs and on the Nimwitz during construction. I also worked at Charleston Naval Shipyards for 12 years including being loaned to a floating drydock for several months.

Why don't we combine a couple ideas from the first part of the thread. Take your 5 Ktn repair ship and 3 5 Ktn freighters as your mobile space dock. The repair ship has the repair facilities, 2 of the frieghters cary supplies and the 3rd carries the framework. All have J-3, and M-1. The framework is setup and the ships dock to specified docking ports outside the framework. Dock the ship or ships to be repaired inside the framework and setup atmospheric containment and grave plates and start work. When repairs are complete, pump down your atmosphere to storage and open her up again just like letting water into or out of a drydock. How does this sound?

Originally posted by Andy Fralix:
Why don't we combine a couple ideas from the first part of the thread. Take your 5 Ktn repair ship and 3 5 Ktn freighters as your mobile space dock. The repair ship has the repair facilities, 2 of the frieghters cary supplies and the 3rd carries the framework. All have J-3, and M-1. The framework is setup and the ships dock to specified docking ports outside the framework. Dock the ship or ships to be repaired inside the framework and setup atmospheric containment and grave plates and start work. When repairs are complete, pump down your atmosphere to storage and open her up again just like letting water into or out of a drydock. How does this sound?
Now this I like.

I like it, too. Especially if we can include a few of Piper's Fleet Tugs as part of the repair squadron. :D

Make it a one-stop repair/refit base. Maybe an ammunition ship and a crew transfer vessel? Something that holds a large frozen watch to replace crew casualties?
Anyone feel up to designing the Popsicle-Class crew replacement vessel?

Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
Piper,

Can you write it up as a single rules blurb?
Will do, but I want to look over the numbers on Fritz88's tonnage idea first.
I should be able to get it out tonight.

Also, I hadn't considered the cost of this on Book 5 large systems. An average roll using this system as-is to repair a type-T Meson gun would require 700 dtons of repair parts and 700 man-days of labor.
Any thoughts on this? Maybe capping the damage on large systems to 25% or reducing the damage percentage based on the number of factors lost?
Maybe: (2d6-7 +1 for each damage factor) times 10%? This would make the cost of repairing a single hit on a Type-T range from negligeable to a max of 600 MCr.
The 25% cap would be 250 MCr.

Hmm, components for the repair ships.

collapsible pressure hull - must be 10% larger than the ship it is to enclose (source High Guard) when erect, can be collapsed down to 10% of its full size (source FF&S2)

ship cradle - 50t per 100t of ship to be worked on (source GT Starports)

scaffolding - 1t per 1t of ship to enclose, collapses down to 1% of full size.

Originally posted by Piper:
Also, I hadn't considered the cost of this on Book 5 large systems. An average roll using this system as-is to repair a type-T Meson gun would require 700 dtons of repair parts and 700 man-days of labor.
Any thoughts on this? Maybe capping the damage on large systems to 25% or reducing the damage percentage based on the number of factors lost?
Reading through Trillion Credit Squadron again, more carefully this time ;) , there is this rule that may help:
Systems which were reduced to partial factor cost one fourth the full price times the percentage lost
So if a factor T meson gun is reduced to, let's say, factor E then repairs would cost:

MCr1000 x 0.25x (13/27) = MCr120.37

A similar system could be used for spare parts and man-hours

Dockyard Repairs

This is an experimental rule designed to provide a guideline for time, personnel and cargo requirements for fleet repair ships. This rule is intended to supplement the damage control rules in Book 2 and Book 5.

Calculating Repair Costs
The cost to repair damaged systems is calculated by the following formula:
(cost of system) x 1/4 x (% of damage)
Example: a factor T meson gun reduced to factor E would cost:
MCr1000 x 0.25x (13/27) = MCr120.37

The cost to repair a fuel, hull, or cargo hit is equal to the cost of 1 ton of hull material including any factors for configuration, streamlining, and armor.

Repair Crew
Repairs are conducted by specially assigned technicians. Technicians require repair shops to be able to conduct repairs. 1 repair shop is required for each specialty (mechanical, electronic and engineering). Each shop can support 20 technicians. Regardless of the type of repair, all technicians can be counted when calculating available repair crew.
Example: if you have 120 technicians, dividing them into 3 specialties gives 40 per specialty. They would then require 2 of each type of workshop.

Calculating Repair Time
Each repair technician can install 0.2 MCr worth of repair parts per day.

Repair Parts as Cargo
1MCr of repair parts occupies 1 ton of cargo space. This is a generalized figure representing the wide variety of materials needed to perform most repairs.
Systems that need to be replaced rather than repaired use their normal volume and price figures.
The volume of parts required to repair a unit may not exceed the original volume of the unit.

Notes: After going thru TCS, I jumped the manpower requirements way up. The meson repair cited above would take something like 600 man-days to perform. This is in line with the numbers in TCS, but I think they're very pessimistic. Feel free to adjust this to your own taste.

I suggest tracking parts by cost with volume as a limiting factor on the amount a ship may carry. The 1MCR per ton figure seems reasonable for general repair work. As with the man-hour figures, this is easily adjusted to suit personal taste.

Per Striker (the only rules I have that address this) 1 repair shop is required for each specialty (mechanical, electronic and engineering). Each shop can support 20 technicians. so, you would have to have workshops to support your repair crew in that ratio.
As an example: if you have 120 technicians, dividing them into 3 specialties gives 40 per specialty. They would then require 2 of each type of workshop.

Good catch. I'll edit the post.

The 600 man-days gives a good idea on how to fit out a repair ship.

You can run through some simple scenarios of damage and what you would want to be able to repair "in the field" vs bringing the ship home.

So, for example, you need 120+ tons of parts for a Spinal mount repair, but it can be argued that those parts may not be carried at all (or not enough parts), so you can say "we have 200 tons of parts, but they can only be used for 10MCr repairs or less". So, you might have parts to repair lots of turrets and what not, but anything that would cost more that 10MCr, would have to go back to a home port.

I think that makes a little more sense to visualize versus just a heaping pile-o-parts enough to for any situation, and helps distinguish field repair from dock repair. You could also do something like "100 Tons of parts usable only for repairs between 50 and 100 MCr". This gives you a nice way to think about outfitting your repair fleet, without saying "jump drive parts", "spinal meson" parts, etc. Rather, parts for small, medium and large projects.

Good idea, Whartung. It would depend on whether one was using small ship or large ship settings but the idea of capping the amount of damage that is field-repairable is sound.
Some damage is just too large to repair anywhere but a starport.

Spot on, whartung! And (with the lower limit) anything small can be fixed with damage control on board the original ship.

But, of course, this doesn't take into account the matter synthesizers, which simply make whatever it is you need overnight! :D

Originally posted by Fritz88:
But, of course, this doesn't take into account the matter synthesizers, which simply make whatever it is you need overnight! :D
Well, you know it almost could. ;)
If you make the parts worth 0.1MCR times TL per ton instead of a flate rate, your stock would be smaller at higher TL's.

Back