• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Sabredog's Traveller Game

creativehum

SOC-14 1K
In another thread sabredog wrote:
My campaign is on a brief hiatus while I run a Dark Albion campaign, but a couple of months from now I'll start it up again and alternate game days between it and Dark Albion. The same players are in both campaigns, plus or minus a couple in either who prefer one to the other so we'll just keep a-gamin'.

But in my campaign, over the rest of the year, my OTU will go through another civil war on the frontier, a potentially apocalyptic invasion by an alien race during the civil war, and then a moral crisis for the players involving A) the possible destruction of an alien race, B) the potential destruction of mankind, C) or maybe if they play their cards right, the players might become heroes and then go on to more adventures after a suitable reward.

Or something like all that...high adventure and sword n' blaster capers, that's the only thing for sure...

Face to face old-school Classic Traveller. We play for about 4-5 hours every other week. There is a core of 6 players (not counting me) and 2-3 others that drift in and out depending on what we are playing; some prefer Traveller and some Dark Albion.

Sabredog, do you mind if I ask a few questions?
  1. How did the group form? (Did you know everyone before the game started?)
  2. How did you pitch the game?
  3. What, if anything, was unique about character creation?
  4. How big a "setting" did you start with? (Was it focused on a section of space? Or a huge star-spanning empire where the PCs could go anywhere?)
  5. What is the setting like? (Were conflicts between forces beyond the PCs already baked in? Did the Players know about them or did they have to discover them as they went? How many worlds did you start with and what sort of detail did you have prepped?)
  6. How what was the first session like? (Did you offer a Patron job to kick things off? Rumors? Start them as merchants plying the star lanes? Were the Players offered any focus on how to get rolling? Or was everything completely open for them to figure out as they stumbled along?)
  7. What is a session of play like? (What sorts of events or activities engage the group on a given evening?)
  8. What sorts of things do the PCs do during play? (What sorts of actions, activities, rolls, roleplaying, anything else do the PCs do during a session? Can you give any examples of particularly representative moments?)

That's a lot! I know! But I you have a successful game running regularly at a game store and I'd love to know a bit about how you set it up!

Last edited:
I'm more than happy to talk about myself.

Seriously, though. I'll write some answers up and send it back at you by tomorrow....gotta go get the kids now and I'll be gone most of the evening.

1. How did the group form? (Did you know everyone before the game started?)

. The last group I played with about 3 or so years ago I knew from way back and we had all played together in some game or another on and off since High School back in 1980.
I didn't know any of the players in the current group beforehand. One of the players contacted me here because he was looking for a game in the area. From there I put it together with a combination of advertising the game was looking for players on the calendar at the game store we play at and setting up a Meet Up group online. From there it has been word of mouth. As new players drift in and out some stick around and become part of the campaign.
2. How did you pitch the game?

On the game calendar and Meet Up I said I was

"running an old-school sword n' blaster science fiction campaign using the Classic Traveller rules for some two-fisted high adventure among the frontiers of the Terran Empire. Mongoose Traveller rules will be used to expand the psionics and trade, but otherwise it is pretty much going to be the Little Black Books 1-5. Keeping it simple, with the emphasis on the story, action, and adventure being where I want to go with this."

"The campaign has been running fairly continuously, even if only I'm working on expanding it and filing in the blanks between campaigns, since I first started playing Traveller in 1977. Because this was long before the official Traveller Universe of the Imperium came about it had to all be made up by me. DOn't worry about the lack of sourcebooks and having to know official canon rules: we'll learn it all together as you develop your characters and play the game. The rules will be our guide and keep things consistent, and I have plenty of copies to let people borrow during the game."
"Bring your 6-sided dice, what Traveller rules you might have, paper + pens, and imagination."

I printed up my usual player campaign sourcebook geared towards this particular campaign and story arc, and gave or emailed the players (as they joined) all of the player files I have on my future history up to this point in the overall campaign universe, house rules, combat tables on an easy spreadsheet, character sheets, and my library data on alien races, animals, worlds, maps, civilian and military ships, etc. It all gets periodically updated with new info and occasional color articles on things like languages, or how Jump Traffic is handled in a system. Keeps it fresh and alive feeling for the players.

3. What, if anything, was unique about character creation?

Not a lot. We used either the Mongoose rules for players who wanted something that was in those (mainly because they wanted to use the random background charts or something like that), and the Classic Trav rules from books 1, 4, 5. I use the alternate Scout Service rules that were written by Andrew Boulton a long time ago since they are less "bureaucratic" and fit my game better. Scouts are adventurous to the point of near-suicidal and never want their butts in an office chair.

The only things I go easy on are that I allow rolling 3 dice in the order of the attributes (ST, DX,...) and dropping the low one OR roll 2 dice and pick the attributes they go into.

4. How big a "setting" did you start with? (Was it focused on a section of space? Or a huge star-spanning empire where the PCs could go anywhere?)

It was a single subsector when it started out waaaay back when. Now it is 24 subsectors and pretty dense at that. The players can go anywhere they want to, though they might not always be welcome or survive the trip. The vast majority of the action takes place along the "Frontier" of what used to be the Terran Confederation, and now the newly born (20 years old anyway) Terran Empire. There is also a few "lost" or unexplored subsectors for players who want to go off the deep end, and more civilized places for those who want to run in that kind of game.

It may seem like a small universe, but I've found over time that the players rarely even consider travelling more than three or four subsectors because of the time and expense. So after a brief bit of flying all over the place they tend to settle into what they want to do for adventuring in a more contained area. The Frontier is four subsectors of a combination of new and older colonies that may or may not be aligned with the Terran Empire, with three largely or completely unexplored subsectors attached to the farthest edges of those. Even in a couple of the Frontier subsectors there a couple of "lost" worlds that were either lost track of during conflicts or because Scouts who found them kept them off the maps for one reason or another - usually for personal gain.

5. What is the setting like? (Were conflicts between forces beyond the PCs already baked in? Did the Players know about them or did they have to discover them as they went? How many worlds did you start with and what sort of detail did you have prepped?)

The players all got copies of a background history for the universe that tells them everything they need to know about The Big Picture and how they fit in it - it is enough to give them background to start from and I worked with each to help flesh out whatever details they wanted for their own PC's.

For example: one PC was a non-inheriting noble who got a yacht on mustering out. I worked out his background by imaging him to be the third some of an industrialist who made his fortune building the grav-cruisers tourists used on a wild world for sightseeing and vacations. The PC was probably never going inherit that, being something of a black sheep, and the yacht was actually the older one the family used thiry years ago and been just sitting in a hangar gathering dust and maintenance bills. So his mother, who had a softer spot for the kid, talked dad into giving the kid the keys and an allowance that was enough each month to keep fuel and life support in the ship. Beyond that he has to go out and do on his own. He can't sell it...but eventually did anyway to cover a gambling debt. But then he was killed by a horrid beastie a few months later so he never had to fess up to mom and dad about the old family truckster.

The date is 2466 and mankind has been among the stars now for about 300 years. This "near" future universe keeps things in the Outland/Alien/Firefly sort of environment I like best and seems to suit Traveller in a lot of ways. It is close enough to our time that it is easy to understand and "get" without having to explain everything over and over. It jibes with shotguns in spaceships, clunky computers (I define the reason for the room sized puters as being that they are spread out all over the ship, like the 20-ton bridge is), and means the colonies are not very heavily populated and advanced at all with only a few exceptions.

So it has a definite Wild West feel at times when only a couple thousand people might live on the entire planet and they were sent there because they answered an ad from a megacorp looking to exploit the place's resources and desperate colonials are cheap. Some worlds have millions, and some have billions, it depends a lot on why the world was developed in the first place and location, location, location.

So, the players tend to run around the 30 or so main frontier worlds but can go anywhere they want to, and do whatever they want if that's how they want to play. The Terran Empire consists of 12 subsectors "on the map", meaning they are in play because they are between Earth and the Frontier. Nobody ever went the other direction so those only exist in my notebooks now. The official Frontier is 4 subsectors long bordering the Terran Empire and Askorrian Protectorates. The Askorrians are the major bad guys in the game and are always grinding against the Terrans along the Frontier and elsewhere. The Rules Of Space Opera require two huge empires facing against each other and these two are it. There is a subsector of aliens who have sealed their borders for complicated reasons it would take like 10 pages to explain and have to do with the current campaign arc. There are a couple of other Major races with their own territories in either the Terran Empire or the Protectorate. Plus the lost subsectors and a couple of non-aligned colonial subsectors who use to be in the Terran Confederation but when that collapsed after the last war 20 years ago they decided they'd try for independence.

Detail-wise, in the beginning it was only the stats from Book 3 and it all grew organically from there, with some things tried and discarded while others stuck around and grew some more. I was 14 so I developed my future history from the Cold War era on forward and it was pretty bleak. A lot of influences from the classic sifi writers and then lots of it from the cyberpunk and new wave science fiction movements. It also has horror and sometimes enough pulp to move a whale's blocked bowels but that's what I like sometimes. I like to think any universe ought to big enough to have anything in it. Each world is developed depending on what's around it, why it was colonized (or not), and from there it gets a biome and similar details.

For example:The shrimp-stinking world I mentioned on the "The Opposition" thread is Kuklakan. It is a water world with a few scattered islands that hold the primary industry of cultivating and harvesting the gigantic masses of shrimps that form around the algae mats the corporation seeded the world with. The islands are surrounded by tidal reef networks that have mud surges through them that feed the majority of the smaller local animal life. Deep bell-shaped chutes in the shallow platforms before the abyssal drop-off have black smokers in them with a sort of chimney chute leading up to the open sea that the heated water rushes up to.

These bells have masses of biol-luminescent crustaceans in the bottom that feed off the nutrients pouring out of the smokers and detritus supplied by the giant sea reptile "kuklakans" the world was named after. These have large flat scales a dazzling silver white in color that they regulate body heat with by fanning them open like metal feathers. They have huge saucer eyes and are air breathing until the breeding season, when they change to allow diving deep into the bells to lay eggs. After that they change again to air-breathers which forces the monsters to live near the surface, benefiting the hatchlings who can then grow without being eaten by their larger parents.

People come to Kuklakan to go kuklakan-watching, fishing, diving, and there are rumors of underwater alien ruins in some of the bell shafts but you need steel nerves for that sort of diving.

6. How what was the first session like? (Did you offer a Patron job to kick things off? Rumors? Start them as merchants plying the star lanes? Were the Players offered any focus on how to get rolling? Or was everything completely open for them to figure out as they stumbled along?)

The gang started in their favorite old-Scouts-bar, The Pit. It's next to Pit 4 in the heavy lifter section of the starport and shakes when large bulk carriers are brought out of their berths for loading and take-off. The ex-Scout PC had a scoutship but the yardmaster called and said he couldn't let them lift without the required part replacements needed to meet safety requirements. Because there isn't a scout base on this world, and because they didn't have enough to buy the parts, they went out looking for work or for parts to 'borrow' if they could find work.

After living in the upstairs "coffin hotel" the owner of The Pit keeps for Scouts only who are in transit, they got a call from the yardmaster about ferrying a newly launched ship to it's new owner. Their scoutship would be the bridge for the new ship, because of a design feature, and the new owner was willing to buy the required parts if the players would ferry the ship to the owner's world.

From there he became their patron and they went off on a wild expedition tracking down ancient alien astronauts and ruins along the Frontier, discovering why a colony suddenly vanished on a lost world (almost taking the players, too), explored places nobody had ever been to, got shanghaied into a Space Viking crew, fought Askorrians, pirates, and are now so far off the path it staggers the imagination.

It was all fueled by rumors, patron desires, NPC actions random and otherwise, and eventually it all morphed into the players really being in charge and the patron flat broke and on the run from authorities, and now they all work together with some aliens in an unexplored wild region faaar off the map.
I started small, with the players exploring the world they started on while looking for work and waiting for news on ships heading out. They were free to do whatever they wanted but I also have a story arc.

The arc keeps me on track with what is going on in my universe. It is written as if the players are not involved, then is updated as the game moves along based on what the PC's and NPC's do in the game, and what larger changes (political, military, social) happen along the way. I really enjoy comparing the before and after when the campaign ends and a new one begins.

7. What is a session of play like? (What sorts of events or activities engage the group on a given evening?)

It depends on a lot of things. First we have the usual BS session and catching up from the last time we got together. That lasts about half an hour and then I do any side planning with any players who want to look into things on the side, like they want me to know they keeping an eye out for a particular weapon, suit, piece of gear, or drugs, etc.. That way i'll let them know if they come across them like in a window or something, but mainly they are just letting me know some of their goals this session if possible to do them.

I do a quick recap of the last time our heroes were seen, and we dive in from there. Depending on the situation it could be anything. Our last one has the gang shipwrecked on a completely unknown world far, far from the frontiers and tracking down a lost Scout expedition that found evidence of having crashed here 100 years ago. They found the wreckage, which due to the really arid atmosphere, and the ship being buried half underground, they think they might be able to salvage enough off the M-Drives to at least get their own ship off this place and out to the 100 dia jump point.

Because this world has a 1.3 gravity their ship's damaged M-drive with only 1 G acceleration (it normally does 4G) won't cut it. But if they can squeeze .4G out of the drives with the parts from this wreck - even if they blow out once they get past the gravity well they'll be able to safely jump to where they know they have a dock. It can be surprising how far away a dead-end world is when you are stranded on it.

We left off after one of the players fell into a tunnel deep inside the wreck when the dirt under him collapsed. The tunnel looks like it was dug but something about his size so it might be the end for our hero. Meanwhile, the rest of the group is keeping an anxious eye on the horizon because the locals here don't like anyone to remove anything from this part of the world because it is holy land and the gods' property. Even crashed ships from long ago.

8. What sorts of things do the PCs do during play? (What sorts of actions, activities, rolls, roleplaying, anything else do the PCs do during a session? Can you give any examples of particularly representative moments?)

Players roll their own dice and I roll mine behind my ancient referee shield from Judges Guild. I like my rolls secret for two reasons: one, the players don't always know all the factors involved in some rolls and I don't want to give anything away, and two, sometimes I fudge in favor a player who does something really worthy of a little divine intervention. Like he saves the rest of the party from certain doom, so he survives certain death himself, scarred and with permanent losses in something maybe, but at least he is alive. If it is too obvious, though I never do that...only on the marginal calls which I try to make in favor of the players who are really trying.
We try to emphasis roleplaying, but it mainly comes down to just making sure you only act on info as your character would even if you know otherwise. Other groups were more heavily into being in-character all the time...this one is about 60/40. We are pretty casual and have become really good friends through the game.

They have done a really good job of playing their characters, too, as the sort of characters you would find in my universe. For example, other than exploring a huge thing the Scouts do is Colony Support. It's like a cross between mentoring the colonists so they don't starve due to ineptitude, and providing security Fort-Apache style if the need arises. Eventually the colony has to stand on its own, but until then the boys and girls in the slouch hats man the walls between the bug-eyed monsters and the colony women they have unholy interests in.

So the players at one point found themselves on this little undeveloped world with about 100 colonists. It used to be 2000 or so, but the Prox (aliens in the next subsector, 4 Jumps away) have been driving them out one way or another. The 100 men, women, and children left were the ones determined to stay even if because they have nowhere else to go. The players found this place because they had been hired to haul some farm equipment here by a couple of the colonists they met on a world on the other side of the subsector.

Once the containers were off-loaded and opened the players saw the settlers had bought for themselves two good tractors, an old armored fighting vehicle, and a pile of guns and ammunition that looked like it was surplus from the last war. The plan was to use the fruit of all the money they had had left to buy this stuff with and defend their colony to the bitter end if needs be. Judging by what the old tank and guns looked like the crew figured that was how it would end, too.

Of the 7 PC's 5 wanted to leave (This ain't our fight, and even if we beat them this time the Prox'll just come back again with more...these farmers are dead meat.), and the other two wanted to stay. They were ex-Scouts and they played ex-Scouts. They refused to leave, and wanted to help the colonists defend the place...or, try to at least get the women and kids out if things go badly. Since one of them was the only pilot the ship had the rest groaned about it but had to stay, too.

The colonists made them all real lemonade and had a big outdoor lunch set up in thanks. The men dug trenches and under the supervision of a PC ex-Marine made some traps to funnel Prox troops into killing zones in the little "town". Everyone picked a spot to fight from, and the smarter ones picked a second fall back spot to make their stand at. When the Prox ships (2) landed outside town and their troops formed up, the town and players were ready.

The fight was a hoot - very old Western with lots of fun playing to the different characters and plying up the odd things that happened. Like how one guy who became known as The Old Man, was in his house shooting it out from his living room - laying out one Prox soldier after another with his old shotgun. He became the focus of an epic story where the players insisted he was crouched behind his favorite Lazy-boy chair and "Dammit, I'm not letting any damn alien chase me outta my house, I been here 50 years n'll be here another 50, by gum!" Blam-blam..... He actually survived the battle and was the town hero after he showed up alive in the basement of his by then burning and rubbled house.

Two PC's were killed during equally heroic actions: one getting the women and children to the PC's ship for possible evacuation at a point where they thought they were going to lose the fight, and the other was sniping from a hide that a Prox drone found and blew up after he killed several officers in the initial attack.

Finally, the Prox had to give up when the players decided to chance attacking the Prox ships while they were on the ground and mostly empty - almost all the prox being involved in all-but-mopping-up the town's remaining defenders.

The PC's took off and made a controlled crash landing right between the two Prox ships, destroying one (and seriously damaging their own do so), and blowing the bridge off the other. When the Prox troops saw that they surrendered honorably, and the players negotiated a joint colony effort between the aliens and the colonists. The PC's returned a game-year later and the place is doing well. In fact, two PC's came from there: Prox brothers nicknamed Nippy and Rippy.

I've probably buried you now in minutiae and drivel that had nothing to do with your questions, but I hope I still managed in the mess to answer them? You can ask more, and we can compare notes, etc.. if you want. PM me your email and we'll do it that way if you want more info so it's easier. I get to rambling because of my meds sometimes so if you want clarification on your questions here just ask.

Lifting the spread out computer thing, that fits perfectly with the CT computer damage rules and kind of a move of mine to the computer being the full EM/sensors/comms subsystems.

I also really like the 'set the arc and roll with the players disrupting it' approach.

Thanks so much for all of that. Really loved it.

There weren't many surprises (you were clear about what you were playing, you provided concrete options to the players and let them act on them, you created new circumstances for the players as the PCs made decisions and took action).

But I loved all the detail. Sounds really great.

Back