• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T5 - MGT conversions

robject

SOC-14 10K
Admin Award
Marquis
It's a benchmark. As a GM, if I look at ArmorMaker output and see it produces values that appear to be roughly triple those of MongTrav's Core Rules I conclude the rulesets are not compatible.

AH! Yes, I understand your point now. You're coming at it from a theoretical point of view.

In fact, T5 is not triple that of MgT, it's a square root relationship, because Mongoose AV is quite efficient, becoming more powerful than it looks at higher levels. This is due to the way the task system works.

However, that relationship is mappable; my function is MgT AV = 5 + sqrt( T5 AV) x 2.07 (No, I don't remember why the .07 is there, but I do know it came out that way through spreadsheet experimentation). This results in consistency across MgT's armor levels -- more or less to the degree that Mongoose Traveller's own armor levels are internally consistent. Yes, if we had this mapping function when MgT was being written, we could have pinned its AV exactly; however, it turns out they're close enough.

Weapon damage has a related function, which takes dice of damage into account rather than points.

UPDATE: The armor values for MgT 2.0 have a different mapping to those in Traveller5 (or MgT 1.0 for that matter).

Last edited:
Back