• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller's Aid Society Access Terminal

phorner

SOC-9
Just wanted to give everyone an update on where I am with the TASAT application (The Traveller's Aid Society Access Terminal is a computer application for use by players and GM's who want a real-life experience using a TAS terminal in a starport or on a spacecraft.):

It is now at version 2.32 and stable. I am still having trouble with the OS X and Linux port. Been stuck since version 2.29. I am reaching out to CotI members to see if there are any Mac Xcode developers who know C. My only Mac port is for PPC-based Macs (ancient OS X) and not Intel-based Macs. I really could use some help with both OS X and Linux compilers and installation.

If anyone is interested, join our Yahoo group and take a look at the latest documentation (in the file download section) before downloading the entire application and datafile sets.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/tas_atp/info

Thanks much,

Perry

ATUs?

So, two things.

One, is there a way to get the PPC version of the TAS Terminal App without having to create yet another email account?

Being that I have good friends I have an old G5 Wind Tunnel desktop so I could run it, which would be cool. However, the wind tunnel isn't particularly portable and my portable is an Intel Mac so if and when the Intel version gets ported please let me know, I would love to have a copy to play with.

Two, how much can the data be modified? Could I load up my ATU data and use that?

GitHub it.

Ditto. Put it up and let people pull the code and see what they can do. I have the Xcode tools but lack any real programming experience with C and C-family languages. I'm sure SOMEONE does, however, and could make something workable out of it for OS X.

So, two things.

One, is there a way to get the PPC version of the TAS Terminal App without having to create yet another email account?

Being that I have good friends I have an old G5 Wind Tunnel desktop so I could run it, which would be cool. However, the wind tunnel isn't particularly portable and my portable is an Intel Mac so if and when the Intel version gets ported please let me know, I would love to have a copy to play with.

I am in discussion with the Freelance Traveller site as a distribution site.

Two, how much can the data be modified? Could I load up my ATU data and use that?

All sector files (GEnie format), library data, accounts, etc. are plain text files. Graphics are bitmap files. All can be modified to suite your needs.

Xcode issues

Ditto. Put it up and let people pull the code and see what they can do. I have the Xcode tools but lack any real programming experience with C and C-family languages. I'm sure SOMEONE does, however, and could make something workable out of it for OS X.

I wrote the application using ANSI C and SDL for direct graphics rendering. The code is marked up for platform differences for each OS compiler. All was great when I had my G4 PPC Mac using Code Developer, Fedora Core 4 Linux using standard Make and GCC, and Windows XP using MS Visual Studio 6 (2000-2008). I was able to recompile the same ANSI C source code with SDL libraries on all three platforms with no problems. Now I have an Intel-based Mac Mini (Mavericks) and XCode, Fedora Core 20 Linux, and Windows 7 with MS Visual Studio 2013. The Windows platform is all that I can get to compile correctly. I need updated ac4 and config files for Linux, and a proper project framework for XCode.

I am also looking into Google Code, Sourceforge, and Github as a place to migrate the project to.

Thanks for the comments.

Everyone, I am not comfortable with the sourceforge/github repositories for further project work. Currently they both are not as simple/flexible as I would like. Does anyone have a website with 20mb of storage for distribution to those who do not want to join the Yahoo! group? I just added planet icosahedral map generation as stellar identification in the navigation module.

Thanks,

Perry

I'm not a fan at all of SourceForge. But I love GitHub, using either their app to connect to my files, or using my IDE to connect. I have a few repositories on GitHub now for my Traveller stuff. I see lots of Traveller stuff there in various languages and platforms.

Have you looked at Google Drive then? Most people have a Google account.

Last edited:
Has anyone reported success compiling this on OSX? I could happily do it in Linux, but I have a Macbook currently...

I am not aware of anyone. I used to release an OSX PPC version up until two years ago when I replaced my iMac with an Intel-based MacMini. The Xcode compiler and SDL Framework got squirly on me. I am not a native Mac developer expert so I figured somebody else might be better at doing this. Same goes with Linux, I used to provide config and make files with the sourcecode back when I was using Fedora 6. I tried them on Fedora 20 and failed. In the instruction manual, I do provide a down and dirty GCC command string to compile, but like OSX, I am not working on the nuances with Linux either.

Back