• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Treating a roll as a 'Close Call'?

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
At what point do you treat the results of a roll as a 'Close Call'?

I know there are Degrees of Success in some versions, but I'm not sure how to determine a 'Close Call'.

So, how do YOU do determine a 'Close Call'?

At what point do you treat the results of a roll as a 'Close Call'?

I know there are Degrees of Success in some versions, but I'm not sure how to determine a 'Close Call'.

So, how do YOU do determine a 'Close Call'?
Me? Outside of MgT degrees of success/failure as guidance (including applying it to combat rolls), I'll go with referee fiat.

Another way to do "close calls" in combat is to check whether a shot would have scored a hit against an equivalent unarmored target -- those are hits that the armor stopped.

For me, a close call is just barely making the roll or barely missing the roll, whatever the target number happens to be. After that, the situation and story determine the action. A person barely making an Athletics check might grab the ledge and be hanging on by their fingernails, that kind of thing. Barely missing might give another character a chance to drop everything and grab their hand before they fall. Dangling players make a fun story, at least for this referee :)

Me? Outside of MgT degrees of success/failure as guidance (including applying it to combat rolls), I'll go with referee fiat.

Another way to do "close calls" in combat is to check whether a shot would have scored a hit against an equivalent unarmored target -- those are hits that the armor stopped.
I’d say any result of 1 point damage on any weapon hit would be dent in the helmet/knick of the blade territory.

Player A takes so much damage thatthey are reduced to just 1 hit point left...END has gone, they are unconscious and it looks like the surgeon of interstellar renowned (not on the battlefield, of course) is going to be needed to reattach something.
So Player B pops out from behind cover and attaches the MedKit, rolls double 6 for their first-aid ability and suddenly the damage is a mild scratch (no internal bleeding, broken bones, snapped tendons, etc.) with just END looking worrying.
That is a close call!

Player A takes so much damage thatthey are reduced to just 1 hit point left...END has gone, they are unconscious and it looks like the surgeon of interstellar renowned (not on the battlefield, of course) is going to be needed to reattach something.
So Player B pops out from behind cover and attaches the MedKit, rolls double 6 for their first-aid ability and suddenly the damage is a mild scratch (no internal bleeding, broken bones, snapped tendons, etc.) with just END looking worrying.
That is a close call!
High tech medical is radical.

Back