• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Twilight 2000 boxed set, version 2.2

A month or two ago, I stopped in at my local used book store to browse. It's an activity that I used to enjoy--the treasure hunt of the endeavor. Well, I got lucky and found some gold.

I picked up a complete boxed set of version 2.2 of the Twilight 2000 game for $23.99.

I've never played the game before, though I've been interested in it over the years. Today, I started to read through the rulebook. I see that version 2.2 was created to make the game compatible with TNE.

TNE is a game that I used to hate, but I've softened on it over the years. I still wouldn't care for it as the main background for Traveller, but as an alternative to the classic Traveller background, it's a good one.

The rules have always been interesting to me. I like the depth and detail, but I'm not sure I like the crunch. I've never looked at them very closely, but I've planned to for years.

I guess now, I will.

The only major differences between 2.0 and 2.2 can be sumarized as...

Die1d101d20
base TN≤Skill≤(Stat+Skill)
Unskilled1d10≤Att
grants temp skill 1
increase difficulty one step
Task Levels3: ×2/×1/×½ 5: ×4/×2/×1/×½/×¼
Autofire
[tc=2]don't have the books to check handy[/tc]

It does not have the (later introduced) TNE declining skills per term.

Before 2.2 was released, the Ref's screen carried the task system changes (and the weapon specialization rules, which depend upon them) TNE was announced somewhat later than the Ref's Screen.

Boxed set for 2.2? I thought it was just released in book format...

While it is a form similar to TNE, you take out all the space, construction, and so on... it's a very simple and fun game with good rules. TNE (or high tech) just complicated it the nth.

Evidently, there was. What I have is a standard box with a gold star sticker advertising the 2.2 version on the cover.

Which is also how I got mine...
My FLGS at the time didn't get the 2.2 as a book only... so I've 4 copies of the poland map. (1.0, 2.0, 2.2, and one from a friend's discards)

2.0 and 2.2 autofire is rolling for a lot of bursts, which number is derived by calculating the Recoil of the weapon, number of bursts fired, and shooter's Strength. Suffice to say you roll a lot of dice.

in 2.0, you roll a d6 for each potential hit, and 6s hit.
In 2.2, you roll a lot of d20, at 1/4 (or was it 1/8?) of (Str+Stat).

The highest I've seen was a character firing an M249 (RoF 10) with nearly-maxxed-out skill and Str. Forty-two d20 rolled through the dice tower. We had that many dice available, but we couldn't fit them through the tower in one throw.

And you keep half of the misses, to roll at any other targets that move through an area 4m on either side of the target(s), the length of the range bracket, for the rest of the phase.

Shotguns were just as scary, Automatic shotguns were even scarier.

Hope that you have fun with it!

I had an article for T2K accepted for Challenge magazine, back in the day, statting out a DC-3. Pity it folded before they could print it.

Okay... what is a dice tower?

Back on topic... v1.0 was hard to grok as I was like 15. But I love v2.2. I just wish stats didn't weigh more than skills. Or that skills were higher (which I've always increased).

If you really want to have crazy fun with T2K v.2.2, check out pmulcahy's website. Do a search on "pmulcahy" and "Twilight 2000".

(can't link as blocked at work)

My dice tower in this case was corrugated cardboard, so it wasn't too noisy. Or, one could say it sounded like an autofire burst!

I also made one out of Lego. I've seen Youtubes of powered dicetowers- push the button, and it clatters away!

Back