• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Unvote!

aramis

Administrator
Administrator
Baronet
I got us an "unvote" option on the polls. As long as a given poll is open, votes can now be changed by "unvoting" then voting again.

Keep an eye out for unusual behaviors.

Boooo!

I got us an "unvote" option on the polls. As long as a given poll is open, votes can now be changed by "unvoting" then voting again.

Keep an eye out for unusual behaviors.
Unvote? Why on earth would you use such a thing? A Vote is a permanent thing, you can't take a Vote back! :frankie:

Likes, +1s, silly stuff like that if you want to change it fine, those are opinions, but a Vote is a decision you have to live with like it or not. Still, I suppose that since lately the humans of Earth don't seem to respect voting these days, I shouldn't be surprised to see the erosion of the concept of a Vote being permanent irrevocable decision the results of which you are bound to live with wether you like them or not. *shakes head sadly* Bloody humans, emphemeral things with short attention spans and no long view. *sigh*

Likes, +1s, silly stuff like that if you want to change it fine, those are opinions, but a Vote is a decision you have to live with like it or not.
A vote in an opinion poll is an expression of your opinion. If your opinion changes, why shouldn't you be able to change your vote?

Hans

Because it is a vote.

A vote in an opinion poll is an expression of your opinion. If your opinion changes, why shouldn't you be able to change your vote?

Hans
If it is changeable, it shouldn't be called a vote then. Also, unvoting breaks the data set. The point of a poll is to gather data, if you change your "vote" then you are skewing the data, which is also uncool.

And I am terribly old school and think if you say or do something in public then you don't get to go back and change it. Once said or done, it is said and done, deal. It is the impermance of the thing, the shallowness and the lack of courage to stick with what you said.

If you change your opinion then say so in a new post, explain it, but don't go and try to change a vote. It devalues the word, and that is a crime against humanity. Words should mean what they say and a vote is a public record of your opinion/stand on a subject and as such is not subject to change later.

If you can change it, do not call it a vote, call it something else like an opinion, a point, a positive/negative indicator, but not a vote.

I think this was added because some of the poles were changed after significant voting had taken place.

Worse data though; you don't like the pole results, change the pole:rofl:

Last edited:
If it is changeable, it shouldn't be called a vote then.
Why not? As far as I know that's what it's called. 'Voting in a poll'. It's certainly what the guy who wrote the software used in the CotI TAS Opinion Polls forum called it. What would you call it if not voting?

If you can change it, do not call it a vote, call it something else like an opinion, a point, a positive/negative indicator, but not a vote.
We do call it an opinion. Check the name of the forum.

Hans

Unvote? Why on earth would you use such a thing? A Vote is a permanent thing, you can't take a Vote back! :frankie:

Then, to give you an example, in the Do you like T5? poll, the option I have no direct knowledge of it would mean that if you buy T5 you can no longer give your oppinion, and so it will be lost for the community...

I guess that whould be a nice ocasion to unvote...

The Vote Stands.

Then, to give you an example, in the Do you like T5? poll, the option I have no direct knowledge of it would mean that if you buy T5 you can no longer give your oppinion, and so it will be lost for the community...

I guess that whould be a nice ocasion to unvote...
Again I say, if there is change, you post a comment, but not change your vote.

Hans, as to what call the "vote", actually the Poll is labeled Opinion, the token indicating your preference is in fact at the moment is called a Vote. As to what to call the token, hell, just call it a token and be done. After all tokens, unlike Votes, can be and in quite a few cases like games are expected to get moved around.

Hans, as to what call the "vote", actually the Poll is labeled Opinion, the token indicating your preference is in fact at the moment is called a Vote. As to what to call the token, hell, just call it a token and be done. After all tokens, unlike Votes, can be and in quite a few cases like games are expected to get moved around.
What you do in a poll is called voting too. The word has several different meanings.

You're either pulling my leg or you're being WAY too serious. Either way I think I'm done with this thread.

Hans

Again I say, if there is change, you post a comment, but not change your vote.
In the US congress, for many votes, congressman and senators can go back and change their vote as long as it done before the vote is closed. If congresscritters can change their vote, I sincerely believe the denizens of the Imperium should be allowed the same courtesies at a minimum.:)

Way too serious.

What you do in a poll is called voting too. The word has several different meanings.

You're either pulling my leg or you're being WAY too serious. Either way I think I'm done with this thread.

Hans
Well, being a small "r" republican I take the process of voting the way Christians take their religion, to the level of stupid serious about it to the point of damned near fighting over it. Suffice it to say that when your one means of both expressing yourself and having some control over your leaders is continually diminished one tends to get a bit defensive. While I don't believe in the sacred or divine, my vote is about as close as I can get.

This is a sadly merely a symptom of my current hate of my fellow humans and their not being able to stick with contracts lately. Votes are records and if they can be changed then what the hell use are they? I know this is exceedingly Luddite of me, but I do think some things once done should stay the way they are.

Really?!

In the US congress, for many votes, congressman and senators can go back and change their vote as long as it done before the vote is closed. If congresscritters can change their vote, I sincerely believe the denizens of the Imperium should be allowed the same courtesies at a minimum.:)
Well, that is entirely bogus and needs to be changed. I don't get that privilege when I vote. That, sir just depressed me further.

What I find most troubling in this example is the lack of initial conviction, and the PROBABILITY that the initial vote is a bluff saying "I can be bought, let the bidding begin. Time's short, the clock is running." (And yes, I'm cynical, but why shouldn't I be?)

Back