• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General UWP population 1 coded worlds

If it is a human they already have the capacity for language due to the foxp2 gene, so we could essentially create a common language, it would take some time though. Culture and language are essentially adaptations to our environment, higher concepts would likely be more difficult, rather than more basic ones.
The presence of Fox P2 does not factor if there is no linguistic exposure between 6 and 60 months - the exstimated wild children of France in the 19th C had no ability to make effective speech even in their teens. They had, at best, vocabularies in the couple dozen nouns and a couple of verbs.

Neurobiology has certain key limits on speech. Such as, if not exposed to certain vocal sounds in meaningful speech before age 5, one will struggle to hear them forever - hence the difficulties of most whose early languages are non-slavic have issues lifelong ever distinguishing one or more of the rarer sounds of Russian. Intense neuro-linguistic programming can work to about age 12... but it requires intensive interventions. When I took Russian, the only sound distinction I had issues with is that ы & у are hard for me to distinguish in the Petrogradskoii of my professor - and only four of us ever got it by anything other than rote memorization.

The presence of Fox P2 does not factor if there is no linguistic exposure between 6 and 60 months - the exstimated wild children of France in the 19th C had no ability to make effective speech even in their teens. They had, at best, vocabularies in the couple dozen nouns and a couple of verbs.

Neurobiology has certain key limits on speech. Such as, if not exposed to certain vocal sounds in meaningful speech before age 5, one will struggle to hear them forever - hence the difficulties of most whose early languages are non-slavic have issues lifelong ever distinguishing one or more of the rarer sounds of Russian. Intense neuro-linguistic programming can work to about age 12... but it requires intensive interventions. When I took Russian, the only sound distinction I had issues with is that ы & у are hard for me to distinguish in the Petrogradskoii of my professor - and only four of us ever got it by anything other than rote memorization.
Interesting. I have also seen a documentary where people who had a damaged foxp2 not be able to speak, or have effective speech. It is true people struggle with accents, my Mother could not understand the British accent. My name as well is pronounced with a soft rolling r like hro-bear, which many can't use. When I lived in the UK, my boss only clued in when my girlfriend called me Bob, what the Polish guys were calling me wasn't Ober, which they kind of were though.

Interesting. I have also seen a documentary where people who had a damaged foxp2 not be able to speak, or have effective speech. It is true people struggle with accents, my Mother could not understand the British accent. My name as well is pronounced with a soft rolling r like hro-bear, which many can't use. When I lived in the UK, my boss only clued in when my girlfriend called me Bob, what the Polish guys were calling me wasn't Ober, which they kind of were though.
You may want to look at some of the cases from France - due to it's history of wars and orphans, it's a surprising number of wild children over the years... Victor of Aveyron is 18th C, and was never able to speak, barely able to interpret spoken French... Modern "interpretation" presumes autism.

I know of, and can hear, that trilled R, but I cannot reproduce it, nor the flipped r of several languages.

A poor source, but interesting:

You may want to look at some of the cases from France - due to it's history of wars and orphans, it's a surprising number of wild children over the years... Victor of Aveyron is 18th C, and was never able to speak, barely able to interpret spoken French... Modern "interpretation" presumes autism.

I know of, and can hear, that trilled R, but I cannot reproduce it, nor the flipped r of several languages.

A poor source, but interesting:
I was reading the wiki article on Kaspar Hauser not too long ago. I guess modern science does presume some condition. With the documentary I saw they also showed they had other conditions. Though research online leads to articles like Genie, which are depressing.

I guess my first reaction on encountering a human on what is apparently a plague die-off world is that he or she might be a plague carrier who happened to survive the plague. Stay far away, and break out the haz-mat suits as a minimum. Landing on a plague die-off world would be chancy at best, as it might still be around. Anthrax spores can last quite a while.

Do a lot of atmosphere testing and maybe if the ship has them, drop off a few sample mammals to see how they react.

I guess my first reaction on encountering a human on what is apparently a plague die-off world is that he or she might be a plague carrier who happened to survive the plague. Stay far away, and break out the haz-mat suits as a minimum. Landing on a plague die-off world would be chancy at best, as it might still be around. Anthrax spores can last quite a while.

Do a lot of atmosphere testing and maybe if the ship has them, drop off a few sample mammals to see how they react.
OP: That was my take on the whole situation.
The crew spent a week on planet, and surveyed/sampled two different areas on the ground, around the areas that the people were found.
Zero results from testing in the 'populated' areas.

OP: That was my take on the whole situation.
The crew spent a week on planet, and surveyed/sampled two different areas on the ground, around the areas that the people were found.
Zero results from testing in the 'populated' areas.
The problem with tests is that they will only indicate what they are designed to detect. Something out beyond the left field bleachers might easily be missed. That is why I would drop off a variety of Terran mammals and check to set if anything shows up in them.

The problem with tests is that they will only indicate what they are designed to detect. Something out beyond the left field bleachers might easily be missed. That is why I would drop off a variety of Terran mammals and check to set if anything shows up in them.
Had not thought deeply about testing methods. Mainly spores, bacteria, and insects, along with some of the smaller native critters.
Terran originated test subjects/materials just never entered my mind.

"Oh! Look another ship is landing. What does P.E.T.A. stand for?"

Thinking about PETA, have you heard about the people who have discovered that you can buy "plant-based peanut butter"?

Little Shop of Horrors?
to be fair, while most PB is vegan, there can be some w/honey for instance, which is now the PB has animal byproducts in it. And sugar *can* be problematic if you are vegan as well for reasons. Depending on the source.

but yes, silly on the face of it as PB should really just be peanuts.

I am what I call half-assed vegetarian: I eat fish & fowl, but no mammals. Been that way 40+ years now...and I like peanut butter and eat probably way too much of it!

Back