• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Virtual Tabletop: Fantasy Grounds; Foundry; Roll20

I was advised to put this in the Software Solutions Discussions...

@Jetrock
And this leads to my question: Discord is good for verbal/video communication, but limited for "virtual tabletop" purposes other than showing people maps using the share-screen function, and RollD20 is very D&D specific. Does anyone have any hints for running virtual Traveller campaigns; online tools, preferred platforms, or other tips & advice?
@drl2
  • I think Fantasy Grounds is the only place where there's official support in terms of being able to use the rulebooks, adventures, etc. in digital form (if you want to buy it), but there's also a subscription fee attached. The FG user interface is, er... not particularly popular, but I haven't used it myself so I can't really comment beyond that.
  • ...FoundryVTT has an available system called TwoDSix which can be easily configured to play a number of, as the name suggests, 2d6-based games...

Great question Jetrock ... Not many citizens discussing VTTs here at COTI, which I think is ironic since it's a technology-based game. Maybe VTTs are too magical? ;)

drl2 did a good summary to your question in the Lone Star. I wanted to add that you can buy a license and skip the subscription, I think it was $130 (maybe on sale) for the Fantasy Grounds Unlimited (FGU hereafter) license that allows you to host free players. PLUS you have to buy the MgT2 rule set AND modules and additional sourcebooks. I think it set me back ~ USD 300. So it is an investment. However... All of module data becomes available on the table top, less work for the referee (REF hereafter). Is the interface difficult and is there a learning curve - yes because of all that the system does for you, integrating rules and module data.

I'm not familiar with roll20, my sons play that and tell me it's basically a map display and everyone has their own rulebooks and real dice (which can be automated) so it's more of like playing remotely. I want to play but they won't invite me...

I chose FGU because I've played D&D on FGU and I understand the basics and didn't want to learn another system. My DM raves about Foundry and the license is USD $50.

There's the twodsix rule system based on the Cepheus (Open Gaming License) for Foundry, but limited (is there any?) module support.

Mongoose offers is a boatload of developed material designed to work with the FGU system, for a price.

Would love to hear from others with more experience using any of these systems.

The Stainless Steel Rodent of Unusual Size

I use one free VTT - gtove. It's just good enough to do what I as a GM need:

2d maps, stackable, in a 3d space
Tokens or Standees (and standees automatically switch to token view at higher viewing angles.
Shared physics-based die roller for standard polyhedrals.

It stores resources in one's google drive account.

It lacks automation, character sheets, etc...

I have been enjoying Fantasy Grounds for several years, much before the pandemic. It's a tradeoff of time vs money and in my personal case I am able to use my time more to play. Forty years ago I prolly would not have the option, so I certainly understand. However, since I have the unlimited license, it costs others nothing to play in my games, therefore I feel like I can give back that way. FGU also let's me play different games without having to learn all the details as much of the automation takes care of the nuances between games. I like that it's officially supported and I also like that it is NOT browser based as I find the limitations of a browser, again for my taste, outweighs having a standalone application. The help from Smiteworks and Fantasy Grounds Academy is absolutely outstanding.
Flyteach

Back