• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What are your favorite house rules?

Grav_Moped

SOC-14 5K
Admin Award 2022
Knight
What house rules do you use, and how do you justify them within the ruleset you're working with?

Part of my list, mostly for LBB2 '81:

These are basically just my ways of mitigating LBB2's irrational power plant fuel use rule (10Td fuel per Pn) without discarding it outright. I suppose these could also apply to LBB5 power plant fuel, but the quantities involved in civilian ships are small enough that it doesn't matter. I probably wouldn't allow any of this for military ships (Pn 7+).

Amortized Power-Down:
The TCS/JTAS#14 power-down fuel use rule can be broken down into weeks and perhaps days or even hours, rather than whole months as written. That is, a Type S Scout/Courier on a Jump-2 trip, but limiting itself to 1G on the runs to and from the 100D limit, would only consume power plant fuel at the Pn=2 rate during the week in Jump, and at the Pn=1 rate during the transit to and from jump limit. Likewise, if it did the real-space part of the trip at 2G but only did a Jump-1, it's power plant would use fuel during the jump week at the Pn=1 rate (and Pn=2 rate for the rest of the trip). Computers that require Energy Points in LBB5 only need elevated power plant support during combat (ECM transmissions) and high-power active sensor use (that is, military/scout grade sensors doing active scanning).

This is partially justified within the context of LBB2: power plant fuel consumption rate for a given power plant is variable (it's based on hull tonnage and rating, rather than being directly based on power plant output as in LBB5 and pretty much every other version of Traveller). Yes, it's nominally a matter of efficiency in smaller ships, but it shows that it isn't always a fixed rate even in LBB2.

Referees should keep in mind that the power-down rule was intended to both enable ships that flee to the Outer System (in TCS campaigns) to stay out there for more than a single strategic turn (one week), while putting an upper limit to how long they can do so; and also to prevent them from doing so multiple times without refueling. If your players get themselves into a similar predicament with their ship, they only get one shot at coming in for fuel regardless of how they're managing their fuel use.

Also note that this enables building ships with high maneuver ratings in small hulls that would otherwise be impossible under LBB2. On the other hand, such ships are quite possible in LBB5, so it's not quite as disruptive as it may appear.

Yacht/XBoat Loophole:
Ships can be built with just a three- or two-week power plant fuel allocation (generally at the rated Pn, not powered-down as above) rather than the mandatory four weeks. Starships sharing the XBoat's mission profile (no maneuver, supported by tankers/tenders at both ends of a Jump) only need a one-week power plant fuel allocation. For XBoat types, keep in mind that a jump can last up to 10% longer than the nominal one week, so provide additional fuel to account for that.

If the fuel allocation is less than the mandatory four weeks (or three weeks plus a week for each Jump the ship can perform without refueling), the referee and players are going to have to track power plant fuel use instead of assuming there's enough to do everything the players want. It may cause problems for in-system trips to distant planets or in cases where the mainworld orbits within its star's 100D jump limit. If this house rule is combined with the amortized power-down house rule (see above), the result may look like LBB2 1st Ed. small craft maneuver burns or HEPlaR drive rules -- accelerate/coast/decelerate trips rather than the continuous acceleration/flip/continuous deceleration flights that are Traveller standard procedure. If you don't like math, don't do this.

This loophole exists because the canon Type Y Yacht can do two jump-1s with the rules-mandated four week power plant fuel allocation. This means that it could be doing the second jump with as little as two weeks of power plant fuel, but more likely three. The first case is with the standard "jump every other week" cadence, the second is with back-to-back Jump-1s to cross a two-parsec gap. Since only two or three weeks of fuel are needed for most trips, ships shouldn't be forced to carry far more fuel than necessary. [Edited to add: Also, while the canon XBoat is broken by the changes in LBB2 '81, it is possible to build J4/0G in 100Td under LBB2 '81 if it only needs 1 week of fuel for Jump rather than 4 weeks. Yes, the XBoat can be easily replicated in LBB5 '80, but canon doesn't indicate that it was, and doing so makes the use of LBB5 necessary rather than optional.] Again, with four weeks of fuel (or three weeks plus a week for each jump the ship can do without refueling), it's generally unnecessary to track power plant fuel use. If a ship has less than that, fuel use must be tracked. The narrower the margin of safety, the more closely it needs to be tracked. Don't like math and bookeeping? Don't use this loophole!

Optional low-math way to settle this:
There are four things that normally add to the duration of an interstellar trip:
- Origin mainworld orbits within it's star's 100D limit
- Destination mainworld orbits within it's star's 100D limit
- Refueling at origin from a gas giant (or origin mainworld orbits a gas giant)
- Refueling at destination from a gas giant (or destination mainworld orbits a gas giant)
A ship with the mandated 4-week power plant fuel supply available (jump fuel that's not used for the trip counts for this purpose) can ignore all of these issues -- it's presumed to have sufficient fuel even if the trip takes more than four weeks total. With three weeks of fuel, it can still make the trip if two of these issues are present (but if the issue is a gas giant at the destination, it must refuel again at the gas giant before departure because the trip from the gas giant to the mainworld uses a week of fuel). With only two weeks of fuel, it cannot make the trip if more than one of these issues apply.

Power Plant Fuel in Collapsible Tanks:
Allowed if there is at least an equal amount of permanent fuel tankage also installed (typically for Jump fuel). The problem is that a fuel hit to a collapsible tank takes out the entire tank rather than the 10% of tonnage or 10Td of a normal fuel hit. Therefore, a starship should keep at least two weeks of power plant fuel in permanent tankage. Standard practice is to shift fuel from the collapsible tank into main tankage as soon as the Jump fuel burn frees up the space for it -- this limits the vulnerability of the fragile collapsible tank to the outbound trip, rather than both sides of Jump. Also, it frees up space for passenger and crew use, if desired.

This is supportable because fuel can be transferred from collapsible tanks to main tankage faster than power plants can burn it, so there's no reason this shouldn't be possible.

This one mostly affects LBB2 standard hulls.
Fuel Processors in Drive Bay:
LBB5 fuel processors may be installed in unused drive bay space. If the processor is larger than the available space, the remainder of the processor is installed outside it.

Fuel processors should be able to be placed in the drive bay because they are drive-related equipment. Also, the implicit fuel refining for military/scout drives is in the drive bay by default.

It's not all about fuel!
LBB2 exceptions to LBB5 Tech Level Limits:
Starships using LBB2 drives can have the performance shown in the Drive Potential Table regardless of the LBB5 TL limits to Jump capability (note that drive TL is listed in LBB3). That is, they can if the necessary computer is available at that TL, and all the required components fit... (The first couple of house rules I've listed above make this a bit easier.)

This is just interpreting LBB5 as not rendering LBB2 completely obsolete. The other alternative is that LBB5 TL limits apply to LBB2 drives, making some canon ships higher TL than they would be according to LBB2 and LBB3.
I'm not sure I'd allow drop tanks in combination with this house rule for game balance reasons (explained in-universe as that these are prototype/experimental ships, and drop tanks add too much additional risk).

Last edited:
Last time I ran Traveller (been 4 years)
I start with MT as core rules.
I used an open ending process on starting Soc.
I added Charisma to the mental cascade.
I add TNE connections.

I change the TN's down 1. I use att/3 instead of att/5.

I use a different pen vs armor table...
P>0.1×AV: damage /10
P>0.5×AV: damage/2
P>AV: damage ×1
P>2×AV: Damage ×2
---- Armored vehicles with < 30% cargo and accomodations only past here
P>4×AV: Damage ×4

I use T20 T&C and ship building. (note that T20, MT, and CT Bk5 all use the same ratings)

I use MT vehicle combat mechanics for ships. Ship combat tends not to last too long...

Not so much house rules as cherry picking Traveller.

My basic rules are the CT 77-81 books

Character generation:
Scouts and Other get 2 skills per term
Vehicle skill cascade also includes BattleDress for Army and Marines
Skill saving throws:
add the boon/bane mechanic from MgT
Combat:
use T4 armour as damage dice reduction.
Starships:
use 77 drive and computer paradigm with 81 ship construction
pulse laser is -1 to hit and gets 2 damage rolls
a crew hit causes 4D damage to a random crew member
Worlds:
keep the trade lane roll

Last edited:
So my experience with running traveller has been mongoose based but for my current MgT2 campaign (TL12-13 pocket empires based of the great and minor powers as were in 1890) I’ve done the following some of which are still WIP:

Expanded Careers suitable to the setting - each core career has been given the MgT1 Highguard treatment (some of these are still WIP - noble and entertainer in particular need work since I’ve sort of split noble into Noble and Civil Service.)

Fighters are allowed to take 4x Dogfight Missiles (Traveller Companion) as well as a pulse laser without needing an extra firmpoint.

Social Soc is relative to the polity the character comes from, enemy polities or polities far away, or polities that outclass the home polity will have different reactions and may even inverse the dm bonus. (King Pompus X of planet Hillian is a big fish (Soc 20) on his home world but should he end up on Providence the capital of the Grand Stellar Empire he’s likely to be treated as a Count at best.)

Use a modified form of the portfolio rules from MgT Merchant Prince - my players are important people doing important things so I give them a choice when they roll a cash benefit of getting a cash roll (for equipment at game start) or a portfolio roll (for a monthly credit injection). I find that they make interesting hooks as well - since having a noble want to invest in his fief and make sure the fief doesn’t get nuked from orbit is a good motivator.

I set a maximum jump size of 15,000 dtons because I want a much smaller ship universe than 3I.

Ooof, I got a LOT of House Rules, some are absolute favorites others are wanna-be faves but may not stand the test of time/RW gaming.

I'll just list ones that are so fave they aren't going anywhere.

CT base.

Striker resolution with my hit location/armor/blunt-energy trauma rules.

JOAT is Skill-0 for everything, JOAT skill number indicates number of times a problem can be rolled.

Skill rolls base 3 plus whatever career and promo skills. First time skill is awarded/rolled it's a skill-0, subsequent ones increment as normal.

Instruction skill increase standardized outside of the service LBBs, difficulty is finding an instructor that can get you past Skill-0.

Redo of the CT skills so many of the LBB4+/MgT social skills get added, consolidation so skillflation is reduced, familiarity mechanic for specialization but fast increase on specific equipment, etc.

Added in Advanced Education table with INT 8+ entry point for all the unusual/new skills outside of the classic tables.

As much as possible make rolls be saving rolls under stress. 68A with 2D+(charstat-7)+skill, -4 no skill, natural 2 auto fail and natural 12 +1d6 to succeed.

Natural 2 and 12 gets the Eureka/screwup rules, where you have the opportunity with extreme results to increase your skills- or reduce them because you learned The Wrong Lesson.

QND Medical rules.

Low berth is not flat death roll, but damage roll check upon unfreezing- so you may die anyway.

Give players option for a campaign to treat SOC either as class rating OR EQ charstat.

I have always liked the idea of treating a true AI as a character in many ways. But in my last campaign there were just two real AIs so it isn't like the players did more than interface with one. ;)

Ship stuff starting on a CT base.
No Power Plant fuel, fueling the plant is part of the annual maintenance. Note letyer Drives produce energy points, an A Drive produces 2e.p. a B 4, adding two with each letter increase.

”Fusion Torches” plus very basic contragrav makes up the Maneuver Drive. Fuel for the drive is 0.01x ship tonnage x maneuver, it assumes water as fuel. Duration is 48 hours on a basic load. E.p. Required for thrust is 0.01 x Mdrive x ship tonnage.

And I get to this point that I realize just my ship stuff requires a monograph of its own.

As for other bits like character generation, it looks like CT with ideas from CE and MT added in. Meaning more zero level skills and higher than average number skills across the board. I added special Duty from MT basic generation and basic training from CE.

Personnel combat is based on AHL. A characters Dex + Int divided by three is number of different changes of action a character during a AHL Turn. The weapons chart and results have been extensively reworked I.e. weapons added, and further incremented damage chart with vehicle damage included.

40 years of playing is a bunch of house mods…

My "cherry pick" list is much like Mike Whiteman's, except I don't use '77 starship construction rules.

I also allow players to choose the career skill table AFTER they roll. The dice gives them the choice of 3-4 skills.

And I give players a free "Dedication roll" success if they leave their careers voluntarily instead of failing to re-up. This is to simulate that the character has decided to "strike out on their own" and has a plan. If they simply fail to re-enlist, then they have to hope they can overcome the disappointment. :)

I also tend to use T5 like "throw under characteristic + mods", though that idea is in some CT materials as well.

Most of my house rules are more meta ones like on terraforming or trade between planets and within sectors. I also add a bigger variety of things that go 'bang' to the combat rules. For instance, as odd as it might sound, you can have a high-tech bow that looses arrows that are rocket propelled, have guidance, and HE warheads for example. A way to get around law levels through a technicality.

Most of my house rules are more meta ones like on terraforming or trade between planets and within sectors. I also add a bigger variety of things that go 'bang' to the combat rules. For instance, as odd as it might sound, you can have a high-tech bow that looses arrows that are rocket propelled, have guidance, and HE warheads for example. A way to get around law levels through a technicality.
And the PC party travels in an orange air/raft with its doors welded shut, and a (Solmani) Confederat(ion) flag painted on the roof.

Determining their homeworld and SOC stats is left as an exercise for the reader.

I currently use a heavily modified CE rules-set. I let people switch careers as much as they want (with enlistment rolls of course), I have a bunch of extra careers, I have, essentially, "prestige careers" that layer on top of other careers that people can try for that provide some extra benefits, I have some extra skills that are quasi-psionic in nature (e.g. a Bene Gesserit 'Voice' or a Prana-Bindu 'Focus') - I've also incorporated things from MgT like Networks and Fame. I also have my own , extensive list of decorations and awards, lol.

1e Mongoose Traveller:

Limit of 4 terms for PCs. Next time out I may get fiddly and do 3 base + 1 for every two failed survival or promotion rolls.

Some custom career events in place of the normal life events on a roll of 7.

Initiative is rolled only once at the beginning of combat. Changes to initiative (as from dodging, parrying or delaying) change your count permanently rather than until end of turn.

The optional skill training method in the core book is not in use, but we fill out a "career" sheet for the whole party based on what they do during sessions as the game goes on, and periodically make rolls on it.

Unskilled penalty equals a PC's highest single skill rank rather than a flat -3. This is a metagame convention rather than simulationist, and most NPCs use the -3.

how do you justify them

I'm the GM.

I find myself liking just working with CT as much as possible. My house rules are:
- Only use basic char gen, but allow any from Bk1, Citizens, and various Race Modules (as appropriate).
- Expand skills from those sources, too. Base skill is chosen by player.
- Non-ranked careers get two skills per term (like Scouts).
- Failing survival means you get skills, but no mustering for that term and you're out.
- Use Bk2 ship gen, but use PP fuel of .01*rating*hull (i.e. Bk5).
- Allow extras like new ship components, fusions, and armor.
- Bigger ships *do* exist, but are hand-waved as players won't be running them.
- Handwave background "failure rolls" (e.g. low berth, misjump, routine skills) unless necessary for the story.
- Use AHL combat if I can make it an easy transition. (Never did this one; would want to try it though.)

Things like that. Nothing major. Just trying to pull in extra flash and fun without weighing anything down.

Of course, if someone else is running it, I'll play with whatever their rules are. Not that picky, actually.

CT and MgT1
1: Roll and pick table for skill
2: +3 points at end of chargen to be used for stats or skills
3: Crits on 2 and 12
4: Typical check roll 8+ on 2d6 w/o lookup
5: Jump is a wormhole, and 15 minutes subjective; objective time is 1d6+1 days minus nav skill.
CT Only:
6: swap pp and jump fuel, ships are fusion torches, there is some figuring there, I would have to go find the doc, jump used pp multiplier from LBB5 tech level table, engine fuel was divided by 28.
7: PA barbettes do 1d6+1 hits.
8: No spacecraft armor, doesn't make sense with an opening for engine exhaust (thrust).
9: Pulse Lasers are Rail Guns, same -1 to hit, +1 to damage.
10: Lasers have cartridge power packs, and auto-fire; Gauss Rifles have back pack power packs, and high recoil.

Last edited:
Back