• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Which GT Books for the Guy With Everything CT?

GM Joe

SOC-12
Peer of the Realm
I have nearly all the CT-era stuff. If I wanted to play in the GT timeline but using CT rules, which GURPS Traveller sourcebooks would be worth the price?

The only thing you would really need is a link to wherever SJG archived its timeline TAS News items.

Topical coverage of the setting in either MT (specifically Traveler's Digest from DGP, which persisted in presenting both pre-Rebellion and Rebellion materials) or GT materials expanded greatly from the baseline presented under CT, so you'll find more value looking at GT products on a topical basis as they related to your game. Their assumption of a divergent timeline is not relevant.

GURPS TNS 1116-1120: http://www.sjgames.com/traveller/tns-oldnews2.html (articles in reverse order)
GURPS TNS 1120-1130: http://www.sjgames.com/traveller/oldnews.html (articles in reverse order)

Nice! Thanks.

Is there good info in the sourcebooks, beyond what CT had? I'm looking at "Behind the Claw," "Humaniti," "Nobles," "Sword Worlds," "Far Trader," etc. They seem like they might have good info that goes beyond what was published for CT (aside from the timeline differences), but it's hard to tell without buying them first! :)

The three GT books they will have to pry from my cold dead hands are Sword Worlds, Nobles and Interstellar Wars.

GT:First In is well worth it if you don't have DGPs Grand Survey/Grand Census or the MT equivalent World Builders Handbook, or you may decide to go for GURPS Space 4th edition.

Nice! Thanks.

Is there good info in the sourcebooks, beyond what CT had? I'm looking at "Behind the Claw," "Humaniti," "Nobles," "Sword Worlds," "Far Trader," etc. They seem like they might have good info that goes beyond what was published for CT (aside from the timeline differences), but it's hard to tell without buying them first! :)

All give info beyond what CT published.

GT: Sword Worlds is a must have.

GT: Far Trader and GT: Nobles are both excellent as well, IMHO, and give a LOT more information than was in CT.

GT: Humaniti expands nicely upon some of the more obscure subraces of Humaniti (some of which had been little more than a brief mention in CT).

OK, you've convinced me. :)

I've ordered:
Behind the Claw, Sword Worlds, Far Trader, Nobles, Humaniti, and a smattering of other books books I could get relatively cheaply (some of the single-world books, the Modular Cutter book, etc.).

I decided to forgo First In at this point, since I do have Grand Survey and Grand Census. I also decided not to get Interstellar Wars at this point, much as I'd like to have it. I had to draw the line somewhere. Besides, it's nice to have something really meaty to buy down the road.

Thank you for the advice!

Back