• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Which rules for a 2300AD skirmish wargame?

Marchand

SOC-12
Hello folks, I am sure there will be those on this board who know the wargames scene better than I do. Which rules would you use for a skirmish wargame set in 2300AD (Kafers vs humans)? Ideally the rules should support the Kafers' intelligence switch-on, I guess via the way it handles initiative.

You could look at BOOTS, TRACKS, AND HOVERSKIRTS, by Mike Jasinski (beware, it's a wayback Machine archive, so I guess the page disapeared).

Sincerly, I have not studied it, but someone I think knows 2300AD better than myself told me well about it, so I guess (out of trust to him) it can be good, and it's the only mass combat I know about for 2300AD...

Last edited:
Hello folks, I am sure there will be those on this board who know the wargames scene better than I do. Which rules would you use for a skirmish wargame set in 2300AD (Kafers vs humans)? Ideally the rules should support the Kafers' intelligence switch-on, I guess via the way it handles initiative.
Not sure you'd get kafer rules out of the box with any system I'm aware of, but Stargrunt II would probably do what you want if you houseruled it. It's also downloadable as a freebie - the vendor makes their money of selling minis. If you want 2300 minis, the Denizen sci-fi minis have some designs fairly obviously derived from the guns in the original Traveller 2300 rules. Note these are true 25mm scale. GZG also make a fairly extensive range of 15mm and 25mm figs. I'm not sure I can think OTOH of a range that looks much like kafers, though, but both the Denizen and Stargrunt 15 ans 25mm range have several types of alien figures that you could probably get away with substituting.

https://shop.groundzerogames.co.uk/rules.html

http://www.denizenminiatures.co.uk/

Last edited:
Note that, while the GZG links go to a sales site, I'm not dinging anyone for it, as (1) GZG licensed a Traveller conversion of FT (called Power Projection), (2) the rules are free, and (3) they're really strongly traveller-friendly.

For what I've read of it (again, a rules set I don't know), could Stiker be used for this, if weapons equivalents can be house ruled?

I guess it has rules for hovertanks, and the Combat Walkers can be seen as BD...

For what I've read of it (again, a rules set I don't know), could Stiker be used for this, if weapons equivalents can be house ruled?

I guess it has rules for hovertanks, and the Combat Walkers can be seen as BD...
Striker II for TNE can work quite well; it's FF&S compatible, and compatible with TNE and T2K.

It was actually in Challenge mag IIRC. Good attempt to meld 2300 and Ogre/GEV.

If you really want skirmish try modifying Tmorows War published by Osprey. More modern than Stargrunt but of similar heritage.

What's your combat scale, individuals, squads and vehicles, platoon on up?

Looking to do about platoon-sized skirmish, 20-30 figures a side, on a 1-to-1 scale i.e. 1 figure = 1 combatant. On a 6x4 table. Not planning to bring in vehicles. 28mm figs.

I wouldn't expect a rules set to handle kafers RAW, but I was thinking rules that pay a decent amount of attention to initiative can be adapted more naturally.

Looking to do about platoon-sized skirmish, 20-30 figures a side, on a 1-to-1 scale i.e. 1 figure = 1 combatant. On a 6x4 table. Not planning to bring in vehicles. 28mm figs.

I wouldn't expect a rules set to handle kafers RAW, but I was thinking rules that pay a decent amount of attention to initiative can be adapted more naturally.
If you don't mind a bit of houseruling, you could probably hack either Striker or Stargrunt to do that. In fact, both systems have quite a lot of similarities.

Given the scdale, what's wrong with 2300 combat rules as is?

Standardize skill level/mods, figure out a simplified move/fire sequence, and go.

Standardize skill level/mods, figure out a simplified move/fire sequence, and go.

I wouldn't use the 2300AD combat rules even for the RPG. Have you read the combat example in the rulebook?

I wouldn't use the 2300AD combat rules even for the RPG. Have you read the combat example in the rulebook?

I understand you, but I guess what kilemall intends to say (I cannot talk for him) is that, if you're intending to use a 1:1 scale for the troopers, why not to use your standard RPG combat system (whatever it is)?

Most skirmish systems we have been suggesting to you are for unit combat, not individual one.

Anyway, if that's what you intend, I'd suggest you to look at AHL system, if you can get Access to it (I guess it's on FFE disks, but I'm not sure at which one). It's relativeely quick and with it you can represent firefights among groups of 30-40 people per side (some scenarios are close to it), and, while initially thought for short distance combat (inside an Imperial Cruiser), the ranges given for weapons allow for exterior combat too...

The only thing you'd need to adapt it is to adapt weaponry and armos, but I guess this would be easy (most laser rifles would be Laser Rifle or Carabine, Gauss weapons already exist, as most chemical propelled round weapons, etc...).

I understand you, but I guess what kilemall intends to say (I cannot talk for him) is that, if you're intending to use a 1:1 scale for the troopers, why not to use your standard RPG combat system (whatever it is)?

Most skirmish systems we have been suggesting to you are for unit combat, not individual one.

Anyway, if that's what you intend, I'd suggest you to look at AHL system, if you can get Access to it (I guess it's on FFE disks, but I'm not sure at which one). It's relativeely quick and with it you can represent firefights among groups of 30-40 people per side (some scenarios are close to it), and, while initially thought for short distance combat (inside an Imperial Cruiser), the ranges given for weapons allow for exterior combat too...

The only thing you'd need to adapt it is to adapt weaponry and armos, but I guess this would be easy (most laser rifles would be Laser Rifle or Carabine, Gauss weapons already exist, as most chemical propelled round weapons, etc...).

Most RPG's are small skirmish combat systems.

Dirtside II (GZG) is small scale skirmish. Individuals per figure.

Ogre/GEV isn't skirmish scale, but full on multi-company battle scale. single vehicle, infantry platoon level units.

Striker I is 4-man fireteams per base, individual vehicles. large skirmish to regiment vs regiment battle.

Striker II is 1 man to a figure. Skirmish scale.

At that scale, maybe have a look at "Black Ops" written by Guy Bowers and published by Osprey. Has "near future" weapons and equipment in a special section at the back of the rulebook.

Back