• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Who doesn't like dinosaurs (any edition)

Actually, Cryton, I am working to find as much copyright-free imagery of dinosaurs to put into a bestiary book. That is a work in progress, but I am collecting it. One problem is figuring out stats, and what type of weapon damage can be done by various weapons. Against the big one, something on the order of a 37mm to 57mm gun might be needed. The old 57mm recoilless rifle is one of my starting points, along with Samuel Baker's one-half pound rifle for shooting African elephants.

Pronoia, the garden world of the Alpha Centauri system, has dinosaurs and previously presumed extent mammals that were clearly lifted from Earth. They are HIGHLY protected so it is unlikely any player is going to go Big Game Hunting, or vice versa.

Pronoia, the garden world of the Alpha Centauri system, has dinosaurs and previously presumed extent mammals that were clearly lifted from Earth. They are HIGHLY protected so it is unlikely any player is going to go Big Game Hunting, or vice versa.

That's just the sort of world that begs for adventures to be written about.

In looking at the 1st Edition AD&D Monster Manual, it looks like that would be a starting point to develop dinosaur data for Traveller. The Classic Traveller system uses a hit point damage sequence for determining hits to unconscious and then death. It looks like if you take the AD&D data for damage hit points as total for Traveller unconscious then death, you can use that for damage. Working up damage per attack by the creature looks like it might be doable as well. Armor will be an issue, and what weapons basically are going to be pretty useless. Lasers are not going to be terribly useful, but explosive projectiles are going to be quite useful, as are large caliber solid rounds.

In looking at the 1st Edition AD&D Monster Manual, it looks like that would be a starting point to develop dinosaur data for Traveller. The Classic Traveller system uses a hit point damage sequence for determining hits to unconscious and then death. It looks like if you take the AD&D data for damage hit points as total for Traveller unconscious then death, you can use that for damage. Working up damage per attack by the creature looks like it might be doable as well. Armor will be an issue, and what weapons basically are going to be pretty useless. Lasers are not going to be terribly useful, but explosive projectiles are going to be quite useful, as are large caliber solid rounds.

The old LAG (Light Assault Gun) with AP ammo should prove a good take-down weapon. The RAM should also prove useful. SMGs probably would just piss them off.

I like dinosaurs and all sorts of other prehistoric animals, and think they make fun, easy models for Traveller creatures.

Back