• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Mongoose 2300AD: 20-ton fighter, TL10

Brandon C

SOC-13
20-ton fighter, TL10

The Guepe (Wasp) was one of the first generation of space fighters using stutterwarp [Old Commercial drives]. Like many other fighters of it's era, it was designed for atmospheric flight as well as space, which is really the only reason any are still in use in 2300, Pilots unlucky enough to fly the fighter today refer to it as Moucheron (gnat). Less than fifty are still in use, scattered among impoverished colonies, asteroid mining facilities and pirates.

The fighter uses a VTOL hybrid lifting body. Drives are stutterwarp sL, air-breathing rocket sG and fuel cells power plant sN. Standard radiators are fitted. Performance is 1.6 ly/day, tactical speed 3 and acceleration 3.5G. The rocket has 12 hours of reaction mass and the powerplant 24 hours of fuel.

The pilot sits in a cockpit with a Model 3 computer and basic military sensors. The fighter has a single LL-88 laser in a fixed mount forward and a 2-ton missile bay. The original missiles carried have long been out of production and current munitions can vary greatly, largely depending on what Arm the fighter is operating in. Weapon targeting is handled by a TTA and missile director. Cargo is 0.2 tons. Cost was MLv 20.9 new (without missiles), but used price is considerably less

Last edited:
Nice design again. Due to the name, I guess it was developed by France (what makes sense, as it was the first nation to develop stutterwarp).

I understand it to be a two seat fighter (pilot and missile director/gunner), and Iguess its thought for standoff missile attack folowed by closing and using the laser...

I don't understand why you say theoir weaponry is no longer produced. After all, the French lasers appearing in the book are TL 9-10, and some TL10 missiles (the Argentinian EM-1 will fit nicely i na 2 ton bay) are stil lin use, or they could mount higher TL missiles, some of them even llowing for more than 1 missile being carried for the stand-off attack.

All in all, as said, a nice design...

Nice design again. Due to the name, I guess it was developed by France (what makes sense, as it was the first nation to develop stutterwarp).

Yes, it's French.

I understand it to be a two seat fighter (pilot and missile director/gunner), and I guess its thought for standoff missile attack followed by closing and using the laser...

I intended it to single-seat, but since I copies most internal components from the Martel fighter in the rule book, including the cockpit, I guess it is two-seat.

I don't understand why you say theoir weaponry is no longer produced. After all, the French lasers appearing in the book are TL 9-10, and some TL10 missiles (the Argentinian EM-1 will fit nicely i na 2 ton bay) are stil lin use, or they could mount higher TL missiles, some of them even llowing for more than 1 missile being carried for the stand-off attack.

True, the LL-88 laser is on the table and probably what the fighter would have been fitted with. OTOH, there are only two TL10 missiles in the tables and neither are French. One is too large to fit in the bay and only one of the other can be carried. Any of the fighters in service probably carry two 1-ton or 4 0.5-ton missiles.

Back