• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

A crystal sphere in the Sol subsector of the Solomani rim.

Werner

SOC-13
I am looking at a map of the Sol subsector, there are three worlds shown on the map arranged in a triangle: there is Barnard in hex 0306, Terra index 0207, and Prometheus in hex 0407, in the center of the triangle is an empty hex 0307. What if I put something in that empty hex, like for instance a crystal sphere from the Spelljammer setting, instead of it floating around in the hydrogen, it floats in the vacuum of space between the stars.

The star in the center is conceived by the crystal sphere and no one knows it exists until one day a pirate ship misjumps into it. The crystal sphere contains a replica of the Solar System, yet inside all the rules of wild space, magic, and dungeons & dragons apply. Traveller starships can still fly around with in, but they can't jump out until they exit the sphere. The sphere's radius is 60 AU, about twice the orbital radius of Neptune. All eight planets are represented within. The rules of gravity work differently, each planet has a 1g field within its atmosphere, outside the atmosphere the normal inverse square Law of gravity applies. Jupiter is a body of breathable atmosphere under 1g if you are in the atmosphere, but regular Jupiter gravity if you are above it. Saturn is also a body of breathable air, Neptune and Uranus are bodies of water surrounded by breathable atmosphere. Mars, Earth, Luna, Venus, and Mercury are rocky terrestrial worlds all with 1g fields within their atmospheres and their normal gravity above it.

Small objects have 1g planar gravity fields that carry their own atmospheres extending out to twice the longest dimension of said object, spelljammer rules apply. Traveller starships that find themselves within the crystal sphere also have their own planar gravity fields, artificial gravity plating overrides this within the hull of the ship, but outside planar gravity rules apply. If the ship vents its atmosphere into wild space, the ship's planar gravity field will trap that atmosphere within, preventing full decompression. The maneuver drives work fine, but if it comes within a certain distance of a smaller object, such as a spell jamming ship, it will tend to drag that ship along limiting the relative velocities between the two objects until the maximum distance is exceeded. Spelljammer move at a constant speed while the Traveller ships accelerate and decelerate.

What do you think would happen if we combined those two settings?

hVP19sB

Here is a 3d map of the area around the Terra System. This picture is viewd from above the ecliptic of the Sol System.

Your image apparently did not upload.
Yeah, annoying isn't it? I posted a link to it afterwards in my next post, I tested the link myself, and it did go to the image. By the way, how do you do those tables anyway? in preview I couldn't get a table to show, I assume each cell is delimited by commas or semicolons, but so far no luck.

In the map I assigned various important worlds from the Sol the Dignit, and the Capella subsector to real nesrby stars using the Solomani Rim book as a guide and the map orientation Santo which stars get which planets. The Alpha Centauri system has three star of which only one main world was listed in the book, Prometheus, I decided to create two additional main worlds, one for each star. Prometheus is the most important main world, it has a class A starport, and despite the fact that it is one size smaller than Terra in has the same surface gravity due to a higher metal content and denser core. Prometheus orbits an orange K0 V star that we know ad Alpha Centauri B, the reason why it's a main World is that a gold rush attracted settlers there first, and also because, it has a small gas giant nearby for convenient refueling of starships. Alpha Centauri A is a paler star similar to our Sun but larger, and it has a size 9 planet named Athena in keeping with the Greek myth naming conventionsbestablished by Prometheus, the third planet orbits Proxima and used to be called Proxima b, but has since been renamed Aurora after the Greek goddess of the dawn. Aurora has a Tainted dense atmosphere, and is tidally locked to its star, which has a tendency to throw up super massive stellar flares every now and then, it is not as desirable place to live as the other two planets, but still has an population in the billions,

Copy the picture link, right-click on the picture in my browser.

Insert a picture link with the little picture button above the text input field, and paste the copied link.

You should get something like this:
[IMG]https://i.ibb.co/CQks8Bb/Near-Stars-Traveller.png[/IMG]

Change the IMG tag to IMGW (image width), both at the beginning and at the end. Add a width limit, e.g. 600 pixels by adding =600 after the first IMGW tag.
[IMGw=600]https://i.ibb.co/CQks8Bb/Near-Stars-Traveller.png[/IMGw]

Copy the picture link, right-click on the picture in my browser.

Insert a picture link with the little picture button above the text input field, and paste the copied link.

You should get something like this:
[IMG]https://i.ibb.co/CQks8Bb/Near-Stars-Traveller.png[/IMG]

Change the IMG tag to IMGW (image width), both at the beginning and at the end. Add a width limit, e.g. 600 pixels by adding =600 after the first IMGW tag.
[IMGw=600]https://i.ibb.co/CQks8Bb/Near-Stars-Traveller.png[/IMGw]
Thanks. What do you think of my map by the way? There are a lot of stars that aren't shown, mostly red dwarfs. I decided to limit myself to 13 star systems, calculating the distances between more stars than that gets cumbersome, and I didn't map out every possible route between all 13 star systems, but on the bottom I have a table showing distances in light years. If you want to know what kind of jump drive you need to jump each distance, then divide the number in light years by 3.26 and round off to the nearest integer, so that means Jump-1 covers from 0 to 1.49 parsecs, Jump-2 covers from 1.5 to 2.49 parsecs and so on. They crystal sphere is not shown on the map, but it is located somewhere within the triangle formed by Terra, Prometheus, and Barnard, that is either in this map or on the one in the Solomani Rim, your choice.

A groups of pirates trying to evade capture by the Imperium Navy initiated a jump too close to a planet as they were under fire, they misjudged to within the crystal sphere and found their way out again, they couldn't jump from within the sphere, but they could jump into the sphere from outside. The shell of the crystal sphere allowed inward jumps but not outward jumps. A ship has to make it's way to one of the many portals in the surface of a sphere allowing ships to exit, they are marked by the images of fake stars as seen from the interior of the sphere, they correspond to naked eye stars as seen in the constellations of our night sky. The material of the sphere proved indestructible to weapons fire from any of the weapons the pirates brought with them, and the sphere conceals the star within from being seen from outside. The pirates simply recorded the location and velocity vectors of the sphere on their ship's navigational computer and they can jump back inside whenever they need a place to hide from authorities, but this time with a deliberate jump, not a misjump.

I am looking at a map of the Sol subsector, there are three worlds shown on the map arranged in a triangle: there is Barnard in hex 0306, Terra index 0207, and Prometheus in hex 0407, in the center of the triangle is an empty hex 0307. What if I put something in that empty hex, like for instance a crystal sphere from the Spelljammer setting, instead of it floating around in the hydrogen, it floats in the vacuum of space between the stars.

The star in the center is conceived by the crystal sphere and no one knows it exists until one day a pirate ship misjumps into it. The crystal sphere contains a replica of the Solar System, yet inside all the rules of wild space, magic, and dungeons & dragons apply. Traveller starships can still fly around with in, but they can't jump out until they exit the sphere. The sphere's radius is 60 AU, about twice the orbital radius of Neptune. All eight planets are represented within. The rules of gravity work differently, each planet has a 1g field within its atmosphere, outside the atmosphere the normal inverse square Law of gravity applies. Jupiter is a body of breathable atmosphere under 1g if you are in the atmosphere, but regular Jupiter gravity if you are above it. Saturn is also a body of breathable air, Neptune and Uranus are bodies of water surrounded by breathable atmosphere. Mars, Earth, Luna, Venus, and Mercury are rocky terrestrial worlds all with 1g fields within their atmospheres and their normal gravity above it.

Small objects have 1g planar gravity fields that carry their own atmospheres extending out to twice the longest dimension of said object, spelljammer rules apply. Traveller starships that find themselves within the crystal sphere also have their own planar gravity fields, artificial gravity plating overrides this within the hull of the ship, but outside planar gravity rules apply. If the ship vents its atmosphere into wild space, the ship's planar gravity field will trap that atmosphere within, preventing full decompression. The maneuver drives work fine, but if it comes within a certain distance of a smaller object, such as a spell jamming ship, it will tend to drag that ship along limiting the relative velocities between the two objects until the maximum distance is exceeded. Spelljammer move at a constant speed while the Traveller ships accelerate and decelerate.

What do you think would happen if we combined those two settings?

I like the idea of combining the two settings as I am trying to do something similar in the sector that I am working on. It is towards the Rim of the galaxy, and I assume that odd things can happen there, similar to what A. Bertram Chandler does in his John Grimes series of books.

I dug out my T20 CD and in looking at it, it has a System Reference Document for Fantasy under the Open Gaming License, which you might want to look at if you have the CD. That would be a good starting point. I am not familiar with Spelljammer, but I am quite familiar with the earlier editions of D&D. I am also tossing Metamorphosis Alpha into the mix as well.

If you decide to do this, I will be a very interested follower of the thread.

I like the idea of combining the two settings as I am trying to do something similar in the sector that I am working on. It is towards the Rim of the galaxy, and I assume that odd things can happen there, similar to what A. Bertram Chandler does in his John Grimes series of books.

I dug out my T20 CD and in looking at it, it has a System Reference Document for Fantasy under the Open Gaming License, which you might want to look at if you have the CD. That would be a good starting point. I am not familiar with Spelljammer, but I am quite familiar with the earlier editions of D&D. I am also tossing Metamorphosis Alpha into the mix as well.

If you decide to do this, I will be a very interested follower of the thread.
Spelljammer is literally AD&D in space, it was designed for the second edition, but much of what was written about second edition carries over to third edition well enough. The idea behind Spelljammer is that there is a magical item that looks like a chair called a helm, you bolt it to the hull of a sailing ship such as a galleon or a schooner, and a spellcaster sits on the helm, and he loses his spellcasting ability for a day in exchange for being able to fly the ship through planetary atmospheres and wildspace. The physics of wildspace is a bit different than that of the Traveller Universe. Wildspace is full of vacuum like normal space, but each object has it's own 1g gravity field, instead of pulling things toward it, it pulls things toward a flat gravity plane arranged along the longest dimension of the object, and this gravity field retain an atmosphere that extends out to twice the largest dimension of the object in question, this is only for small objects that are not spherical for game purposes we will assume these are most objects smaller that World size 1, that would be less that 800 kilometers in diameter or Size S.

For objects size 1 and greater, the gravity field is spherical, and the atmosphere extend about 100 km above the surface and they are always 1g within the atmosphere, above the atmosphere, the gravity assumes the value that normal physics would indicate, as this governs the orbital motions of the planets moons and asteroids. The worlds come in four types, fire bodies, earth bodies, water bodies and air bodies. In the fantasy solar system within the crystal sphere there are nine major bodies, the Sun, also called Helios is the only fire body, there are four planets that are Earth bodies Hermes, Aphrodite, Gaia, and Ares, there are two worlds that are air bodies Zeus, and Chronos sometimes spelled Kronos, and there is Uranos, and Poseidon which are water bodies, these worlds correspond to the Traveller Sun and Worlds Mercury, Venus, Terra, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune correspondingly.

The technology used by the inhabitants within the crystal sphere is the Traveller tech level 3 or lower, magic is also fairly common and used alongside of that, this tech is of the late 18th century, it is the age of sail, the age of gunpowder, cannon and musket, and the history being played out on Gaia sort of parallels that of Earth in the late 18th century, specifically in the year 1775 AD, but with magic, and monsters and multiple intelligent races such as elves, dwarves, halfling, gnomes, humans, orcs, goblins, merfolk etc. Only a small minority of them know about or spelljamming ships, most live their whole lives on one of these nine worlds of their satellites, and the asteroid Belt, the Sun Helios is inhabited by fire dwelling creatures such as fire elementals and the like.

Since it's limited, entrance to a pocket dimension where the laws of physics are a bit askew, rather than a gateway to the Multiverse.

Since it's limited, entrance to a pocket dimension where the laws of physics are a bit askew, rather than a gateway to the Multiverse.
It is a higher tech level than is standard for other crystal spheres of it's kind, in that it has gunpowder and higher tech levels will operate within, a Starship can maneuver, fire its weapons, use sensors and so forth, the only reason it can't jump out is because the crystal shell blocks the sensors from taking readings allowing for calculations for a jump outside, so in essence any jump that begins from inside a crystal sphere is a misjump. There are also higher powers within also known as gods and goddesses inside that don't get along with the gods of other crystal spheres, so this sphere has been exiled and cast out from the universe it came from.

Back