• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

A different way to look at Charted Space

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
I had some time on my hands waiting for as Doctor. I tried coming up with a different way of looking at what we see on a space map. I used the United States as an examle.

Domain
Sector
Subsector
World

Region
State
Area
Town

Old West
Arizona
South
Tuscon

Domain of Deneb
Spinward Marches
Regina Subsector
Efate

I had some time on my hands waiting for as Doctor. I tried coming up with a different way of looking at what we see on a space map. I used the United States as an example.

Domain
Sector
Subsector
World

Region
State
Area
Town

Old West
Arizona
South
Tuscon

Domain of Deneb
Spinward Marches
Regina Subsector
Efate

Change "Area" to "County".
(or "Parish" for a few of you out there . . . ).

Yes, like any address, a hierarchical database. It will extend down on the planet with smaller and smaller areas.

Isn't that the obvious way to look at it? It's been presented that way since CT: The Imperium consists of Domains, that consists of Sectors, that consists of Subsectors, that consists of Systems, that consists of Worlds, that consists of etc, etc...

How about
NKL7QJK.jpeg

Farthing is Icelandic, shire and marches are Anglo Saxon, duchy is Norman
They also have nothing to do with subdivisions of the same whole.
They don't even "stack" correctly the way that you've organized them (larger to smaller subdivisions).

What you have done is "Fire the Non-sequitron! Full Power!" and expected applause to result.
Farthing is Icelandic, shire and marches are Anglo Saxon, duchy is Norman
D9MgHbA.gif

Another way to look at it, would be ten times ten parsecs equals a shire, with an appointed shire reeve.

A parsec is a bailiwick, if occupied, under the supervision of a bailiff.

Nine shires, nominally thirty by thirty parsecs, are a duchy, led by a Dux.

the border shires called marches (sectors)
Marches are regions where fighting is expected to happen (repeatedly), and/or locations where large bodies of fighting troops are raised, maintained and kept under arms (hence "marches" for the literal marching of infantry).
Another way to look at it
I vastly prefer this approach to whatever @mike wightman has been going on about.
Certainly works out a lot better as a feudal "stack" and makes a bit more sense.

Yes, it translates at farthing,
so first you quarter the realm - domains
then you split them into shires with the border shires called marches (sectors)
individual military areas then become duchy in the old roman meaning - a land ruled by a warlord/dux/duke - ie the subsectors.
Another way to look at it, would be ten times ten parsecs equals a shire, with an appointed shire reeve.

A parsec is a bailiwick, if occupied, under the supervision of a bailiff.

Nine shires, nominally thirty by thirty parsecs, are a duchy, led by a Dux.

Over here across the Pond in the State of Delaware, they still subdivide their Counties into Hundreds.
Bailiff of the Hundred?

How many hexes from the marches should the heartland be? Or better put, how many jumps for the opposing tech?
That is better, but it will vary by factors that increase or decrease the area in uncertain or disputed control. If the empire has a firm hold of the border region, neighbours are not very aggressive or effective and movement is difficult, there might not be much of a march or any distance at all (consider a strong fortress closing the outward end of a narrow corridor, securing all that sits behind it). If the empire doesn't deploy enough defenders, enemies raid often and freely or even push back imperial forces and the terrain allows wide and free movement, the marches might be broad and shifting.

Last edited:
Marches are regions where fighting is expected to happen (repeatedly), and/or locations where large bodies of fighting troops are raised, maintained and kept under arms (hence "marches" for the literal marching of infantry).
The etymological origin of “march” (as in marching) goes through Middle English marchen → Middle French marcher → Old French marchier → Frankish *markōn→ Proto-Germanic *markōną, while the etymological origin of “march” (as in border region) goes through Middle English marche → Old French marche → Frankish *marku → Proto-Germanic *markō. The border region “march” is more closely related to “mark” (through Middle English to Old English mearc — think of Tolkien’s Mark of Rohan), and thus to “Mercia”, than to the marching “march”. The meaning of the marching “march” comes primarily from its Frankish ancestor — “to mark, mark out, to press with the foot”; the foot-pressing meaning is entirely absent from the ancestors of the border region “march”.

Over here across the Pond in the State of Delaware, they still subdivide their Counties into Hundreds.
Bailiff of the Hundred?
Sure, a bailiff is an official appointed by a higher noble or by the monarch. Their area of operation varies but one or several hundreds might be right (the bailiwick of the Chiltern Hundreds in England currently includes three hundreds and were previously five or six, if I recall rightly).

That is better, but it will vary by factors that increase or decrease the area in uncertain or disputed control. If the empire has a firm hold of the border region, neighbours are not very aggressive or effective and movement is difficult, there might not be much of a march or any distance at all (consider a strong fortress closing the outward end of a narrow corridor, securing all that sits behind it).
So ... you've just described the Corridor Sector and Corridor Fleet.

Back