• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

A newbie's experiences with T5

Hey all, first post here.

I've gotten back into ttrpgs after a long absence, initially at the request of my brother and nephew to run an online game during Covid. Long story short, I had a blast and have now dived back into rpgs again as a full hobby. I'd forgotten how fun these were, mainly defecting to board/war games for the last decade or two.

After awhile, I decided to look for a good sci fi rpg. My current group wants to play Star Wars, which I'll probably end up running for them, but don't particularly care for. So I started looking. Ended up landing on Coriolis... but also stumbled across T5. I had MegaTraveller back in the day, and the original 3 core books. I loved them but never got to play them, my gaming group adamantly refusing to play anything but DnD and the older d6 Star Wars. Sigh. Don't remember much. Never rolled up a character even.

I impulse bought T5. Figured if nothing else, I could have fun with it solo. Then I read the reviews. Hmm. Had I made a big mistake?

What I got in the three volume set was ... surprising. I expected your typical space rpg with a Azimov/Foundation kinda setting, which is what I remember from MT.

What I actually had in my hands was the craziest, most comprehensive, most detailed collection of sci fi gaming tools any developer has ever committed to paper, even if it was organized by a nest of deranged squirrels.

I kinda love it.

I don't remember much about the old games, just that I owned them and could never convince anyone to play them. While T5 has some of the most mystifying organization I've ever seen in a rule book, once I wrapped my head around where things were (which took some wrapping, let me tell ya), it's pretty amazing in parts. Not all of it is useful at the table, I think, but it's a bottomless pit of depth. The world/char/ship/etc generation tools are basically a game themselves.

I rolled up a character last night. Every other rpg I have played you basically decide what you want, choose skills and roll stats, and make that character. It relies solely on your character vision, and due to this, mostly people land on generic stuff like 'ranger who is a loner' and 'dashing space pirate'. Not here. It seemed ridiculously complicated in T5 at first, until I actually made a character.

First... it wasn't that hard at all, more of a 'where do I find that table' problem than anything. I decided to roll up a marine. That didn't happen. What I ended up with was a navy pilot who was a war hero, an expert pilot and astrogator, who had survived an incredible battle and in the process, increased his social standing by rather a lot, due to the fame. This led me to come up with a battle, what he did in it, why he was famous, how that fame affected him and his reputation, what medal he got and why, personality traits like bravery and recklessness...

This guy... he felt like a real person, more like a character I'd create for a written story than a typical ttrpg character. I was only partially in control of his creation too, and the parts that the system generated acted like 'story prompts' for creating who he was. I ended up with a far, far more interesting character than I'd planned to do for a test roll up.

Which is kind of brilliant. I see why this system is still so loved 40 years on. I've never had this experience with a ttrpg. Had I known, I would have fought harder to bring this to the table back in the day.

Sure, there is a lot of stuff in T5 I'll never use, some parts that seem dodgy or unnecessary (ground combat, genetics), and some that I'll just bypass because they're too much work... but there is a lot here to love, maybe less as a cohesive game system and more as a vast resource of tools. I've printed up the pdfs of Classic Traveller to use as well, and will likely combine elements of T5 with the simpler to bring to the table aspects of classic.

Any tips on how to run this, or (most likely) how to combine aspects of it with other versions of Traveller would be welcome. Guess I'm part of the fan club now!

Any tips on how to run this

Pragmatically.

For a slightly longer answer, there's always Play By Post and can be done online here in the forums if your actual in-person tabletop group isn't inclined to play Traveller (so you can, even if they won't).

The biggest piece of advice is the bit you've already found out ... which is that Traveller is not a "railroad" RPG where you know what you want and you just go thataway to get it (in character creation and later in actual gameplay). Instead, it's more of a collaboration between the dice, the rules and your own imagination. In that respect, you need to be pragmatic about the results you wind up needing to confront through the course of play.

Or to quote a (formerly) mildly famous philosopher ...
The Doctor said:
"Brigadier, a straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting!"

It's been mentioned before, but when Marc Miller runs a convention game it's mostly hand-wavium.

Check out the task rules. When a situation comes up, make up a task roll based on difficulty, skills, and a stat. Go with it. Weight is the enemy.

But if you really need to know what happens with prolonged sleep deprivation, it's in the Book.

The biggest piece of advice is the bit you've already found out ... which is that Traveller is not a "railroad" RPG where you know what you want and you just go thataway to get it (in character creation and later in actual gameplay). Instead, it's more of a collaboration between the dice, the rules and your own imagination. In that respect, you need to be pragmatic about the results you wind up needing to confront through the course of play.

Yeah, this is rapidly becoming my favorite feature of the game. I first fell in love with this sort of 'procedural' content generation in Forbidden Lands, and I was surprised at how cool the stuff the tables generated was, and how much work it took off the DM (me).

I dig that. I don't have the spare time I did when I was 25 and staying up until 2am making stuff.

It's been mentioned before, but when Marc Miller runs a convention game it's mostly hand-wavium.

Check out the task rules. When a situation comes up, make up a task roll based on difficulty, skills, and a stat. Go with it. Weight is the enemy.

But if you really need to know what happens with prolonged sleep deprivation, it's in the Book.

Yeah, the task system seems very flexible. I think it will cover generally everything I need.

Most of the T5 'crunch' I'm going to use is the procedural stuff for making systems, planets, characters and things. The actual game, buried under all these tables, is fairly direct, seems like: Task checks are mostly: determine difficulty (# of dice to roll) Roll under a Stat + Skill +/- mod of some kind. That seems pretty elegant.

I think the CORE thing you like about Traveller5 is generally common to all Traveller editions. But the toolset -- the procedural stuff for building things -- puts T5 on top.

1. It properly balances game-usability and level of detail.
2. In general, that stuff can be used in any edition of Traveller.
3. Since Marc built them, they're authoritative. This also applies to the descriptive text in the rules on "how things work".

Also common to other editions of Traveller are a non-zero number of little errors, but I think all of the howlers have been squashed.

Last edited:
Sure, there is a lot of stuff in T5 I'll never use, some parts that seem dodgy or unnecessary (ground combat, genetics) [...]

Any tips on how to run this, or (most likely) how to combine aspects of it with other versions of Traveller would be welcome. Guess I'm part of the fan club now!
And a belated welcome!!

First on genetics. That is also a tool... actually the part of it *I* love is how to create Chimeras -- it's a mad scientist's dream come true. I can blend Humans with the craziest "alien" type that I can think of, into a true abomination, ideal for the referee who injects some X-Files or Aliens into his game.

Second on other versions of Traveller. T5's stuff-generators work well with any version of Traveller. There are three levels of compatibility.

1. Authority. World generation in T5 is definitive; other systems are typically subsets, and work fine, though are de-standardized.

2. Compatibility. Guns, Armor, Vehicles, Robots, Starships generated by T5 are, in general, compatible with other rule systems. The important incompatibilities are in armor ratings and weapon damage ratings; the other stats are generic enough to be used in Gamma World, for goodness' sake.

I note that one of the Makers in T5 is generically brilliant: ThingMaker has a way to bypass ALL of the procedure and go straight to Description As Design. So you don't have to design a bicycle or jeep or portable gas generator. Describe it in rules-usable terms and you're good.

3. Incompatibility. With characters, you'll have to decide how to convert skill levels. Once that's done, characters will work fine in the target system. Ideally you should probably just "rebuild" your T5 character using the target system rules. In a pinch, though, you can get close to MegaTraveller and Mongoose Traveller by halving T5 skill levels. But character conversion is an art form.

I think the CORE thing you like about Traveller5 is generally common to all Traveller editions. But the toolset -- the procedural stuff for building things -- puts T5 on top.

1. It properly balances game-usability and level of detail.
2. In general, that stuff can be used in any edition of Traveller.
3. Since Marc built them, they're authoritative. This also applies to the descriptive text in the rules on "how things work".

Also common to other editions of Traveller are a non-zero number of little errors, but I think all of the howlers have been squashed.
Has a list of squashed howlers (and the details of the quashes) been made public? I'd love to see such a list.

Has a list of squashed howlers (and the details of the quashes) been made public? I'd love to see such a list.
YES. Not my speciality at all. HOWEVER, Don's errata is exactly that. His list was compiled from the T5 errata thread on this board. I wouldn't advise going from the list, though, since curating it into an errata pile seems to me to have been a big job.

Is Don's errata public? I seem to think so, but..?

I thought it was in the files section previously, but I may be mistaking that with his timeline (also an excellent resource that I did manage to get a copy of. When I run games, I use that to see what is happening in the time period we end up playing in).

Or perhaps they were both stickied somewhere.

I thought it was in the files section previously, but I may be mistaking that with his timeline (also an excellent resource that I did manage to get a copy of. When I run games, I use that to see what is happening in the time period we end up playing in).

Oooh yeah, that timeline is a gem. Every now and then one of us reminds Marc that the main section needs to be made available on DTRPG.

Or perhaps they were both stickied somewhere.
Where is the files section?

T5 has an intimidating amount of crunch but the detail and richness is second to none. It actually motivated me to break out my Python programming books. Probably not going to automate it but it screams for it.

I find it one of the most comprehensive things I own for RPG's. RAW play is hard for it. I'd likely use the rules as inspiration and do a lite version around a table.

^ This. I've exercised a lot of Perl and JavaScript automating things.

Last edited:
I'd likely use the rules as inspiration and do a lite version around a table.

"Lite" T5 is the way I play it. It's also the way Don McKinney and Greg Lee played it. But then we "grew up" with Classic Traveller Books 1-3.

We would essentially run CT-like adventures, but where the target number is the characteristic + skill, and we'd adjust difficulty by adding or subtracting a die (or two). 3D is suitable when the primary skill levels are 3's and 4's.

Greg had more crunch. Don had less. But it boiled down to using full dice to set the difficulty.

This is also worth echoing. Marc is slowly approaching a lite version that is no-nonsense, minimal fluff, more like the LBBs.

And if I were a better friend, I'd pester him about it.
You can always get the PDF version from Drivethru, and start copying and pasting. You can just take what you need and start from there. Use pre-designed ships, vehicles, and weapons so you can drop all of the design sequences, shrink the number of character classes down to the ones in Classic, and have at it.

Last edited:
Back