• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

A Witchy Yacht

Jame

SOC-14 5K
(Presenting a yacht being used as a liner. I have another version of it, in a homebrew setting I'm brewing. Use it as flavor, use it as a platform for adventures, don't use it at all, but read it and enjoy it!)

The Show-Off Witch
The Show-Off Witch is a Sorceress-class yacht operated by Dame Wren Owen, who is a scion of House Owen. It was bestowed upon her by the Duke of Ley, when Wren foiled – quite literally, by using a foil – an assassination attempt. Dame Owen operates it as a liner, traveling along a route in Ley that occasionally travels beyond the border.
This Tl 11, 200-ton yacht performs at Jump-2, using Jump Drive B and 2G, using Maneuver Drive B, with 50 tons Jump fuel and a model-2 computer, powered by a plant-B. There are 12 staterooms, one of which has been combined to house both Wren and her bodyguard (Hoan Jemison, who is an ex-Marine hired at her family’s insistence), leaving the engineer, Emile Jin, and pilot, Maxmilin “Lazy-Lungs” Tren, to double bunk; the steward, Vanny-May Ikshma, has the last crew stateroom. Passenger staterooms account for the remaining accommodations. The Witch has a double turret with two pulse lasers. 8 d-tons of cargo are allowed in the hold, allowing 40 tons of cargo to be carried. Since the Witch is unstreamlined, the 30-ton ship’s boat is used to skim fuel or carry the air/raft, cargo and passengers. A fuel processor rig is attached to Engineering, allowing wilderness refueling.

EDIT: Changed to be more in line with CT Book 2 rules, making it faster out of Jump as well...
file_22.gif

EDIT*2: Gave it a formal class name. Plus edited to note editing.

The ship’s locker contains:
6 sets multiview goggles (TL-12)
8 vacuum suits (TL-11; in airlock, does not include crew’s suits)
2 shotguns, with 10 loaded magazines total (TL-10)
1 ACR, with 6 loaded magazines (TL-12)
1 magnum revolver, with 6 speed-loaders (TL-11)
1 magnum autopistol, with 6 loaded magazines (TL-12)
2 Autopistols, 10 loaded magazines total (TL-11)
1 security kit (TL-12)
4 survival kits (TL-11)
2 hand computers and many, many data-clips (TL-11)
5 sets of cloth armor (TL-11
5 medium-range comms, generally carried by the crew (TL-12)
Mechanical, engineering and electronics kits (TL-11)
Ammunition for weapons, in boxes (TL as weapon)

The computer programs are:
Gunner Interact, Double Fire, Return Fire, Anti-Missile, Selective-2, Maneuver/Evade-2, Auto/Evade, ECM, Predict-2, Maneuver, Navigation, Generate, Anti-Hijack, Jump-1, Jump-2
Total Price: 201,000 Cr (house rule where programs are a few thousand Cr instead of a million or so)

The Crew:

Wren Owen: 476A6B 1-term (14-18 year*) noble 1 term merchant 2nd officer. A petite 22-year-old woman with green eyes and dark hair, which is often dyed red or blond. She is the youngest Daughter of House Owen, not in line for inheritance until she earned the yacht, and knighthood, by using a foil on an assassin. Promptly named the yacht the Show-Off Witch and used it to open a free-lance liner business, catering to some nobles and those wealthy enough to use the services of a liner, plus those taking a once-in-a-lifetime passage on a yacht. Just barely making a living on her skills, and is looking for that Big Break.
Charisma-1 Fencing-1 Admin-1 Computer-1 Business-1 Dance-1 Sensors-1 Philosophy-1 Law (Business law)-1 Stealth-1 Streetwise-1 Vacc-1 Handgun-0 Lasers-0; Yacht (Show-Off Witch), 100,000 credits
*Referee's option: this character can be switched to normal terms, which means that she started at 18 and is now 26. I may institute this myself...

Emile Jemison: 875694 1.5 term ex-Marine Lieutenant. A medium-height 24 year old man, black-eyed and nut-brown hair, with a scar under his ribcage from a childhood injury to his lung. He was discharged from the Marine Corps in a corruption scandal involving his battalion CO and platoon sergeant. After a year trying, and failing, to get work as a mercenary (not too much demand at the time), he was hired by Lord and Lady Owen to bodyguard their daughter Wren. He finds he enjoys the work, even if he doesn’t get to blow stuff up as often as he’d like. The Marines had trained him to use computers for nefarious purposes, and his new employer manages to use this skill once in a while. Plus, Wren is pretty...
Computer-2 Long Blade-2 Grav Vehicle-2 Battledress-1 Demolitions-1 Recon-1 Rifle-1 Streetwise-1* Pistols-1 Vacc-1; High Passage, 30,000 credits
*Referee's option: Streetwise can be switched with Gunnery if you don't want to generate another character for the position. This is an armed yacht, after all...

Maxmilin “Lazy-Lungs” Tren: 787979 3 term ex-scout. Tren is a lanky 30-year-old with one blue eye and one green eye. When he started getting bored in the Scouts, he turned to the merchant world and found excitement piloting for some dinky little yacht this new-minted Knight was operating. It’s still fun, and at least the kid is the only one he has to answer to. And the routes she takes lead to interesting astrogation.
Astrogate-3 Computer-2 Pilot-2 Business-1 First Aid-1 Gravitics-1 Perception-1 Pistol-1 Research-1 Sensors-1 Survey-1 Survival-1 Throwing-1 Blade-0 Grav Vehicle-0; 30,000 credits, survival knife.

Hoan Jin: 5479C7 3 term ex-scholar. Mr. Jin, Master of Science, is a very skinny, tall, somewhat frail man of 30 years who is in poor physical condition due to a jump-space accident in his teens. This accident led him to a good education, attending a very good college for two bachelor’s degrees and a master of science in physics, with minors in chemistry and archaeology. He was disappointed when all he could find were several technical school positions followed by a position aboard a noble’s yacht. He thinks that Wren is kind of tiresome, but would love to let her give him fame; he wants to become a college dean, after all. That bodyguard is uncouth, and the pilot is at times an unwelcome distraction (primarily when the ship's gravitics need to be fixed). He does enjoy teaching Ikshima, though.
Engineer-2 Electronics-2 Physics-2 Archaeology-1 Chemistry-1 Vacc Suit-1 Mechanical-1 Instruction-1 Writing-1 Computer-0 Gravitics-0 Handgun-0 Shotgun-0; 5,000 credits and college loans.

Vanessa-May Ikshima: 4B4748 1.5 term ex-merchant 4th officer. A 24 year old blond woman with tan skin and slanted eyes, looks like a gymnast. She joined the merchants in the hopes of getting a better education, and found some skills to earn it with. When she was let go from her position with Stellar Shipping, she panicked – right into the airlock of the Show-Off Witch. Apparently her last supervisor had thought well of her, and recommended her to Dame Owen as a ship’s boat pilot, medic and steward. The Dame, her bodyguard/lover and that pilot are a bit weird, but the Engineer is a good teacher and good friend, maybe more.
Ship’s Boat-3 First Aid-2 Computer-1 Mechanic-1 Fast-talk-1 Steward-1 Athletics-1 Vacc-1 Handgun-0 Shotgun-0; 5,000 credits.

Wow! Cool Jame. Except for one thing, you just gave away your secret... YOU'RE A MIND READER! That and my cheap psi-helm is obviously burned out again :mad:

Originally posted by far-trader:
Wow! Cool Jame. Except for one thing, you just gave away your secret... YOU'RE A MIND READER! That and my cheap psi-helm is obviously burned out again :mad:
Yeah, and I have attention problems, so sometimes - rarely, mind you, but not never - I forget what I read. I'm glad you liked it, but what'd I do to make you mad?

EDIT: Never mind, I read your mind again
file_23.gif
and remember what happened. You've gotta clean your mind out, though, I can't send you any telepathic messages...

Clutter, my life is in need of a "Clean Sweep"* intervention even here
Ready to recieve telepathic communications now, ah, yes, uh huh, OK, nah not mad at you just this batch of cheap psi-helms...

* Clean Sweep is a tv show where (and I've not actually watched it, just the previews) these show hosts and camera crews come into your home and make fun of your pack-rat habits while forcing you to part with the many dear and precious treasures you've collected over a lifetime so that your house (no longer your home) looks like one of those "perfect" magazine houses, at least until they leave and you can get back to making it comfortable again ;)

Well, F-T, your mind seems to have been given a good sweep. Or at the least, you made enough room to finally cram my opinion in that overcrowded rathole! ;)
file_23.gif
:D

On the topic of the Show-Off Witch herself, anyone have anything to say about her?

Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran von Gushiddan:
Great Stuff, Lord Jame! Deckplans?
Yes, I would like some, Sir! :D I'm thinking it looks like the type-Y yacht in CT, otherwise known as the Vanderbilt in the GURPS form.

EDIT: If any of you want to "borrow" her, then she's generally on feeder/frontier routes along the borders, having come there from somewhere in the core sectors - better place to make money with one ship...

Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran von Gushiddan:
Manta-Like? That sort of Design?
Sure. Just keep in mind the changes I made - 12 staterooms and 8 d-tons of cargo.

Edit: Sorry, _just_ 8 d-tons.

Actually, I don't think the Manta is the exact type I'm thinking of anymore. If anyone's interested in making a deckplan of this, please give me a Private Message.

Actually, I don't think the Manta is the exact type I'm thinking of anymore. If anyone's interested in making a deckplan of this, please give me a Private Message.
walt smith had good deckplans for the mistral's daughter, an attempt at the bk 2 type y yacht, but his website seems to have disappeared. does anyone have those deckplans or know where they are?

As a matter of fact, Mssr. flykiller had an excellent set of plans, though a streamlined version without a ship's boat. But now I'm thinking that it might work better...

I have also decided that I'd like deckplans for an unstreamlined version of this, with the 30-ton slow boat. If anyone'd like to try this, just contact me...

Originally posted by Jame:
1 security kit
Hmmm... Is it from a Traveller book I don't have or your homebrew? If it's the latter, I'd thank you if you'll post the specifications

Originally posted by Jame:
Wren Owen: 476A6B 1-term (14-18) noble 1 term merchant 2nd officer.
Switching services? Are you using MT, T4 or CT? If it's CT, i'd like to see your house rules on this subject...

T4, but this was for non-OTU. I got the switching services from an MTCG program.

And if you want to write up a security kit, go right ahead. Just so long as it's good for as many versions as possible...

Security Kit (7) Cr1,250. A suitcase containing basic security equipment for two guards, including 2 combination masks, 2 short-range communicators, 1 metal detector, 4 sets of handcuffs, 1 IR binoculars, 2 electric torches and 1 lockpick set. Weights 5 kg.

Back