• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Acclimating to local conditions

whartung

SOC-14 1K
So, I was reading a bit in TNE World Tamers Handbook.

And, while this has come up a little bit, I've never really seen it in this context.

The issue is acclimating troops to the destination planet. Notably thin/dense atmospheres. But, perhaps, even local gravity conditions.

Luckily, 99% of the time, the troops have a week long trip that can be used to give the troops a head start.

In this case, the troop ships would need to be set up for separate environments. One for the troops being carried, and another for the operational crew of the ship.

Consider the simple case of a thin atmosphere on the destination world. While imperfect, the troop ship can adjust the pressure in the troop quarters to planet local, or gradually reduce it down over the trip, to give the troops a bit of time "at altitude", as it were. The premise is that the troops are planetside for the long term (weeks to months), not a quick trip down to the pub, and they should operate better while acclimated. It also allows those who don't do well to fall out early (and on board) rather in the midst of combat.

The same thing can be done for higher-G worlds. While not ideal, a week at higher-G during transit gives a bit of a jump up than suffering exhausting "G lag" after landing.

Meanwhile the ships crews are at normal conditions. There's crossover to be sure, no real need for airlock or anything more formal, more a pressure seal actually, but also no reason to subject the crews to the new conditions that they won't be spending any long term time in.

This also brings up another point.

Do high ports run at some "imperial standard" for atmosphere and G? Or do they adopt the local standard? Or are they, too, segregated?

Do you think that random Free Trader staterooms have the ability to adjust stateroom pressure independently of the ship at large, like it can adjust the heater/air conditioner for temperature, or are the staterooms set to a ship standard?

I was under the impression passenger vessels do this acclimate routine as a normal part of their operations.

Do you think that random Free Trader staterooms have the ability to adjust stateroom pressure independently of the ship at large, like it can adjust the heater/air conditioner for temperature, or are the staterooms set to a ship standard?
Temperature, yes.
Humidity, yes.
Pressure, no.

LBB S7, p5:
Interior Walls: lnterior walls are partitions, non-load-bearing panels firmly fixed in place. They are not pressure-tight, and cannot withstand a concerted assault.
If you want a pressure differential (thin, standard, dense atmosphere) you're going to need a bulkhead. Also, a sliding door isn't going to "work right" with a pressure differential between both sides of the door.

LBB S7, p6:
Bulkheads: The major structural components of a ship are the bulkheads, and they represent the compartmentalization of the ship for damage control and environment maintenance as well as the outer hull of the ship.
Key word there being environmental maintenance.

For pressure differences like you're talking about here, you kinda sorta want to have an airlock of some sort ... even if you aren't going from atmosphere to vacuum. The difference in atmospheric pressure on both sides of the airlock is the important (sticking) point, both mechanically speaking and game mechanically speaking (as it turns out).

According MT:SOM, to gradually acclimatate the ship conditions to the destiny planet ones is routinely done. And I guess this is done for both crews and passengers (or troops), as the crews ae likely to have to make downfall sometime...

As per high ports, I'd bet about local condiitons (that can be standard ones if the colony is domed, in uninhabitable environs as vaccuum or non friendly atmospheres, as gravity may also be altered in those domes). The ship crews calling on the high port are more likely to be able to accept varied such condiitons than any passengers or other non crewships staying there...

It would be a gradual change, presumably in a distinctly separate section, so you could include pressure.

Internal airlock.

As per high ports, I'd bet about local condiitons (that can be standard ones if the colony is domed, in uninhabitable environs as vaccuum or non friendly atmospheres, as gravity may also be altered in those domes). The ship crews calling on the high port are more likely to be able to accept varied such condiitons than any passengers or other non crewships staying there...
High ports are almost certainly divided into zones due to the high incidence of bulkheads. The specifics will vary with the station, as there are many configurations already seen in publication.

Which brings up another issue of jump lag / circadian rhythms. Worlds have their own gravity/atm, but locations on worlds also have their own physical day/night as well as their cultural “day/night” (if world rotation ~22-26 hours, all humans will probably have the cultural day/night line up with the local physical. Which wouldn’t be the same as “shiptime”)
For worlds with really slow/fast rotations their may be a “planetary shift work cycle” that ignores physical conditions (lots of bright artificial lighting and blackout curtains)

Don't have my copy of V&V handy to check, but ISTR Vland being 30-some hours... they have a cultural siesta time at geophyiscal noon.

I can also attest that, in lack of exterior cues, circadian rhythms get odd.. It's a big problem in Alaska near the solstices.

Back