• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Alien: Lorgsans

WizWom

SOC-6
Lorgsan.png So, a long time ago, I came up with this idea for a silicon based life form, with an organic semiconductor brain and pure metal insulated wires as nerves. The idea of eyes in the palms and trifold symmetry with a three-lobed brain basically under the shoulder bones and a single mouth in the center were all part of my original concept. For giggles I made their bones Titanium (so strong but brittle) and their skin scaled in opalescent material (I was thinking mother of pearl, but with Opal light flashes)
So, when 2309 Dotxic A6B69CC-E Fl Tu (Bases: N S) Showed as I was generating my Foreven Sector, I saw a good chance... I put it as the homeworld of the Lorgsans.
I had figured an atmosphere like Titan, Nitrogen but with Freon (R-22 CH2F2) and maybe some dilute nitric acid giving a small amount of free fluorine.
I didn't think there would ever be enough free fluorine, so I posited they catalytically break down liquid freons to get free fluorine for reactions.

So, I figured I'd try to work out the various things about the race for Traveller5.
First, I didn't generate a stellar code, so I suppose I ought to now... G0V with a far secondary M7V at orbit 14
I generate it as having 2 gas giants and no asteroid belts.
I decide to put Dotxic as a Satellite of a size N ice giant outside the normal human habitable zone (+1), at orbit 4.
The second gas giant is size T at orbit 0 around the MV
7 other planets are in the system, 4 around the G:
Orbit 0 Storm Y9C0000-0
Orbit 1 Inferno Y7B0000-0
Orbit 6 Rad Y547000-0
Orbit 11 Rad Y79A000-0
And 3 around the M:
Orbit 2 Ice H8B8220-E
Orbit 5 Ice Y5A4000-0
Orbit 9 Big HEB7322-E
If anyone ever visits, I can generate the Moons appropriately, I just need to have a moon orbit for Dotxic.
Ix{+4} Ex(96B-1) Cx[796F]
With TL-14 and a Homeworld, I decided the base is a minor power Naval Base, and that the Lorgsans have carved a small niche for themselves on the Zhodani frontier. Zhodani (or really, almost all) psionics cannot touch their minds at all.

For a Native Terrain, I get 0, Clear, flat. I already decided they had legs, and a flux gives me Amphib, meaning they go under-fluid at will.
Ecological Niche is Omnivore-Gatherer
Characteristics are Str 2D Dex 2D End 2D Int 2D Edu 2D Cha 2D
I did not envision the Lorgsans as having a caste system.
They have three genders, FAM, but all three are present on each individual. Self-fertilization does not work properly.
Life stage lengths are
Stage: Years
0 Infant: 2
1 Child: 12
2 teen: 0 (sexual and mental maturity matches)
3 Youth: 24
4 Adult: 12
5 Peak: 8
6 Mid-life:8
7 Senior: 12
8 Elder: 8
9 Retirement: 8
Giving a 90 year life span.
They have Vision (22 GBP), Hearing (14 F4 S5 V5 R3), Smell (10 S2), touch (26 S1); scent is LOR-
Body Structure codes as N+TB+S-AAL-ALL-N
They have a bony structure with fine scales, and (trilaterally symmetric) hands.
They have no special based on gender or cast; their normal voice is clicks and pops; these are firm in volume.
They are human sized, 72 kl, but distributed differently.
Body Form profile is 3. A Lorgsan is a total of about 95 cm high; and something like 30 cm wide and deep, with significantly heftier limbs than a human.

Now on to a feature not provided. Lorgsans have silicon brains and are, essentially, living organic computers. They can interface with each other, sharing anything they have sensed or thought. When multiple Lorgsans interface in a ring, they call it a council, and each member presents their data about a subject, thoughts about it, and they verify each other's data plausibility. They then decide in council what the most reasonable course is unanimously. It is possible to council the entire race, but bandwidth limits practical councils to about 15 individuals. Longer councils would have to provide for several hours of linking.
Councilling takes time based on the square of the individuals involved. Councilling after TL 7 can include computer networks, but incurs a time multiplier below TL10 of 10^(10-TL). For this reason, generally Lorgsans handle things with hierarchical councils.

This week's episode of PBS' Spacetime discusses the likelyhood of silicon based life...

given that episode's information, it's unlikely to be digital brains, tho' CT has one digital brain life form (see Signal GK), and it is vital to the TTNE setting..

Back