• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Any Sword-and-Planet Cepheus titles available?

Nightwind1

SOC-12
I'm putting together a Cepheus-based sword-and-planet game for eventual publication.

Think John Carter of Mars, REH's Almuric, Leigh Brackett's Eric John Stark, Lin Carter's Jandar of Callisto, etc.

Has anyone already done anything like this? If so, where can I find it, please? Also, I may eventually be looking for some input on this, possibly including creatures, weird alien devices, etc. Additionally, any ideas on "pulpifying" the CE rules to make them more over-the-top and less deadly?

I'm thinking of starting with a base of Sword of Cepheus, with some elements pulled in from Rider, along with a mish-mash of other elements.

Any feedback would be welcome.

I'm putting together a Cepheus-based sword-and-planet game for eventual publication.

Think John Carter of Mars, REH's Almuric, Leigh Brackett's Eric John Stark, Lin Carter's Jandar of Callisto, etc.

Has anyone already done anything like this? If so, where can I find it, please? Also, I may eventually be looking for some input on this, possibly including creatures, weird alien devices, etc. Additionally, any ideas on "pulpifying" the CE rules to make them more over-the-top and less deadly?

I'm thinking of starting with a base of Sword of Cepheus, with some elements pulled in from Rider, along with a mish-mash of other elements.

Any feedback would be welcome.

You could start here:

Blades of Tyri: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/297943/blades-of-tyri
Thrill of the Thirties! 2D6 Adventure in the Pulp Era: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en...of-the-thirties-2d6-adventure-in-the-pulp-era

You can find the John Carter of Mars stories on Project Gutenberg, along with some Eric John Stark stories by Leigh Brackett. For Robert E. Howard's Almuric, that can be found on Project Gutenberg Australia here:

Based on your examples, it looks like you are going to combine swords with firearms of some type. Is this correct? If so, I have a fair number of weapons that you could use for artwork for your game.

You can find the John Carter of Mars stories on Project Gutenberg, along with some Eric John Stark stories by Leigh Brackett. For Robert E. Howard's Almuric, that can be found on Project Gutenberg Australia here:

Based on your examples, it looks like you are going to combine swords with firearms of some type. Is this correct? If so, I have a fair number of weapons that you could use for artwork for your game.
Yes, it'll be an original setting, but heavily inspired by Burroughs and Brackett.

I'm trying to come up with a passible reason why swords are the weapon of choice over guns. I'm thinking that the ray guns are powerful, but slow to recharge after each shot, or possibly powered by some rare crystal, making each shot veeerrry expensive.

In Howard's Almuric, the guns are single-shot weapons. Based on their limited use, the powder used by them was evidently fairy scarce, and was found naturally, not fabricated like black powder.

Their weapons consist of swords, daggers, spears, and a firearm something like a carbine—a single-shot, breech-loading weapon of no great range. The combustible material is not powder, as we know it. Its counterpart is not found on Earth. It possesses both percussion and explosive qualities. The bullet is of a substance much like lead. These weapons were used mainly in war with men; for hunting, bows and arrows were most often used.

Breechloaders without cartridge cases are very difficult to get a good gas seal with, so I suspect that they would actually be muzzle-loaders, based on the reading of the novels. One volley and then at them with the bayonet was a common tactic.

*THIS*

And that of course is presuming that they have even conceived of the innovation of the "bayonet", which was (at least according to some possibly anecdotal accounts) an "accidental" discovery by French foot-soldiers who rammed their knives down their barrels in desperation when they were overrun by enemy horse without a pike block to defend them. And those were not even socket-bayonets. Bayonets were not primarily in use in European warfare after the initial introduction of black-powder small-arms for almost 150-200 years.

It is very easy to see how using one-shot muzzle-loaders would leave the sword (and other blade weapons) as major weapons in warfare, as this is how it was historically for quite some time. Once the enemy closed to a distance shorter than your-reload time, you resorted to other means of self-defense.

(Of course, "clubbing" your musket was always an option . . .) :)

Last edited:
*THIS*

And that of course is presuming that they have even conceived of the innovation of the "bayonet", which was (at least according to some possibly anecdotal accounts) an "accidental" discovery by French foot-soldiers who rammed their knives down their barrels in desperation when they were overrun by enemy horse without a pike block to defend them. And those were not even socket-bayonets. Bayonets were not primarily in use in European warfare after the initial introduction of black-powder small-arms for almost 150-200 years.

It is very easy to see how using one-shot muzzle-loaders would leave the sword (and other blade weapons) as major weapons in warfare, as this is how it was historically for quite some time. Once the enemy closed to a distance shorter than your-reload time, you resorted to other means of self-defense.

(Of course, "clubbing" your musket was always an option . . .) :)
If you read Almuric, the main character uses a clubbed musket quite a bit. My reference to firing a volley and then at them with the bayonet was referring to European warfare from about 1690 to 1815. There is not mention of bayonets in Almuric. It basically is swords with the odd firearm added.

It is very easy to see how using one-shot muzzle-loaders would leave the sword (and other blade weapons) as major weapons in warfare, as this is how it was historically for quite some time.
One point to clarify is that for a LOT of fighting men in history, the "sword" was rarely the PRIMARY weapon used for killing opponents on the battlefield. Yes, yes, yes ... Gladius Hispania+Roman Legions ... for a while the sword WAS something of a primary infantry fighting weapon, but that's more of an exception than the rule. In our modern times, we've romanticized the SWORD so much as to have this peculiar idea that it was the Best Main Killing Weapon of all time in all fighting eras.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. :unsure:

As it turns out, the SPEAR is the main battlefield melee weapon for the majority of world history, with the bow/crossbow being the main battlefield ranged weapon for the majority of world history.

The sword, was usually a BACKUP weapon(!) ... even in the age of knights and chivalry.

Additionally, swords are really good against opponents who lack body ARMOR ... but against armored opponents, swords are actually NOT your best option. For "stabbing into gaps and weak points" you're actually better off with a dagger (which is easier to control the point on), which is why half-swording is a technique to use against armored opponents.

Against ARMORED opponents, you're better off going with blunt weapons (maces, hammers, etc.) which will transfer the shock force of impact THROUGH the armor and into the flesh and (skeletal) structure of your target, potentially breaking bones, in addition to bashing up the armor (which if it's rigid metal can ruin the fit and articulation, reducing freedom of movement, which is BAD™).

So swords are good against "soft" (fleshy) targets, but not so good against armor (particularly metal armors like mail, brigandine and plate).

On top of all of that, there's the fact that human bodies are surprisingly capable of surviving lacerations (even amputations!) caused by sword strikes. Getting cut with a sword can be damaging, but it probably won't kill you (aside from the more obvious devastatingly damaging cuts, of course). Piercing damage though, will often times be more disabling and ultimately lethal. Poke a hole in someone and they're more likely to die from that hole put into them than if you slashed them for the same amount of "damage" (in the RPG sense).

Anyone who would like to know more about the history of weapons in warfare, I'll refer you to "Captain Context" Matt Easton and his scholagladiatoria youtube channel, where he talks about all kinds of weapons and how they were used historically. ⚔️

I tend to think it's identifying what weapons (and armour) were actually used on the battlefield, and then see if the then participants wrote down why.

Lances looked like they were on the way out by the nineteenth century, and then were readopted.

I’ve submitted an article similar to what you are looking for, to the guys over at the Cepheus Journal called ‘Science Fiction in Rider’. Hopefully it will be included in the next issue #016, not quite Sword and Planets but may have some inspiration for you where the Old West meets sci-fi!

If you make the firearms matchlocks, there would be plenty of reason for swords as well. In damp or rainy weather, matchlocks were pretty much useless, as the match would not stay lit. Then swords and pikes come into play.

If you make the firearms matchlocks, there would be plenty of reason for swords as well. In damp or rainy weather, matchlocks were pretty much useless, as the match would not stay lit. Then swords and pikes come into play.

That actually has not been my experience with matchlocks doing reenacting (unless we are talking about poorly made slowmatch, in which case the match going out has little to do with weather). If the slowmatch itself gets damp, then yes that is a problem, but simple damp weather conditions or light rain are not much of a problem for good slowmatch as long as you don't let it get damp or wet while it is in storage.

In general the firelocks have more of a problem with dampness and light rain because condensation forms on the frizzen (or rain droplets are caught on it) and douse the spark. In a mixed unit I can often fire my matchlock fine when the firelocks are having problems.

That actually has not been my experience with matchlocks doing reenacting (unless we are talking about poorly made slowmatch, in which case the match going out has little to do with weather). If the slowmatch itself gets damp, then yes that is a problem, but simple damp weather conditions or light rain are not much of a problem for good slowmatch as long as you don't let it get damp or wet while it is in storage.

In general the firelocks have more of a problem with dampness and light rain because condensation forms on the frizzen (or rain droplets are caught on it) and douse the spark. In a mixed unit I can often fire my matchlock fine when the firelocks are having problems.
I am thinking more about the slow match that was used in the 16th century. And a sample matchlock.
Matchlock Musket.png

I am thinking more about the slow match that was used in the 16th century. And a sample matchlock.
View attachment 4214

Yes, that matchlock musket is similar to the ones I fire (mine is more of a "fish-butt"). But you may be right about the average quality of the slowmatch that was actually produced historically in the 16th-17th Century. Ours may be much better quality today.

Last edited:
Back