• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: Book2 and High intensity missile fire.

infojunky

SOC-14 1K
Peer of the Realm
Ok, in Book5 1st edition there is an option of High Intensity Missile fire. Which assumes that you fire all your missiles in one salvo.

Under Book2 Missile Launchers have 3 shots per, thinking of allowing the same, related the double fire computer program.

Note the reloading rules apply here as well, as reloading a single launcher requires a full turn by the gunner.

I have worked this out for my hybrid CT/HG system. You may find this of interest.

The first thing you have to work out is the size of the bay missiles, and what a battery shot of them means.

I worked out from both the 15cm width of the turret missile compared to 25cm of the bay missile and the relative HG battery fire that 1 bay missile is equivalent to 15 standard missiles, 750kg in missile supplement terms.

For a dirty quick build, take a high end turret missile from the missile supplement including smart, triple the smart cost to cover some armor and ECCM and PD decoys to give them greater survivability, and otherwise multiply the price x15. Warhead strength would be 15x1d6 or 15 throws 1d6.

My advanced version basically involves building a 50-ton small craft or 750-ton boat, adding in warhead costs, allowing for higher G then 6 on a sliding TL, significant fuel rate, then dividing by 1000. I use the Striker nukes for 15cm and 25cm shots, seems more in reason then the million credit plus ones.

This means that a 100-ton shot is 2 missiles each and a 50-ton shot is 1 missile. Both bays therefore have a 50 shot limit.

Of course one could have the 50-ton fire 2 missiles for a full battery shot, or 100 single shots from a 100-ton bay. Field reload of bays should be possible, but laborious and something normally done after the battle.

I grew up on Imperium, so mass dumping those missiles were always something I wanted, chafing at the single missile per launcher/turn limit.

Of course allowing that means serious imbalance in favor of missiles. So I came up with limits and counters. The lasers and energy weapons can fire a free PD round of fire in addition to main targets if powered (just like CT), and repulsor fire applies to ALL missiles coming from a single ship.

Sandcasters start looming very large if multiple missile swarms are allowed.

Field reload of bays should be possible, but laborious and something normally done after the battle.
Wouldn't you just automate this? It's not quite the same as having an array of launch cells/bays just ripple-fire their loads, in a single salvo of horrible effect, but if there's magazine space and reloading mechanisms, then a gunner could just go through the process of having those things fire off each [insert preferred time period]. Thinks automated torpedo loading (15 min these days?).

Wouldn't you just automate this? It's not quite the same as having an array of launch cells/bays just ripple-fire their loads, in a single salvo of horrible effect, but if there's magazine space and reloading mechanisms, then a gunner could just go through the process of having those things fire off each [insert preferred time period]. Thinks automated torpedo loading (15 min these days?).
Some of the ships have magazines specced next to missile bays so certainly some designers would intend that. I’m envisioning something more like Aegis missile cells. For turrets there is a reload time specced in the supplement. It would make sense to build robots to automate that process.

My design assumption would be that if you are stacking missiles in your hull anyway it would be far more functional to make them firing missile bays.

In book 2 there is an ECM program:

View attachment 3666
Which gets overridden with paying for the smart feature in the missile supplement. Arguable low value if you are firing a 30 missile battery shot, but virtually guaranteed on bay missiles.

I tend to use the term civilian missiles for the turrets and military for the bay missiles.

Then you can consider adapting the Striker point defence rules to anti-missile any that get to within a few km...
Don’t forget the negative speed modifiers to hit, on average those kinetics/HEAT plasmas are coming in at well above hyper velocity. I would adjust them since you know where they ‘want’ to go as opposed to some plane/grav tank meandering about, but at 150km per second there is not much margin for error.

This is Book 2.
Bay missiles are Book 5 and I am providing how to handle them in both Book 2 and Book 5, well within the OP parameters. I am also providing justification for the HG rules to hit with the Book2/supplement combination.

The missile supplement is oriented to LBB2, including miniatures movement speed and range.

You may not be interested or find it distasteful for your table, others can read and decide for themselves.

Last edited:
Back