• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Demonstrations of Traveller Activities?

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
I'm wondering if anyone (or a website or a page in a book) has demonstrations of Traveller activities?

I'm talking about things like:

Landing or Docking a ship
An encounter on a city street
A firefight out in public
A fight inside a Starship
Exploration of an ancient ruin
Dealing with an Alien creature

And any others. Just to have examples of what to do in those situations Maybe like a 'Players Guide To...' I need a really good example of combat. But even just when to roll for a Random Encounter vs. having a Planned Encounter. I mean, we've had checklists of Starship Operations in some versions. How about a checklist of what to do when landed on a World?

Could we build one on CotI?

Are you looking for small transcripts of play sessions? Charts?

You mention firefights. Those tend to be very mechanical (with all the DMs flying around, and folks peaking around corners "I'm so small there's NO WAY they can see me, but I will have perfect vision of all their movements" kind of thing).

But then you mention exploring a ruin, and that can be an entire gaming session.

Are you looking for small transcripts of play sessions? Charts?
Maybe some of each.

I was trying to read "Book 0 Introduction to Traveller" on the Classic Traveller CD and it is so blurry. It's OCR'd so you can copy and paste, but even that is horrible. You can only read about every 5th word. But there's an example of play that I'd like to read and it's not easy.

So I'm wondering if we could make one. Or something similar. Or get a better scan than the one on the CD.

How about i run a "pbp" version of death station?

I can post a link to a google doc and anyone who wants to join in with a character can edit the page with their input.

A sample session...

setting the scene - the patron
assembling the team - introducing characters
equipment - buy stuff
travel to the station - I would include a jump
how to spend the week in jump - training, leisure activities a bit more meet the team
finding the station - a bit more ship stuff.
how to get on board
assessing the situation/searching the station
combat
gaining computer access under pressure...

My Book 0 seems to be an ok copy, I didn't have any problems reading it. My OCR wasn't that' dreadful either.

Scene 1, Interior, night
TOM (the referee) and his friends DICK, HARRY, and GLORIA (the players)
are gathered in Tom's living room, seated in comfortable chairs. Tom has set up a card table, upon which he has his notes, maps, Traveller books, dice, and other para- phernalia. Dick, Harry (a newcomer),and Gloria have scratch pads and various sheets of paper with their characters' UPPs and their individual and collective possessions noted upon them. During the last session, the group finished a job, werepaid, spent the money, and are now seeking further employment on the planet Palnu.
Dick:
So we're on Palnu looking for a job. Any offers?
Tom:
Thinks: This is a good chance to try qut one of thm pre-rolled encountem. I was too busy to get much together
for this &.
Yeah, there is. Just a minute.
(He refers t o 76 Patrons for a few moments.)
' Well. . .not exactly a jab offer. This one's kind of inter-
esting. (He reads from 76 Patrons, page 10.) "While resting in a hotel between jobs, the players are approached by a young lady in flowing robes who identifies herself as the daughter of a local noble. Her brother, she says, has been kidnapped by a local criminal organization. He was once a member of that organization, but his conscience got the better of him and he contacted the Imperials, offering t o turn crown's evidence. He is now being held in a mountain villa, where they plan to torture him to determine how much he revealed. The Imperial authorities think he is dead and will not help.
She offers Cr30,OOO for the rescue of her brother and the safe transport of both of them off planet. She produces a map of the villa, scrawled on a napkin.
At this point, two uniformed police and a third man in civilian clothes approach, taking the girl prisoner. The civilian identifies himself as a doctor at a local mental hospital, says the girl is a patient and apologizes for any

(That's a literal paste from my copy)

Also, someone just posted some transcripts of their youtube sessions (likely without the inner dialog). That may be useful.

My Book 0 seems to be an ok copy, I didn't have any problems reading it. My OCR wasn't that' dreadful either.
This is mine Copy'd and Paste'd:

kana 1. lntaria. nlht
TOM lth. rslawl ad6 1%l r#rnd%R ICK. HAIIRY. a d G LORIA llhr rdwt-1
.re ga?mwn n Tm'r Llvlng rwm. s~ulsIlII cornlortulrlr shrln Tom hasct upa
mrd tllc. up*mlrh hc ha* his now, mm.T tarati~rh k*,d im. allrl orher prr
prrrnolla. Oak. 'Harry I. nmcomrl. and Gloria haw lcrsrch pM% rhd vsrlmr
~hmlr 01 mmr with thr~r chnaclon' UPP, ond Iholr ~ndonrlual md colloclkvc
pmwrims noad urn oham. Duwq Ihe lar serrlm. the grmo tlnlrhed s job. wre
m~d.,prml 1hm0nry,andaron0*rplblngfunlher mploym=nu el thr pl4nel hlnu.
It's like another language.

One thing I can offer is my campaign's web site.
On the "Campaign history" page, you can link to an after action report for every game (along with several descriptive pages, especially at the start)

These reports are created by making a "he did", "She did", "they did" story of what was done in each session.
So, the activities, be they "combat" or interacting with NPCs to get something or whatever are included.

The over-all URL for my site is www.usedstarships.com

Here is an example, where I described the landing a pilot made:

After everything was ready and they were set to go, Emkir threw the switches and fed power to the cutter's systems while he guided the craft out of the ship and into their rented bay. Then, after a warning to button up the ship and for everyone to get into an 'atmosphere-secure' spaces or vacc suits, the bay was depressurized and the hatch opened to space. Upthrusting, Emkir was greeted by port control, giving him his out-bound flight data. Recognizing he wasn't dropping to the downport, they didn't offer him a flight beacon. After Emkir used the SMS thrusters to get clear of the bay and station, the hatch closed and the bay repressurized.

Giving his systems time to acquire the environment around him, Emkir thrust out over the planet while he rolled the craft so "looking up" for him was also "looking down" at the world's surface. After he had the needed readings, Emkir locked his nav-controls onto a point near the south-west crescent of the city, close enough to where the mercenary's had their hall. Emkir then began to fire his retro-burn causing them and the craft to fall downward toward the world's surface. They fell nearly halfway down before their velocity seriously started to edge up enough to be a concern. Expecting and managing that, Emkir rolled the craft belly-down and fed power to the cutter's grav-systems.

Now, massaging the speed, angle and other factors of their descent, Emkir half-watched the other instruments while tracking his course to the point indicated on his nav-beacon. The drop to the world's surface remained a negotiation between the space thrust and control systems and the grav-modules. Then, finally they were fully into what passed for an atmospheric envelope over a world with a trace atmo. Emkir then vectored for a "low level" cruising altitude while pushing power to the grav-systems, and turned off all other thrusters and engines. They were now floating and Emkir continued to close on, and lower down to, the point he'd marked from orbit. When he got close enough, Emkir also switched off the nav-beacon while adjusting their point of landing visually.

Back