• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Does Classic Traveller need an update?

Does Classic Traveller need an update?

• Total voters
And yet 1 skill point buys them - should there be a points cost difference?

Some skills cost more than others to buy with your "skill points" (I don't want to reinvent GURPS here :))

And yet 1 skill point buys them - should there be a points cost difference?

Some skills cost more than others to buy with your "skill points" (I don't want to reinvent GURPS here :))
In CT, you don't buy skills at all, that's kinda the thing. You are assigned skills. Your career may lead you to the point where you get Recruiting-3 (basically useless outside of a mercenary campaign) or Combat Rifleman-3.

I go broad. Forward Observer becomes recon, but so does hunting. Bribery and Recruiting becomes Persuade, Forgery becomes Deception. Investigation is not just LE but becomes the primary spy and science knowledge skill. At least in my CT version.

I'm in the broad camp as well, and have dispensed with any cascade skills in my CT games: e.g., "Blade" is all melee weapons, "Gun Combat" is all shooting weapons, etc. Couple that change with increased skill rolls/term (3 or 4, depending on the tone I want), and I can get closer to the pulp speculative fiction characters in S1 & S4. Except for Kimball Kinnison: that begs for a whole different system.

Back