• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

DOWNBELOW -- 'SOCIAL WEEK'

I have on my dress greens, freshly laundered and pressed with razor sharp creases. Four decorations are polished and dazzling on my chest. Woven blue rope attached to my left shoulder, with three small silver stars in precise alignment. Support Service Detachment black beret sits at a jaunty angle. Black shoes spit shined until they gleam. I am walking into the zone of our Medical District called Teaague's Gathering, cleared to continue my Social Week.

Now, do not misunderstand. This is not rape, nor anything like that.

We were fortunate back then, at the climax of the war, that our antimissile defenses operated beyond expectation. Our ranks were swelled by the rescue of civilians from the surface, many of them women. In the very early years after our retreat from the surface, many couples sought solace in sex. Very limited resources were available for birth control. Unfortunately, a lot of them had to endure tragic consequences when their children were either not viable or suffered various infirmities.

Those of us in the military services are usuallly separated from senior researchers and engineers attached to us, with infrequent contact at most. One of these scientists was the program director of a TekArchives restoration project for advanced medical scanning and imaging systems. She was touring the surface facilities when war erupted.

With her oversight, a massive effort was undertaken to reconfigure currently available medical scanners with the addition of existing laboratory stocks. It was conjectured that they could be used as an aid to prevent inbreeding and resulting reinforcement of recessive genes, along with detecting DNA damage.

Of course, in a war situation there are limited resources for non essential purposes. Without access to supplies from the surface, we were forced to rely on prepositioned caches placed during the construction of the tunnel networks. One also wondered if those in senior ranks would use their authority to gain priority in producing children regardless of genetic quality.

Thus it was a shock to all when this scientist presented her plan to the senior enlisted personnel in a mass meeting. Besides the scanners, she proposed the formation of a Procreation Lottery. No doubt a proposal such as this would have been met with derision at the least if made known before the war, but things were different now.

It was probably also her idea to bypass the officers and remaining civilian leadership, making mass oversight a part of this unconventional program. Difficult to manipulate data behind the scenes when everyone has an intimate knowledge of the procedures and ultimate purpose.

To assure our species' survival, women are expected to become pregnant at intervals, variable but historically at the very least every five years. Extensive physical examinations are given to women to ensure they are capable of carrying a child to term. Men are examined for general health and to ensure that they are capable of physical performance. Those who pass this criteria receive a scan. With that data available, lists of genetically compatible couples are compiled and submitted to the Teaague Procreation Lottery.

Those personnel who have suffered genetic damage by radiation, exposure to pathogens or chemicals undergo sterilization and become Green Cross counselors, available for recreational sex when not on combat duty. Extreme cases usually transfer to the 'Orange Team' suicide squads. Can you blame them?

There are no prohibitions against being married. A married woman may submit her own requests for whom will be the father of her next child, by custom doing so after having a child by her current husband. Her choices are granted, subject only to a medical veto.

There still exist the classic reasons for sex, that is, for consummation of romance or because of raw animal attraction. There is also one undeniable draw, that of being able to produce healthy children. Being virile and genetically fit proved to be an almost irresistable combination for some women, and so the custom of choice came about rather quickly. Those men selected by this criteria were not known to complain about it.

One might think we were breeding like rabbits in any available space. It did not happen, for MILGOV carefully balanced resources and kept meticulous records. As a result, we developed some pretty convoluted relationship trees. We usually called someone 'cousin' when seeing them off duty.

More than likely the relationship will be closer than that. Data is on file if anyone wants to trace their ancestry and descendants, but almost no one does so. It did not matter to us, because we draw strength from our familial interweaving. Never underestimate the risks a man or woman will take to protect our extended family.

To this day, we continue to perform the modified dating rituals. Besides honoring Director Teaague, who never had children of her own, we do so out of cultural inertia and for morale. It serves to remind us all of happier times and different places. It also reduced mental stress and physical frustration on everyone involved. Women did not have to worry about their 'reputation.' Men, including those not considered handsome or lacking in social skills, were guaranteed sex without having to pretend they were in love.

I passed by a gathering spot and heard music. This one had pre-spaceflight 'classical' recordings, and is usually occupied by one or the other partners nearing the end of their reproductive activities. I went in there once, stayed for one beer, and thought they were very boring. Lots of talk, very little action.

Before I could walk past a medcheck station's scanner, I could already hear noise from the next 'storefront.' Flickering holograms are combined with recordings of radiation counters and stellar background noise mixed with video of nebula flare activity. This unpleasant scene covered an area nearly a fullblock wide. For some obscure reason, probably only known to MILGOV, this area has been designated to be the one used by those active on their first Social Week.

I never did make it to this area, that first time. In fact, I was intercepted on the street before I made it this far. I looked at my watch, saw that I still had a quite a few minutes before my presence was required at my own assigned location. I decided to stop in for a moment and look around. Passing another instant medcheck station, I at last reached the entrance.

Strange lights on the walls and ceiling caused colors to glow on clothing people wore. Almost everyone carried small medinjectors, a model designed to make a nasal injection. I wondered what they were filled with, then decided I didn't want to know.

A few faces looked toward me, then turned away. Evidently I was too old to make an impression on them. Just past the bar area I could recognize a Private who is assigned to me in miltek maintenance sitting in a chair, staring up at a flatscreen display. Who wants to look at archive footage of nebula flare strikes?

No one paid attention to me as I went to the bar. I sat so close to the Private that I could have easily greeted him, but did not. With a wave to attract the bartender's attention, I ordered a beer. I guess there are not a lot of beer drinkers here, since the glass I received was well over half foam. I left it sitting on the counter. Oh, well...

I saw a woman approach, then pass me in a powered wheelchair. She was apparently not looking for me, which made me grateful for a second, but then I looked again. She was in full dress uniform, with the same blue rope that I have attached to mine. Certainly unusual, since women usually wore civilian garb exclusively during Social Week. Sometimes provocative, occasionally recycle classic. Those few who wore military attire would wear a work duty uniform.

Wait, not exactly. Her blue rope is larger, a double braid, and has a gold bar attached, a sign that she has the highest possible physical and genetic rating. Having never given birth to a child with genetic abnormalities, she has an effectively unlimited childbearing license. How rare is that in a war environment?

I found the physical rating hard to believe, because this woman was a mess! She had been burned on the right side of her face, with one eye almost closed by scar tissue. What hair she possessed was in a severe crewcut. Her right arm ended in a stump just above the wrist. Her left leg looked normal, the other somewhat shriveled.

"Good evening, Private."

He looked over at her, with shock registering on his features for only a moment.

"I know that this is your first Social Week. I hope my appearance is not startling."

"Ummm..."

"I know that you are not a virgin, but I doubt that you have had a sexual encounter with an experienced and voracious woman. I am here to correct that deficiency."

The Private said nothing, only triggering his nasal medinjector.

"I hope you have your issued medinjector with you, it will be needed. Come with me."

A flick of the wrist sent the wheelchair into motion. The Private rose and followed her, with an unreadable expression evident. No doubt he will find out the truth reflected in that phrase attributed to Benjaamin Fraanklin, that "all cats are gray at night."

I smiled to myself and followed at a discreet distance as they left.

PART 2

Music changed again, wafting out from the double door entrance as I approached my designated contact area. Johnny Maathis, singing "Chances Are." As for me, I felt the music here was most appropriate to this situation. Impossible to beat that recycle style that was produced for about twenty years, fading away just before the war began, for it encourages quiet conversation and close contact.

This large area is filled with couples. Some dancing slowly while standing close together with arms intertwined, others at tables. Engaging in small talk, holding hands or just looking into each other's eyes. An occasional pair would meet, greet each other and immediately leave the room hand in hand. Sure it is a meeting place for what will lead to a sexual encounter, yet overlaid with a veneer of romance. As I said, cultural inertia.

I sat down at the bar and looked both ways. Other men were there, nursing beers while waiting for their unknown temporary companions to appear. I ordered a beer for myself, watching as it was poured professionally. I picked it up, noting that the glass had a minimum of foam. I took a sip and immediately appreciated the skill of the unknown brewmaster. I enjoyed another drink, set the glass down and listened to the music for a minute. I was just about to pick up the glass again when I heard a soft voice next to me.

"Care to buy a lady a drink?"

I turned to see a blonde standing next to me. She has on a trenchcoat that is unbuttoned, with folds of fabric lying a considerable distance away from her form. On first view her assets are, let us say, most impressive. Okay, forget about the beer.

Overwhelmed by her presence, I did not react for a few seconds, then I snapped out of my malaise. I quickly stood up and helped her remove her coat. Indeed, her body is voluptuous with a classic hourglass shape. It would not surprise me if her weight was close to mine, for she was almost as tall as me. I draped it over my arm so it covered me in front. No need to embarrass myself so early in this encounter.

"Is a maartini acceptable?"

"Make it bourbon on the rocks. I can only have one, so let's make it worthwhile."

I led her to a small table and helped her sit down. Moments after I had seated myself, the bartender brought us two glasses filled with a mixture of dark amber and ice. I placed a hand around my glass, trying to calm down from the feel of incredibly firm, toned and smooth flesh. More than a few extra kilos for sure, but not a gram of it is flab.

"I am Staff Sergeant -"

"I know your name, rank and current assignment. Here, in this place and time, none of that matters. I requested you specifically."

She glanced at my blue braid for a moment before looking away. I guess that having fifteen certified children enhances my status among the ladies.

"I appreciate that."

She sat demurely, sipping at her drink and staring into her glass. I spent time listening to the music, "Unforgettable" by Nat Kiing Cole. Another minute or two passed, with me wondering what would be a good conversation starter and trying not to stare at her incredible cleavage, barely concealed within a wrapper of translucent white and lace. I saw her making occasional eye movements upward as she sipped. I took another drink while things sorted themselves out in the back of my mind.

"Is that a wedding dress?"

She paused, set her drink down and covered her mouth with her hand. Was she blushing? I am definitely not a smooth talker, but how did I offend her so easily?

She looked down at the table as she spoke.

"Yes. I was taught that according to custom, a good girl waits until she is married before sleeping with a man. What else would an almost bride be wearing?"

She blushed again and glanced about nervously, as if afraid to look me in the eyes.

Now that statement made me pay attention! I drank the rest of my bourbon in one long swallow and ordered another. For lack of a worthwhile answer, I remained silent as she seemed to calm down. Again she sat there, sipping at her drink and staring into her glass. I looked into her face, watching eyes continue to flicker up and down, until the bartender brought another filled tumbler.

"Of course, once I am married, my husband will find out that I am a bad girl."

She blushed again, then looked up, freezing me in place with hazel eyes.

"I hope you like bad girls."

My features formed a small smile and I produced a gallant reflex as I finally realized she was looking towards my concealed crotch in short glances.

I could see a ring on her right hand, in a place where it is a symbol of being widowed. I wondered if that was her reason for engaging in individual selection during Social Week. Is she trying to find a replacement husband? At least this might be a worthwhile subject for conversation. Think, man! Say anything, just to hear that soft, slightly husky voice with an exotic accent again.

"Do you wear your ring to honor your husband?"

She sipped her drink again, set it down slowly.

"Please hand me my coat."

I quickly stood up and retrieved it from where it lay draped over an empty chair. She reached forward, deftly inserted her hand into a pocket and extracted a small box. Placing it on the table near me, she kept her left hand lying nearby.

"My marital status is not important. Open the box."

I reached for it, surprisingly without my hands shaking. I opened it to reveal a classic engagement ring, with a diamond in a square shape prominently displayed. Twists of silver hold it and form a loop for her finger. I think a 'Princess Cut' is what it is called.

"You know the words. You do not need to kneel, just ask."

I turned the box so the ring was in her field of vision. Barely able to do so from excitement, I whispered.

"Will you marry me?"

"Yes."

I pulled the ring out of its padded enclosure and slipped it on her finger. She sighed, admiring the ring as it sparkled in the dim spotlight over our table. She smiled at me and passed hands over her ample chest. A tremor went through her body as she sighed again.

Looking me right in the eyes, she finished her bourbon, set the glass down quickly. Was there a hint of unsteadiness in her as she licked her lips?

"I am going to prepare now. Don't make me wait too long, my husband."

She stood, put a finger to my lips, and gently pushed me back into my seat. Another box and a key came from the same pocket, and she placed them on the table in front of me.

"When we meet again, you can put the wedding ring on me. Then you can remove my dress, and anything else you like, but I will keep my veil on."

She closed her eyes and for five seconds her entire body trembled. She exhaled and sighed.

"I think I am going to be a very bad girl tonight."

She blew me a kiss and walked away, trenchcoat in hand. Captivated, I stared at a vision in lace until she was out of sight. I made an effort to calm myself and take another drink, not an easy thing to do while the Flaamingos sing "I Only Have Eyes For You."

It took me a few minutes to calm down and be able to leave without everyone noticing my heightened state of anticipation. After finishing my bourbon, I reached into the inside pocket of my dress jacket, extracting a medinjector. Already loaded with a formula that would enhance duration and performance, I stared at it for over a minute, then left it on the table. I think I will be just fine without it tonight.

Making sure the box and key are in hand, I stood and slowly walked toward the doors. Filled with visions of lace and already hearing vocal responses, I did not notice Fraank Siinatra singing "The Best Is Yet To Come" playing in the background.

Back