• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

You Signed Up for This (Fanfic from Boughene PbP ATU)

Do clones have souls? Do multiple concurent instances of a personality wafer each have their own soul, or does the original one get distributed somehow?
Depends on what you mean by "souls" at that point. :unsure:
Perhaps one of the better touchstones for the (deeper) philosophical and theological questions you're asking can (ironically) be found ... of all places ... in The Five Doctors.

"A man is the sum of his memories, you know, a Time Lord even moreso."

"I have to find- to find ..."
"To find what?"
"My other selves ..."

3. Technical issues: The Olga Nesson personality was fabricated by loading the generic Female Technician personality into the empty Melissa Ketonic clone host (which had no underlying host personality that could re-emerge), adding Skill Wafers as needed, then recording the resulting composite and re-installing it into the host body. The host body is a force-grown clone, so will age faster than expected. The artificial personality is effectively the body's new host personality and will not fade over time. It may develop over time, but the conditioned avoidance of introspection would tend to limit this
Which wouldn't work well if there's a copy of Melissa underneath the Olga personality... the implanted personality would fade too quickly.

As a stand-alone SF story (rather than Traveller fan-fic) I really want to bring Melissa back to set up a conflict over which identity gets to keep custody of the body. It may involve catching up with Melissa Prime (who's still running with the Silver Streak folks...)

Perhaps she's a Personality Overlay, and that only works out because Melissa already had the necessary skill set (Nav, Engineering, Gunner) though maybe not at the desired levels. I'll need to go back through A6: Expedition to Zhodane to see how the mechanics of that are supposed to work, exactly... (and cross-check with T5).

The reason Melissa was also in the backup body may have something to do with the fact that the spare body appears to have been pregnant at some point -- and Melissa never was. I personally know why the cloning folks would have done that (instead of just making a baby the modern high-tech way) but I don't think I've got space in the remaining writing assignments to drag that thread in and be able to resolve it.

Last edited:
Restart, continued:

Shattered glass is still raining down, I’ve dragged Olga under the table, and the restaurant’s other customers took cover too. I hear screaming and crying through the ringing in my ears. Pretty sure it’s not mine -- I banged my knee on the way to the floor, that’s it for injuries.

I look to Olga. No blood, nothing bending the wrong way, she’s quiet so at least she’s not panicking and drawing attention. I look again – ok, she’s panicking. Frozen in terror, eyes wide – that’s not helpful. I have my laser pistol and a stunner. Olga’s unarmed.

Recon. Two tables over, someone’s been hit. He’s cursing, not screaming. His buddy there’s trying first aid. Probably military, keep looking. Moaning over in the corner – oh s**t, she looks bad. Dave took a hit like that in Little Imim on Feri. Even Melissa couldn’t help that time. “Space Unicorn, Mike,” I remember Melissa saying a long time ago, but why am I remembering it now? Ok, what’s next?

Hostiles? Maybe outside, but everyone in here’s taking cover, not seeking targets.

Police? “Police are stretched too thin here on Efate. Don’t expect prompt response,” I remember from the briefing this morning at the Scout Base. That’s just great. “Space Unicorn,” I also remember. She used to hum that children’s ditty when she was stressed.

Olga’s stressed too. Stunned. “I’ve got to get us out of here!” I think. “Get me out of here!” Melissa’s voice echoes in memory. But not yet – it’s not safe to run until the scene’s cleared... unless it gets worse.

Outside, footsteps crunching on broken glass – it just got worse. I draw my laser pistol, and watch, and wait. “Space Unicorn,” I sing under my breath, “soaring through the stars, delivering the rainbows, all around the world --”

Olga flinches. “Somebody’s got to deliver the f**king rainbows,” she mutters with a gleam in her eye. Olga never curses.

“Mike,” Melissa whispers from Olga’s lips, “thanks. Don’t move. Bad guy just outside the window behind you.”

A grinding slipped step on the broken glass outside, a part of a curse, automatic gunfire ripping outside, a submachine gun flying in through the shattered window onto the chair I’m hiding behind. The gun bounces, then settles.

“Take it,” Melissa demands. “I need your gun.”

“What the?” I stammer, handing her the laser pistol. She always was incredibly lucky.

She aims past me, and shouts. “You! Hands up!” A pause and more crunching broken glass outside; she gestures for me to move to my left, then fires the laser at the low wall behind where I was. Smoke, flames, then a pained shout from beyond the wall. A man’s cursing, and fast but uneven crunching steps – she got him in the leg, I bet – fade quickly into the distance.

“Mike,” she says, “let’s get out of here. Where’s the car?”

“Mel -- ” I start; she interrupts as I point to the back of the restaurant.

“Mike, I’m still Olga until further notice. It’s clear, let’s go.”

“How do you --” I ask.

“Don’t ask. Go.” We go.

The authorities didn’t even impose a traffic ground stop, or they haven’t yet. We’d tossed the guns into the back of my car and flew off without police interference. I look around for traffic, look down at the city to guess the altitude – close enough, it’ll do -- then set the autopilot for the starport gate. Melissa has her sunglasses back on, and she’s let her hair down.

“’Olga,’” I ask Melissa, “what’s going on here?”

“It’s ok,” she replies, “car’s not recording.

She taps her head. “I’m not supposed to be in here. Olga was a technician Guest personality, and those are supposed to be installs on empty wetware. She wasn’t that – she was an overlay, a curated remap of my own mind.”

“At least they didn’t do a mindwipe on you!” I exclaim.

“Yeah…” she trails off. “I know I couldn’t have f**ed up that badly and still been revived – but hold on a bit. What’s the current date, and where are we?”

“1107 Imperial, day 143,” I answer.

“Three weeks ago. That’s when my backup loaded. Let’s see… ow,” she pauses with a pained look. “What?” she asks, puzzled now.

I ask if she’s ok. She shakes her head, stares off into the distance, then closes her eyes and puts her head in her hands.

“They overlaid a new recording over one that was already installed. My memory’s going to be a bit weird until it sorts itself out. But there shouldn’t have been one installed!”

“Let me get this straight. This is your backup body, right?”

“Yes. Shouldn’t have had my identity recording installed until I was revived.”

“OK. But it did. Then they installed the recording from three weeks ago on top of it. Maybe they tried to install a full synthetic version of Olga first, and that failed because ‘you’ were already in there.”

“Makes sense,” she says, comprehension starting to dawn on her face. “So they reloaded the most recent backup, and then did an overlay to turn ‘me’ into ‘Olga’ instead.”

“Yeah. I’d guess they were told to install “Olga” and they did what they needed to do to make that happen without doing cybernetic mods,” I remark. “They weren’t trying to screw you over – much. But she’s supposed to be a technician. How…?”

“I already have most of the necessary skills – astrogation, engineering, gunnery, and so on – myself. I’m just not as good at them as she thought she was…”

A beep from the dashboard tells me we’re approaching the starport gate. “Thanks. It’s good to have you back,” I tell her.

“Glad to be back – and thank you for getting me out from under the overlay. Before we get to the gate, a couple of things. One, I’m still Olga. Two, please – please – don’t think too much about how you guessed what you needed to do to make that happen.”

Last edited:
Critical responses, anyone? Try reading it while pretending you don't know anything about the OTU, the PbP, or the game rules unless it's specifically mentioned in the text. Would it still make sense to an audience that's not already aware of them?

What worked for you, and what didn't?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Spoiler, for those who haven't read the backstory on Ms. Ketonic (and if you haven't but ran across this, let me know how well I've conveyed this information about her luck before you read the spoiler... )
She makes her own luck, with her mind. (It's ok, she's on the payroll, not one of those Psychic Spies from China Zhodane.)

Last edited:
By “it”, do you mean only starting from the Restart?
Pretty much -- that's the stuff that I'm aiming at an audience that's not necessarily familiar with the OTU or even the game, and where I'm trying to apply what I am learning in my class.

The earlier version was mostly playing it out (even though little actual die-rolling was involved) before writing it out. The new stuff is starting with a plot, motivations, and planned character arcs. (Maybe even a theme! )

If you want to critique any of the rest of it too, please feel free!

Thank you for your interest!

Next steps: She's a target. She's also a target that knows too much -- and whoever did the personalty overlay probably didn't know the purpose for which Melissa's body was being revived as Olga. (Or why it was that body in particular...)

[…] If you want to critique any of the rest of it too, please feel free!
In my view, the story hangs together without a background in the OTU, the PbP, or the game rules. Here is what stood out for me:
  • Post 36, paragraph 2: To someone unfamiliar with the OTU, the Duke is ambiguous — it could be a title of nobility, or it could be a nickname. (Something like His Grace, the Duke would be one way to clarify that the former is intended rather than the latter.)
  • Post 36, paragraph 3: The door at my feet spins closed, the one in front of me spins open — is the first door on/in the floor? Its placement in relation to the other door isn’t clear.
  • Post 36, paragraph 8: Should “Pilot Blankship” be “Pilot Blandship”?
  • Post 37: There doesn’t seem to be much context for what chimera grafts are, other than as a way to hide DNA.
  • There seems to be a gap in the tale between posts 37 and 43. Is that intentional?
  • Post 43: “What’s the current date, and where are we?” “1107 Imperial, day 143,” I answer. Is there a specific reason for Blandship to mention “Imperial”, and not mention where they were?

In my view, the story hangs together without a background in the OTU, the PbP, or the game rules. Here is what stood out for me:
  • Post 36, paragraph 2: To someone unfamiliar with the OTU, the Duke is ambiguous — it could be a title of nobility, or it could be a nickname. (Something like His Grace, the Duke would be one way to clarify that the former is intended rather than the latter.)
  • Post 36, paragraph 3: The door at my feet spins closed, the one in front of me spins open — is the first door on/in the floor? Its placement in relation to the other door isn’t clear.
  • Post 36, paragraph 8: Should “Pilot Blankship” be “Pilot Blandship”?
  • Post 37: There doesn’t seem to be much context for what chimera grafts are, other than as a way to hide DNA.
  • There seems to be a gap in the tale between posts 37 and 43. Is that intentional?
  • Post 43: “What’s the current date, and where are we?” “1107 Imperial, day 143,” I answer. Is there a specific reason for Blandship to mention “Imperial”, and not mention where they were?
I'm off to class right now so i can't go into depth but:
Good catch on the Duke (it's Norris, of course), Yes, it's a floor iris valve (at top of boarding ladder, this is the nose airlock). Good catch on the name glitch! Chimera is mixed tissue (that is, grafts of genetically different tissue to thwart cheek swabs and fingerprints). Gap was intentional. Date: allows establishing timeline, also to state that it's not BCE/AD. Should have also have mentioned that they're on Efate right then!
Again, thank you. More to follow when I have time.

Chimera grafting includes implantation of heterogenous hair follicles as well as tissue implants in cheeks and sinuses, and fingerprint re-growth. The idea is to have someone else's hair or tissue DNA in the spots where samples are usually gathered.
Another trick is to replace eyes with vat-grown ones that have different retinal patterns (same DNA, different expression).
Also, limb extension (break bones, extend them using pins and external jackscrews, use Medical Slow to accelerate bone regrowth in the gaps, repeat until limbs are the desired length) to defeat automated video gait/body shape detection. You can go the other way (shorter), too.

The bit about the nose airlock is because I'm cheating and using the super-hacky deckplans from the 199Td J4 scout for the J5 Neon Pegasus class out of sheer authorial laziness.

Really annoyed with myself that I didn't have Mike respond with the location (Efate) after the date. I only mentioned it in passing once (in Mike's memory of the planetary safety briefing). This bit is my own weirdness on top of the multiple identity installs -- I don't recall if folks using A6: Exp-Zho overlays can remember what happened while overlaid (personality wafers are total blackout periods though, per AotI). For this, I'm assuming not.

Also, she shouldn't have had access to the "break overlay" passphrase... I put that down to psionics weirdness and a rote-memorized emergency breakout phrase that's also useful in psionic control contestation.

Last edited:
Also, she shouldn't have had access to the "break overlay" passphrase... I put that down to psionics weirdness and a rote-memorized emergency breakout phrase that's also useful in psionic control contestation.
INTERNALLY ... no.
EXTERNALLY ... is a different story. :unsure:

You have a telepath who has certain parts of her own mind "locked away from her" ... but she's right next to someone "who knew her" AND who knows the "break overlay" passphrase (without realizing what it is or what it means). The behind the quill reason for her to be able to access that information is because she was "trawling" through HIS mind for anything associated with her (in the past) that would seem innocuous on the surface but which would have a hidden meaning to it that he's probably unaware of. She finds the "Space Unicorn, Mike" theme in his memories, encourages HIM to whistle it to her (for old time's sake), he does ... and that unlocks the overlay. This only "works" because "he knew her before" and his mind isn't psionically shielded against telepathic contact.

In other words, the "key was hidden in HIS mental history" rather than in HERS.
Kind of like leaving your key ring at a friend's house, so you're locked out of your own house. You don't have your keys yourself, but if you go back to your friend's house, you can find your keys there, bring them home to your house and get into your own house.

The impressive thing here is that she would have been "mental rolodex scrolling" through him while ALSO mentally tracing adversaries nearby, which makes for a rather impressive feat.

The impressive thing here is that she would have been "mental rolodex scrolling" through him while ALSO mentally tracing adversaries nearby, which makes for a rather impressive feat.
It's a variant on the "Scout Ketonic, REPORT!" maneuver that Puch pulled when Melissa Prime got "possesed" by the little girl ghost in the Annic Nova. (Away from good computer or I'd link it -- and probably will if I remember later.) Not an explicit escape prompt/synbol (possible in canon per A6), but an un-documented interrupt instead (not noted to be possible in A6).

while ALSO mentally tracing adversaries nearby
That's easy. Read surface thoughts, short range -- only a point or two. Terrorists (or assasins; haven't established that yet) are going to have very different thoughts than targets of an active shooter, so she didn't need much "active time" to get the ping.
"Why am I suddenly here? Ok, look around... crap, that guy wants to kill people and has a SMG!" It was quick reaction time, not active subconscious lurking.

There's more to it though, and I need to think it out -- specifically the distinction between how personality wafers (and the non-cyber equivalents for relict and guest clones) and A6 Personality Overlays work.

specifically the distinction between how personality wafers (and the non-cyber equivalents for relict and guest clones) and A6 Personality Overlays work.
Wafer identities last finite durations and can't be used repeatedly.
Relict and Guest installs are permanent.
Wafers can be "hot swapped" (painfully), merged, and the merged version backed up.
Presumably, Relict and Guest installs can be, if not "hot swapped" then at least merged by installing a later (or perhaps just different) version. Reconciling different memory sets for overlapping timespans is not pleasant (similar to hot-swapping identity wafers). An Overlay could just remap around the overlaps to avoid the dissonance,

Overlays aren't identity installs, they're a remap of memory in running wetware to shape personality and subjective identity. Those years at the University of Regina are now remembered as getting a degree from the Rhylanor Institute of Technology, for example. Friends' names and backgrounds change to fit. It's solid enough that a psionic probe won't find it easily. (Somehow it also must do language, but that's not mentioned explicitly in the text.)

Wafers dual-boot and run a second OS and programs instead. Main OS will auto-recover during the next reboot cycle.
Relicts and Guests are clean OS installs. There's nothing under the installed OS, so a reboot just restores the Guest/Relict identity.
Overlays are massive hacks to the OS to change the GUI and rename/redirect the file system. A button to recover to safe mode can be installed, but doesn't have to be. Then there's what happened here, where everything crashes (blue screen of death) and leaves a "press ESC to reboot to safe mode" message.

Chimera is mixed tissue (that is, grafts of genetically different tissue to thwart cheek swabs and fingerprints).
This is my lapse — when I read “chimera”, I thought of Greek mythology (i.e. a graft from some sort of non-human species) rather than unusual genetic combinations from the same species.

Date: allows establishing timeline, also to state that it's not BCE/AD.
The timeline establishment makes perfect sense. To me, someone in the Imperium specifically noting “Imperial” for the year would be like someone in our society today specifically noting “AD” or “CE” when asked what year it is. (Given “1107” and various technological details in the story, clarifying to the reader that the year was neither BC/BCE nor AD/CE seems unnecessary, though I guess it could have been interpreted that way if the reader thought that the story was taking place in an alternate Terran timeline.)

Wafer identities last finite durations and can't be used repeatedly.
Relict and Guest installs are permanent.
Wafers can be "hot swapped" (painfully), merged, and the merged version backed up.
Presumably, Relict and Guest installs can be, if not "hot swapped" then at least merged by installing a later (or perhaps just different) version. Reconciling different memory sets for overlapping timespans is not pleasant (similar to hot-swapping identity wafers). An Overlay could just remap around the overlaps to avoid the dissonance,

Overlays aren't identity installs, they're a remap of memory in running wetware to shape personality and subjective identity. Those years at the University of Regina are now remembered as getting a degree from the Rhylanor Institute of Technology, for example. Friends' names and backgrounds change to fit. It's solid enough that a psionic probe won't find it easily. (Somehow it also must do language, but that's not mentioned explicitly in the text.)

Wafers dual-boot and run a second OS and programs instead. Main OS will auto-recover during the next reboot cycle.
Relicts and Guests are clean OS installs. There's nothing under the installed OS, so a reboot just restores the Guest/Relict identity.
Overlays are massive hacks to the OS to change the GUI and rename/redirect the file system. A button to recover to safe mode can be installed, but doesn't have to be. Then there's what happened here, where everything crashes (blue screen of death) and leaves a "press ESC to reboot to safe mode" message.
Ok, there's a direction this is going. Olga thinks the ship's drives are perfectly ordinary. Melissa's going to walk into the drive bay and notice that the allegedly J-5 drives are a J-3 with a J-2 backup, and a Pn-5 power plant.

Melissa (as of the end of the last scene) won't remember that there's an issue with the drives (yet) because she was looking at (and working on) them as Olga until she sees them without the personality overlay installed.

Who did (or requested) the overlay with that weirdnes incorporated? (This is a rhetorical question, if you know me... LOL)

Great. The deadline for a partial first draft of the next installment (just sketched-out, I think) shifted to tomorrow night. Final draft of the current installment (post #43, "Restart, continued") is due Thursday night.

So I need to figure out what the third installment going to be, specifically. I think we get the "drives are weird" scene, a re-installation of "Olga" onto Melissa to make the drives work, a J-6 "misjump" to Regina/Regina, and a second too-far jump to meet up with the Silver Streak and get a partial resolution to that story line as well as figuring out who gets to keep the spare Melissa body (which is the conflict in this storyline).

And yes, I'll end up explaining why they end up chasing the Silver Streak if you haven't already figured it out. The problem here is that while you folks can figure it out, a reader who doesn't know the backstory won't have a clue. I need to work those clues into the narrative... (So far we know someone wanted Melissa's body reanimated and on a fast ship, which will turn out to have drives that shouldn't be able to do what they in fact turn out to be able to do.)

And I need (for my own purposes) to make the whole thing "no plans, no prototype, no backup" (tvtropes.com) so I don't break the OTU in this particular way. (The Collector Drives from Annic Nova with multi-week-storage-duration break it in a different way....)

Update: New email from insructor: It does only need to be an outline -- or whatever I've got done by tomorrow night's class. Whew!

Last edited:
Final Draft of Post #43 (Yes, mostly repeating myself here. Still could probably improve it a bit.)
--------------------------------

Shattered glass is still raining down, I’ve dragged Olga under the table, and the restaurant’s other customers took cover too. I hear screaming and crying through the ringing in my ears. Pretty sure it’s not mine -- I banged my knee on the way to the floor, that’s it for injuries.

I look to Olga. No blood, nothing bending the wrong way, she’s quiet so at least she’s not panicking and drawing attention. I look again – ok, she’s panicking. Frozen in terror, eyes wide – that’s not helpful. I have my laser pistol and a stunner. Olga’s unarmed.

Recon. Two tables over, someone’s been hit. He’s cursing, not screaming. His buddy there’s trying first aid. Probably military, keep looking. Someone moaning over in the corner – oh s**t, she looks bad. Dave took a hit like that in Little Imim on Feri. Even Melissa couldn’t help that time. “Space Unicorn, Mike,” I remember Melissa saying long ago, but am unsure why I remember now. What’s next?

Hostiles? Maybe outside, but everyone in here’s taking cover, not seeking targets.

Police? “Police are stretched too thin here on Efate. Don’t expect prompt response,” I remember from the briefing this morning at the Scout Base -- that and a warning about random terrorism. I wanted a “sociopolitical research” story for the week, guess this is it. “Space Unicorn,” I also remember, but not from this morning. Melissa used to hum that children’s ditty when she was stressed.

Olga’s stressed too – stunned, in fact. “I’ve got to get us out of here!” I think. “Get me out of here!” Melissa’s voice echoes in memory. But not yet – it’s not safe to run until the scene’s cleared... unless it gets worse.

Outside, footsteps crunching on broken glass – well, it just got worse. I draw my laser pistol, and watch, and wait for an opening. “Space Unicorn,” I sing under my breath, “soaring through the stars, delivering the rainbows, all around the world --”

Olga flinches. “Somebody’s got to deliver the f**king rainbows,” she mutters with a gleam in her eye. Olga never curses.

“Mike,” Melissa whispers from Olga’s lips, “thanks. Don’t move. Bad guy just outside the window behind you.”

A grinding slipped step on the broken glass outside, a part of a curse, automatic gunfire from there, a submachine gun flying in through the shattered window onto the chair I’m hiding behind. The gun bounces, then settles.

“Take it,” Melissa demands. “I need your gun.”

“What the --?” I stammer, handing her the laser pistol. She always was incredibly lucky.

She aims past me, and shouts. “You! Stand Up! Hands up!” A pause and more crunching broken glass outside; she mutters something under her breath, gestures for me to move to my left, then fires the laser at the low wall behind where I was. Smoke, flames, then a pained shout from beyond the wall. A man’s cursing, and fast but uneven crunching steps – she got him in the leg, I bet – fade quickly into the distance.

“Mike,” she says, “let’s get out of here. Where’s the car?”

“Mel -- ” I start; she interrupts as I point to the back of the restaurant.

“Mike, I’m still Olga until further notice. It’s clear, let’s go.”

“How can you know --” I start to ask.

“Don’t ask. Go.” We go.

The authorities aren’t even imposing a traffic ground stop, at least they haven’t yet. We’d tossed the guns into the back of my car and flew off without police interference. I look around for traffic, then down at the city to guess the altitude – close enough, it’ll do -- then set the autopilot for the starport gate. Melissa has her sunglasses back on, and she’s let her hair down.

“’Olga,’” I ask Melissa, “what’s going on here?”

“It’s ok,” she replies, “car’s not recording – you can use my name now.

She taps her head. “I’m not supposed to be in here. Olga was a technician Guest personality, and those are supposed to be installs on empty wetware. She wasn’t that – she was an overlay instead, a curated remap of my own mind.”

“At least they didn’t do a mindwipe on you!” I exclaim.

“Yeah…” she trails off. “I know I couldn’t have screwed up that badly and still get revived – but hold on a bit. What’s the current date, and where are we?”

“1107 Imperial, day 143 – we’re in Startown on Efate,” I answer.

“They loaded this backup into me three weeks ago, the hyperjump from Boughene Station would have burned at least a week of that. Let’s see… ow,” she pauses with a pained look. “What?” she asks of no-one in particular.

I ask if she’s ok. She shakes her head, stares off into the distance, then closes her eyes and puts her head in her hands.

“They overlaid a new recording over one that was already installed. My memory’s going to be a clusterhug until it sorts itself out. But there shouldn’t have been a recording installed!”

“Let me get this straight. This is your backup body, right?” I ask.

“Yes. Shouldn’t have had my identity recording installed until I was revived.”

“OK. But it did. Then they installed the recording from three weeks ago on top of it. Maybe they tried to install a full synthetic version of Olga first, and that failed because ‘you’ were already in there.”

“Makes sense,” she says, comprehension starting to dawn on her face. “So they reloaded the most recent backup, and then did an overlay to turn ‘me’ into ‘Olga’ instead.”

“Yeah. I’d guess they were told to install “Olga” and they did what they needed to do to make that happen without doing cybernetic mods,” I remark. “They weren’t trying to screw you over personally. But she’s supposed to be a technician. How…?”

“I already have most of the necessary skills – astrogation, engineering, gunnery, and so on – myself. I’m just not as good at them as she thought she was…”

“You’re good enough, from what I recall,” I tell her. “It’s good to have you back.”

“Glad to be back – and thank you for getting me out from under the overlay. Before we get to the gate, a couple of things: One, I’m still Olga again. Two, please – please – don’t think too much about how you knew what you needed to do to make that happen.”

“They’ll debrief me about this when we check in,” I point out. “Not you, though – you’re a guest clone as far as they know, and nobody cares.”

“Sounds right,” Melissa remarks. “Though it’d be simpler if you had been the one firing your pistol – Olga wouldn’t have. You just made a lucky guess.”

“Got it,” I acknowledge.

“This mission here went off pretty well,” she continues, “maybe one fatality if the medics didn’t get to that one woman in the corner. That, and you rescued a Scout Service Postal Inspector – namely, me.”

I hesitated for a moment, and shook my head. “Yes, we rescued you. But in the process, we killed Olga.”

“Wait,” she replies with a bit of side-eye. “What do you mean, ‘we’?”

I swallow. I’m probably dead now, one way or another, I realize, but there’s nothing to be done for it. “Well, you just told me not to think about it too much, but I did. I think you fed me that children’s tune to break the personality overlay. I think you’re psionic, like the Zhodani operatives who’re mind-warping so-called ‘random’ lunatics like the goon who shot up our cafe. And I know I’m not supposed to know it. So, are you going to kill me, wipe my mind, or what?”

Her side-eye shifts to a look of resignation; she sighs. “I knew I wasn’t going to get away with this so easily. Mike, I’m on your side – the Imperium’s side. The Zhodani Consulate is ruled by their psionic overlords; we Scouts have a few psionics of our own. We have to.”

“Let’s see,” I start, “I’m not dead yet, and I think I still have free will. Privacy? As if…!

I continue, “I suppose I have to take your word for it. But Olga’s still dead.”

“Look, Mike – I didn’t even know I was within her… me… whatever. In a real sense, I never met her. I wish I had. She seems like she was a good person, though, and her erasure was a loss. I’m sorry.”

I relax; this is the Melissa I knew, not the one I had feared she was. “Yes. A very good person.”

“I don’t know if it’ll help you or make it harder,” she responds, “but I’m going to have to pretend to be her for a while yet.”

“Nothing to be done for it. I’ll help you stay in character, and deal with it.”

A beep from the dashboard tells me we’re approaching the starport gate. As we glide to a stop for the guards, I hopefully announce, “Here goes nothing…”

Bump -- any critical comments?

I'm ok with this so far. Now, to work up the conclusory 4-6 pages...

Back