• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Fat Cat Owners Manual

Most of you are already familiar with this project. The Fat Cat is a starship supplement book for the TRAVELLER RPG that TRAQ and I have been working on for about a year now.

With the Kickstarter fund raiser now moments away from closing, I'm tasked with writing an "Owners manual" for the ship. I have a general Idea of what needs to go in it (see below), but I figured id give you guys (since the majority of those who have pledged so generously are also members of this message board) the opportunity to make sure the things your expecting are in the owners manual.

So here's where you get to sound off.

We intend to make the book look as much like a "typical" users manual as possible. Including depictions of user interfaces that only vaguely resemble the holo-terminal floating before you. Not to mention all the useless Tech Support contact information that will take weeks/months/years to hear back from.

Here's the basic Outline:

Safety instructions: Space, its a dangerous place. And sophants are prone to doing dumb things. This section will cover all the things you should NEVER DO! Form general spacer stuff to ship specific information.

Normal usage instructions: This is general operating procedures. Such as instructions on operating the many systems you will find on board.

Maintenance instructions: Technobabble on how to fix the gizmo fluff gadgets.

Troubleshooting instructions: So you accidentally deleted the Navigational sensor readout display panel. Here's how you bring it back up.

Regulatory code compliance information: Just because they don't have a lot of rules, doesn't mean they don't enforce ever last one of them. These are the common sense regulations all Ship masters will have to abide by when operating a ship within Versian controlled space.

Technical specifications: Gizmo fluff.

Warranty information: This is where the Starwright's Guild tells you what your not allowed to do to the various systems of the ship or they will not pay to fix them.

Last edited:
Do you have access to DGP's Starship Operator's Manual? I'm sure you would find some inspiration there. :)

As for servicing and warranty information - perhaps a maintenance schedule? (Zuchai Cryatals MUST be changed every MPc [Megaparsec] or 5 years, whichever comes first) (REMEMBER - Atmospheric scrubber filters must be changed WEEKLY to avoid hazardous operating conditions within the ship - use only FACTORY AUTHORIZED replacement filter elements)

Last edited:
Do you have access to DGP's Starship Operator's Manual? I'm sure you would find some inspiration there. :)
Nope. One of my players had one, but he moved. I'm trying to find one.

As for servicing and warranty information - perhaps a maintenance schedule? (Zuchai Cryatals MUST be changed every MPc [Megaparsec] or 5 years, whichever comes first) (REMEMBER - Atmospheric scrubber filters must be changed WEEKLY to avoid hazardous operating conditions within the ship - use only FACTORY AUTHORIZED replacement filter elements)
All good suggestions. I'm also going to be downloading a bunch of real owners manuals to draw inspiration from. The more input I get, the more ideas it will spark.

Crews Checklists and duties?

Not sure if you are including a "wiring" diagram in the actual book, but if not a overview drawing of wiring and plumbing might be a neat addition. I can see a storyline where the crew has to fix something before the ship loses power so they turn to the Owner's Manual :)

Or what happens to the toilets when you lose gravity.... never mind, I don't really want to know :)

Optional system trade-outs the different systems? How can I squeeze this XXX in?

Self-Destruct Sequence? Initiation? Shutdown? Override?

Where are the airlocks and what couplers do they use? How does it cycle and how fast? Override procedures?

Computer Access? Security? Virus prevention warnings (written like a legal statement..."We are not responsible for any computer virus resulting...")? Soft Resets. Hard Resets (factory settings). Loading foreign Nav Maps. Advertisement for new and updated Maps (Send 1,000cr to...)

Stress Tolerances when entering or leaving a planet's atmosphere. How close to the sun can the shielding take.

Proper loading and stowing of cargo. Optional cargo configurations ("Cap'n there be whales here")

Crawl spaces? (Chompers and the Omega-13?)

Installation of cup-holders in chairs?

Zooming and Search features on the Nav Map.

Proper cooking procedures in the galley (dig out your appliance user manuals and enjoy).

Passenger configurations? High berth vs Low berths? Low Berth maintenance and storage. ("Mr. Rhod, you are going to have to assume your individual position")

OK... that is off the top of my head. Sorry for going with some favorite movie allusions :)

Email me at goldlore@gmail.com if you want to explore more ideas.

If you are looking for more technical inspiration you could also check out the pilot's operating handbooks for various aircraft. A quick Google search turned up some free PDF files like this one for the Cessna 152:

http://www.langleyflyingschool.com/Pages/Ready Room Cessna 152 POH.html

Or this one for the RANS S-12 Homebuilt:

www.angelesflying.com/documents/S12_POH_v1.pdf

I should have thought of recommending this kind of thing earlier but it's been more than a few years since I've used one... :)

Last edited:
I intend to keep the Fat Cat owners manual to about 20 pages. Though at some point I think I'm going to write a much longer one. One that gives you are the dirty truths about interacting with port officials, port union stewards, and the like.

"The Unofficial Starship Operations Manual".

Last edited:
Just a quick up date. I'd like to thank Lore for stepping up and offering his assistance with the owners manual. As it stands It looks like the manual will be about 30 pages. I'd like to make it longer, but budget constraints prevent it.

Crews Checklists and duties?

Not sure if you are including a "wiring" diagram in the actual book, but if not a overview drawing of wiring and plumbing might be a neat addition. I can see a storyline where the crew has to fix something before the ship loses power so they turn to the Owner's Manual :)

Or what happens to the toilets when you lose gravity.... never mind, I don't really want to know :)

On these notes Challenge #31 has an 'Amber Zone' titled "Wrong way Valve" :devil:

Well obviously the second ship in the class (the original will be the "Fat Cat") will be named "Garfield". With one of those plushies suction-cupped to the rear viewport...

(And maybe a daring captain with a long memory will name their's "Bill"...)

;)

Well obviously the second ship in the class (the original will be the "Fat Cat") will be named "Garfield". With one of those plushies suction-cupped to the rear viewport...

;)

Another will be Puss in Boots.

Hans

Troubleshooting instructions:
Problem: Starship won't start up.
Suggestions: Make sure you have installed the fusion power plant supplied with the ship. Do not use fusion power plants made by other shipyards, as they may damage or destroy the ship and void your warranty.

;)

Hah!

Another good source (don't ask why I know this) is this google search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=research+vessel+operator's+manual

Last edited:
Back