• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Favorite Chapter (Spoilers Likely)

aramis

Administrator
Administrator
Baronet
Was wondering what other people's favorite chapter was...

Mine is Chapter 33 - Margaret II.

I didn't see it coming, but it made perfect sense once it unfolded.

Too many too choose from

Coreward of the Imperium hit me with this quote:
Many a powerful family knew that
the key to its power was the secret control codes for its
makershop and its output.
and the chapter introduces the craziness wave (Empress Wave)

Then there is The Quix Path chapter which introduces Zhodani reality manipulation and knowledge of the not foam (look them up in T5)
There is mention of events still to come, The Wave. The Great Break. The Black Fleets, and what they are trying to do about these threats:
To divert the Wave. To avoid the chaos of the Break. To repel the Black Fleets.

I want more books lol

Last edited:
Then there is this:
was a product of his particular social class: his rudimentary education
focused on being a good citizen, media emphasized patriotism and social co-operation,
entertainments provided fairy-tale adventures with little relationship to reality.
Consequently, he had an unrealistic understanding of the nobility. He believed in the
platitudes of honor and responsibility that were so often spoken but not respected, and he
subconsciously expected that most of his duties would be dramatic affirmations of those
high principles.
Does this describe the average Imperial citizen?

Then there is this:
[FONT=arial,helvetica]
was a product of his particular social class: his rudimentary education
focused on being a good citizen, media emphasized patriotism and social co-operation,
entertainments provided fairy-tale adventures with little relationship to reality.
Consequently, he had an unrealistic understanding of the nobility. He believed in the
platitudes of honor and responsibility that were so often spoken but not respected, and he subconsciously expected that most of his duties would be dramatic affirmations of those high principles.
[/FONT]
Does this describe the average Imperial citizen?
Probably. Think about it. The average citizen lives on a Pop A world, with a law level in the A+ range.

But keep in mind that it would describe the average Imperial citizen at the time of this individual's elevation to baronial status. In earlier or later milieux it may or may not be different (either more like the ideal or more jaded).

I honestly read it so fast that I have to re-read it to understand what happened. I couldn't stop for like the last 15 chapters so half of them I read when I was only half awake. :)

The Great Break

Then there is The Quix Path chapter which introduces . . . mention of events still to come, The Wave. The Great Break. The Black Fleets, and what they are trying to do about these threats:
[FONT=arial,helvetica]
To divert the Wave. To avoid the chaos of the Break. To repel the Black Fleets.
[/FONT]

Maybe I just missed it, but:
I understand the Empress Wave . . .

and I picked up on how the "Black Fleets" first mentioned in the T5 Kickstarter rewards are starting to be fleshed out . . .

but what is the "Great Break"? Is it detailed anywhere and/or has it been mentioned somewhere before?
Did I just miss it altogether in the book?

I honestly read it so fast that I have to re-read it to understand what happened. I couldn't stop for like the last 15 chapters so half of them I read when I was only half awake. :)

That's exactly what I did. I need to read it again to absorb it. I am waiting to get the physical book before doing so.
After my initial read I was particularly inspired by Chapter 18: Enna Plant Lagash Report 3 and the description of Jumpspace. It inspired me so much that I wrote a piece of music for Marc (entitled Jumpspace). Here is the link to it on my SoundCloud page:
https://soundcloud.com/custom-madeb...nspired-by-marc-millers-agent-of-the-imperium

Was wondering what other people's favorite chapter was...

That was my favorite, as well, exactly because it blindsided me but in retrospect made sense.

I also liked the Enna Plant (sp?) chapters.
And the Dakhaseri intermissions.

Chapter?

Not so much chapter, but more the descriptions of Jumpspace and that it turns out you can see things for real and in fact it can be useful if aggravating to define, share, and may e understand, but as one of those people who dig it, nice to know I am not a crazy person...or at least not for that. :)

Sorry to thread-spoil, but I updated my sound cloud page.
So here are the new links to 2 of the pieces of music I wrote for Marc:

The first one is the music I wrote for Marc's Kickstarter campaign video for Agent Of The Imperium:
https://soundcloud.com/mattadcockmusic/the-decider-original-composition?in=mattadcockmusic/sets/music-inspired-by-marc-millers

The second is the piece I wrote which I was inspired to write after reading Marc's description of Jumpspace:
https://soundcloud.com/mattadcockmusic/jumpspace-music-inspired-by-marc-millers-agent-of-the-imperium?in=mattadcockmusic/sets/music-inspired-by-marc-millers

Of course I took some creative liberties with some of the sound effects at the beginning and end of this piece, as I don't even know if Jumpspace would produce any sounds, as such, inside the ship.
But one of the sound effects I used is the "tape loading" sound from my old Sinclair ZX Spectrum computer. I remember the scene in Star Trek IV where they slingshot around the sun and all the monitors are dead, the only sound onboard was what sounded to me like my old computer tape loading. So that inspired me to use something similar for Marc's music.

I finally had a chance to re-read the hard copy of the book and it was just as good the 2nd time around. As for picking a favorite chapter, that is tough. I really enjoyed the level of detail and planning that went into the coup, and Margaret II does stand out as well. The chapter when Sticky gets Knighted was great as well.

And Matt, that Jumpspace song is very relaxing as background music. Thank you for sharing!

The Wave of Craziness chapter. It shows what the Imperium considers long term surveys/expeditions and the Empress Wave was coming.

I have issues with that particular element of the story - portraying a female leader as naive and then killing her off. In context it's not terrible (royalty is often a bit dodgy in the head, and the death is pre-established) but it veers towards trope/misogyny territory.

But that aside I do have the question: how long has Marc known that the cave in was no accident?!?! Since 1981* ?!?!

(In an airport on my phone, so I'm guessing at the date.)

Not so much chapter, but more the descriptions of Jumpspace and that it turns out you can see things for real and in fact it can be useful if aggravating to define, share, and may e understand, but as one of those people who dig it, nice to know I am not a crazy person...or at least not for that. :)

Seeing things in j-space reminded me of Bob Shaw's Nightwalk.

Back