• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

High Pop Industrial Agricultural Garden worlds?

Ahhh, Synthetic Food.

LOOKS like this:
Big-Mac-1024x1024.jpg

... and TASTES like this:

types-of-cardboard-packaging-Corrugated-fiberboard.jpg

:)

[FYI ... that Hamburger is NOT MEAT.]
I remember many years ago having to eat veggie meat as a kid, and not being very happy about it. Now they have veggie meat that tastes pretty good. It doesn't really taste like meat, but it does taste good, so that's a step in the right direction. And for the record, I prefer real meat to veggie meat.

I remember many years ago having to eat veggie meat as a kid, and not being very happy about it. Now they have veggie meat that tastes pretty good. It doesn't really taste like meat, but it does taste good, so that's a step in the right direction. And for the record, I prefer real meat to veggie meat.
I'll put in a request to Vegetaria's consulate to see what's fashionable with their cuisine these days.

Another way a solar system might have incompatable trade codes- more than 1 habitable planet. The system might have an industrial world and a garden world closer to the star, or 2 different moons of a giant planet in the habitable zone. I can easily see a world mostly used for food production with industry on a less temperate planet.

It's perfectly possible to have multiple populated worlds/moons/orbits within a star system. The MAINworld however will have a specific set of trade codes, while other worlds within the system can have other trade codes.

Build industrial O'Niell cylinder cluster alongside agricultural O'Niell cylinders at Lagrange points and repair the environment of the planet and you have a garden world for playtime.

This is trivial engineering for a high population TL9 world.

Build industrial O'Niell cylinder cluster alongside agricultural O'Niell cylinders at Lagrange points and repair the environment of the planet and you have a garden world for playtime.

This is trivial engineering for a high population TL9 world.
My TU has that scenario except the getting off and staying off earth was involuntary plague, and the earth is now much more valuable as a genetic product template machine.

But there's going to be a tipping point (at which TL: 10, 12?) at which the synthetic stuff will not only taste great but will be pretty healthy for people. Glorious technology, saving people from their guilty eating habits...
I don’t know … TL 0-1: the food is healthy and diseases kill people … TL 7-8: diseases are under control and the food (smoking, obesity, cancer) is killing people … TL 10-12: 100% synthetic genetically-engineered food (which direction is this trend heading?) ;)

The fun part is when you realized that agricultural worlds can have tainted atmospheres, but they can't be overly populated in order to leave enough habitat to devote to farming and husbandry for agricultural export. Having an untainted atmosphere is just a bonus.
I think Occam's Razor would suggest that, out there in the real universe at least, the most common atmospheric 'taint' in an otherwise breathable atmosphere would be carbon dioxide. For most of our Terra's history, in fact, CO2 levels were well above 1,000 ppm (about 3.5 times modern preindustrial levels), and often ranged from 2,000 to 4,000 ppm (most recently in the Triassic). I believe it was even higher than that at the start of the Carboniferous.

These are levels that humans would find unpleasantly tolerable in the lower ranges (1-2,000 ppm), but downright problematic at the higher ones. Plants, on the other hand, would find those levels darned enjoyable, up to a point.
Agricultural + Rich is certainly doable
Industrial tends to be rather exclusive of most other trade codes, however.
As a side note: It only has just occurred to me, right now, that the Ag designation should really be tied to a planet's size. After all, if tens of millions can reside on a world half the diameter of the Moon and still make it work as an Agricultural world (with the right atmosphere, of course -- and, yes, I know, I know ...), then hundreds of millions could easily make a go of it on a Terra sized world, and even a few billion on someplace like Shiwonee (the Size A Geonee homeworld).

There needs to be a trade code that combines rich, industrial and agricultural into one designation.
Umm ...
The world EXPORTS lots of food (AG) and manufactured goods (IND), but desperately needs to IMPORT agricultural machinery (AG) and food (IND)? I think the CODE for that is "NO TRADE CODE" ... just "High Population".

Industrial tends to be rather exclusive of most other trade codes, however.
However, as I found out with my "new color scheme portolan charting" method for the Spinward Marches, the Industrial trade code can also be paired with Non-agricultural, Poor and even Desert.

Louzy/Jewell/Spinward Marches is Industrial, Non-agricultural and Poor ... but at least the world has Hydrographics: 2, which is a good thing since there is no gas giant in the system.
Bevey/Rhylanor/Spinward Marches also Industrial, Non-agricultural and Poor ... but it's also a Desert world because Hydrographics: 0, which isn't as bad as it could be because the system has 4 gas giants in it.

Asteroid belts with Population: 6+ are automatically Non-agricultural ... and Population: 9+ are automatically Industrial ... so Glisten/Glisten/Spinward Marches is both Industrial and Non-agricultural.

If the USA were a planet it would be both industrialized and AG
I don't think so. "Planet USA" would just have both Agricultural and Industrial exports and imports (like most worlds). A country that shifted its resources so far into IND production that it REQUIRED AG Imports to survive, but offset that with huge IND exports would be TRADE CLASSIFIED as an IND world to denote that they do NOT need to import your load of Machine Parts.

It is important to remember the function of the Trade Codes ... a world that is RICH and IND and AG, really has no pressing shortages to generate high trade modifiers (or they would just shift local production to meet a +2/-2 trade imbalance that doubled market prices).

Umm ...
The world EXPORTS lots of food (AG) and manufactured goods (IND), but desperately needs to IMPORT agricultural machinery (AG) and food (IND)? I think the CODE for that is "NO TRADE CODE" ... just "High Population".
That makes sense
I don't think so. "Planet USA" would just have both Agricultural and Industrial exports and imports (like most worlds).
I'm basing it on when the USA was the worlds largest ag & Industrial products exporter and few few imports

I'm basing it on when the USA was the worlds largest ag & Industrial products exporter and few few imports

In TRAVELLER, I think that is reflected in Class A Starport and High TL [I think those were the variables that gave you BIG CARGOES on the export tables. "Merchant Prince" reflected that better than LBB1-3 Trade [don't shoot me if I got the details wrong, I am just going from memory on that.]

Back