• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Holographic Invisibility Suit

Werner

SOC-13
this is a kind of armor that projects a hologram around the wearer that he is not there, and is thus rendered invisible. What tech level is this? At the lowest tech level it becomes available, it only makes the wearer invisible in the visible wavelengths of light, at higher tech levels, it broadens the spectrum of invisibility it casts into infrared and ultraviolet and so on.

this is a kind of armor that projects a hologram around the wearer that he is not there, and is thus rendered invisible. What tech level is this? At the lowest tech level it becomes available, it only makes the wearer invisible in the visible wavelengths of light, at higher tech levels, it broadens the spectrum of invisibility it casts into infrared and ultraviolet and so on.

A hologram is itself a projection of wave/particle. If the hologram stopped light the cameras on the suit would not be able to see what they are supposed to project. E.g. they could not see the background behind the wearer and thus could not project it in front to make the wearer "disappear".

So, you are in the "magic" realm and probably TL 21+

A hologram is itself a projection of wave/particle. If the hologram stopped light the cameras on the suit would not be able to see what they are supposed to project. E.g. they could not see the background behind the wearer and thus could not project it in front to make the wearer "disappear".

So, you are in the "magic" realm and probably TL 21+
Cameras could be quite small, they need to see in all directions, so the wearer would not be entirely invisible, kind of like the Predator suits, they blend in quite well, so they are hard to see.

Combat Environment Suit can do it for infrared (not invisibility as such, but matches IR to background level so it's "invisible" in low-res IR) at TL-12.

Fanon (I'm not sure of the source -- maybe there is a canon origin?) has the Scout uniform being a variant of this suit with programmable coloration that can be either camouflage or any color scheme desired for wear in formal or informal situations. Might have been low-resolution active camouflage (pattern is optimized for general background colors and patterns) but I don't recall the details.

Fanon (I'm not sure of the source -- maybe there is a canon origin?) has the Scout uniform being a variant of this suit with programmable coloration that can be either camouflage or any color scheme desired for wear in formal or informal situations. Might have been low-resolution active camouflage (pattern is optimized for general background colors and patterns) but I don't recall the details.

In GURPS Scout supplement "First In" we read that S3 expedition dress (a lighter, more Scout- and stealth-oriented form of battledress detailed on p32) has a stealth system that is at least in part rooted in chameleon technology. I'm not super familiar with how the GURPS rules handle this, but I have used S3 ED in play and gave it a sort of invisibility like what's seen in the "Predator" movies, with some disadvantage to visual tracking.

Back