• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General How does this sound for Rewards in the Imperium?

I'd add:

Bank/megacorp rewards (mostly for repossession)

I'd also make for Imperial rewards, if they are 1 MCr or more: roll 2d6+MCr. On a 12, character is knighted instead

Afterthoughts:

Probably one of the most common work for bounty hunters, though, would be working for local (planetary) governments to return fleeing citizens on nearby systems (e.g. a "rebel" from a Law Level B planet that has maneaged to flee to a nearby democracy "to conspire against his mother planet").

Another point: given what you can claim for repossessing a ship (probably on the order of MCr, if it’s a percentage of the ship value), don’t you think the Imperial rewards, at least for major crimes, should be higher? Who would hunt them if repossessing ships is more lucrative?

Afterthoughts:

Probably one of the most common work for bounty hunters, though, would be working for local (planetary) governments to return fleeing citizens on nearby systems (e.g. a "rebel" from a Law Level B planet that has maneaged to flee to a nearby democracy "to conspire against his mother planet").

Another point: given what you can claim for repossessing a ship (probably on the order of MCr, if it’s a percentage of the ship value), don’t you think the Imperial rewards, at least for major crimes, should be higher? Who would hunt them if repossessing ships is more lucrative?
'Inter-Stellar' bounty hunters are going to have almost crippling expenses, also. I don't see any of these amounts drastically out of line.

Bank/megacorp rewards (mostly for repossession)
Remember those LBB2 rules on Skipping where you don't pay the mortgage installments on your bank loan financed ship (so in effect, the crew "steals" the ship and refuses to pay the bank)?

Yeah ... someone is going to have to be assigned to doing the job of tracking down and recovering starships of operators who have defaulted on their loan payments ... and by its very nature, such a job "can't be local" if you're chasing down "skippers" who have fled interstellar.

If you'd like to see an analog of what this kind of work looks like (at lower tech levels with smaller, cheaper craft), you might enjoy watching this clip.

If you'd like to see more Airplane Repo clips, here's a youtube link for you.

Last edited:
Remember those LBB2 rules on Skipping where you don't pay the mortgage installments on your bank loan financed ship (so in effect, the crew "steals" the ship and refuses to pay the bank)?

Yeah ... someone is going to have to be assigned to doing the job of tracking down and recovering starships of operators who have defaulted on their loan payments ... and by its very nature, such a job "can't be local" if you're chasing down "skippers" who have fled interstellar.

If you'd like to see an analog of what this kind of work looks like (at lower tech levels with smaller, cheaper craft), you might enjoy watching this clip.

If you'd like to see more Airplane Repo clips, here's a youtube link for you.
The cameras probably cost more than the payday. The real money would be in the tv show payoff.

That’s a 1% payoff, if no provision for costs that would leave such work to thrill junkies.

Expenses, it has already been mentioned, expenses.

Does the bounty hunter travel as a passenger or do they have their own ship?

If the former who pays for the tickets.
If the latter then who pays the crew salaries, fuel costs, mortgage, life support?

My model for ship repo would be the guy who wrote Seized. The functional equivalent is repo at the starport- in most cases don’t need your own ship. He never fights his way in, sneaks in often doing something to distract the authorities and guards, and gets out.

While looking that up, ran across another pay model- seize the vehicle, resell it, majority goes to bank and repo gets sales commission.

Well, there was an article about the repossessors. In a JTAS, IIRC...
Found it: JTAS 16, page 24-27, article named Giving the Bank a Fighting Chance

According it, repossession fees are "up to 10% of he ship's value". Of course, the value would not be taht of a brand new ship, but it can still amount to some MCr.

Take this into account when the Imperial authorities offer a bounty fee, as they will attract few people if repossessing is more lucrative...

The functional equivalent is repo at the starport- in most cases don’t need your own ship. He never fights his way in, sneaks in often doing something to distract the authorities and guards, and gets out.
Depends on how sophisticated/connected the deadbeat is ... and where the asset is to be seized.

Not every asset is going to conveniently be parked "locally" you know.
And then there are aviation assets that get defaulted on by national airlines ... and the banks want to repossess them from locations in foreign countries (Traveller equivalent = other star systems for starships).

Assuming that you can execute repo operations on the budget of a "hobbyist" might be true for an amateur ... but not a professional.
I wonder if there is a 'standard' form/formula for figuring aircraft/ship depreciation out there some where?
Actually, there is. It isn't explicitly stated somewhere (that I can remember while posting this) ... but the rule of thumb is -1% of the construction cost per year after construction is the default depreciation.

So a 10 year old craft retains 90% of its construction value if sold.
A 40 year old craft retains 60% of its construction value if sold.

Obviously there can be modifiers +/- to that baseline due to condition and history, but the -1% per year depreciation at least gives you a starting point to work with.

I wonder if there is a 'standard' form/formula for figuring aircraft/ship depreciation out there some where?
I gather you are talking RL examples. Don’t know but I can offer up a functional ruling.

I’d say 1% per year for maintained starships, 2d6% for unmaintained.

For vehicles, I would say most are not built to starship standards, so whatever percentage they are cheaper then starship per ton.

The original CT air/raft costs Cr600000 so in the ballpark of starship per ton cost, it gets starship depreciation. The later versions are cheaper, so say you have a Cr200000 air/raft- it would depreciate at 3x the starship rate.

Depends on how sophisticated/connected the deadbeat is ... and where the asset is to be seized.

Not every asset is going to conveniently be parked "locally" you know.
And then there are aviation assets that get defaulted on by national airlines ... and the banks want to repossess them from locations in foreign countries (Traveller equivalent = other star systems for starships).

Assuming that you can execute repo operations on the budget of a "hobbyist" might be true for an amateur ... but not a professional.
Hardberger was a professional. I assume he got paid well. I’m gathering his repos were in the Americas so functionally within the subsystem.

10% of ship value pays for a lot of costs, even for just a Type A.

Is there any Imperial law enforcement? Are planetary governments allowed to empower personnel with extra-planetary powers? Extradition policies among cooperating governments?

Is there any Imperial law enforcement?

Yes, the MoJ, but the IISS and IN are likely to act in this way from time to time (and IRIS, while unofficial, as it's told about in the OP linked page)

Are planetary governments allowed to empower personnel with extra-planetary powers? Extradition policies among cooperating governments?

I assume yes to both, at least on practical terms. Of course, a fugitive may ask for refuge, either to a neighboring system or to the Imperial Authorities, but I guess most governments, being quite oppresive, are not above paying someone to kidnapp fugitives on other systems...

Last edited:
Back