• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General If you plan on running an underwater game...

has a lot of SCUBA diving going on.
S ome
C ome
U p
B arely
A live

ihZgG1T.jpeg

Speaking of surprising underwater things that weren't actually underwater: During my recent visit to Chile, we saw the Museo Maratimo National (National Maritime Museum) in Valparasio.

Anyhow, one thing I saw there that surprised me was one of the Fenix capsules used to rescue 33 miners from a mine collapse at 700m (2,300ft) depth in 2010, crediting a naval task force with its design and implementation (not highlighted: designed in collaboration with NASA). [Link: wikipedia]

Mine collapse rescue by a naval task force?!

Oh, right -- Chile has submarines in their fleet, and their navy would have technical experts on engineering and the decompression issues on ascent during the recovery operation.

Last edited:
Speaking of surprising underwater things that weren't actually underwater: During my recent visit to Chile, we saw the Museo Maratimo National (National Maritime Museum) in Valparasio.

Anyhow, one thing I saw there that surprised me was one of the Fenix capsules used to rescue 33 miners from a mine collapse at 700m (2,300ft) depth in 2010, crediting a naval task force with its design and implementation (not highlighted: designed in collaboration with NASA). [Link: wikipedia]

Mine collapse rescue by a naval task force?!

Oh, right -- Chile has submarines in their fleet, and their navy would have technical experts on engineering and the decompression issues on ascent during the recovery operation.
Chile also has the second-oldest ironclad warship afloat in the former Peruvian Navy ironclad Huascar, which Chile captured from the Peruvians during the War of the Pacific in 1879. The only ironclad ship older is the HMS Warrior. By any chance did you visit the Huascar while in Chile?

By any chance did you visit the Huascar while in Chile?
Wasn't an option, alas. We stayed in Santiago, with a day trip to Valpariso. The Huscar is in Talcahuano, well to the south. Pretty sure they had a large model of it, but I didn't take photos. It's definitely a signficant prize in historical terms!

The (1946-53 Spanish-built) barquentine Esmeralda was at Valpariso, but not really visible from where we were due to haze and light rain. Unsurprisingly, our tour guide neither mentioned that it was Spanish-built, nor did she discuss the ship's use during the Pinochet years.

Last edited:
If you're going to run an adventure under water, the Bermuda Triangle show has a lot of SCUBA diving going on.

And some very old wrecks.

Definitely could give you ideas and visuals to help you describe what the Players see.
Going back to Spinward Scout's original post, here is a great video to watch to get some ideas as to what your characters might encounter if they dare enter the sea. Sea Monsters A Walking with Dinosaurs Trilogy

It is a great watch even if you are not planning a undersea adventure.

Heroes on both sides. Peruvian Capt. Grau commanded it well, and Chilean Captain Prat of the Esmerelda's heroics in defeat against it are legendary in Chilean naval history.
I think that I have a description of the fight in Ironclads in Action by Wilson. Let me check.

There is a good account of both actions in Wilson, Ironclads in Action Vol. 1, but it will take a while to copy and paste it if you want it. Otherwise, look it up on archive.org and try for the 2nd. Edition.

Last edited:
I think that I have a description of the fight in Ironclads in Action by Wilson. Let me check.

There is a good account of both actions in Wilson, Ironclads in Action Vol. 1, but it will take a while to copy and paste it if you want it. Otherwise, look it up on archive.org and try for the 2nd. Edition.
No need, and thanks for the reference!

Back