• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Interview with Marc Miller at Gary Con X

creativehum

SOC-14 1K
Mike already posted a link to this interview at the tail end of another thread. But I think Miller's comments are worthy of their own thread. I also know a few people don't like following links. And I believe some of the comments are so interesting they're worthy of quoting directly.

At the recent Gary Con, Miller ran a game of Traveller. After the game Miller stayed and chatted with several of the players, answering questions. Then one player stayed a bit longer and asked more questions. He posted his record of what Miller said and posted Millers comments on his blog. I've posted some of the responses below.

1. When Mr. Miller designed Traveller, he intended it to be a generic sci-fi roleplaying game system, in which we could play any science fiction game we wanted. The Third Imperium setting came later.

2. The rules, or systems, he included are there as an aid for when your imagination fails. He shared the example of world creation. “Think of a world. Now think of another one. And another. After a while you run out of imagination or things get a little boring.” That’s where the world generation system steps in and helps you by creating worlds that you now have to creatively explain. Why would millions of people choose to live on a desert world with a tainted atmosphere, for example? The more I learned about his play style, and his original ideas for the game, the more it became apparent that the systems, while there to aid us, could be completely ignored (and should be) in order to simply play the game

3. While playing Traveller, Marc role-plays. Very little rules. Traveller is truly a rules-light game system once you start playing. For our scenario, we generated characters by only rolling up stats. No skills. Just stats and pick your service. All rolls were made against those stats, but you couldn’t roll against the same stat again, until you had used them all. Oh, and you had to support your decision on which stat to use. After that, it was all role playing. Creating a communal story. He made it up as he went along, allowed us to build the story, and acted as “referee” just as intended. After we were through, he said “There. Now you know how I play Traveller.”

4. Originally, there was no intention to publish anything except rules. He wanted players to use their imaginations and play in whatever world they wanted.

The Imperium became the setting after a reviewer made a comment that he wouldn’t play a game that did not include a pre-defined setting. Marc implied that he didn’t want to play in one in which there was one. He said he had even written an article about it.

I thought I recalled seeing it, but could only find a comment made in “Challenge/JTAS” Issue 29. Marc writes, “In our own naive way, we thought that the basic rule set was enough. It was a review in a fanzine run by Tony Watson that changed my mind. The reviewer, talking about Traveller, complained that there was not enough background and detail for the Traveller rules: each player had to make up his own. And Tony (as the editor) inserted a comment that he would never play a system that imposed a background on him. … it was my responsibility, as a game designer, and our responsibility, as a game publisher, to provide support for the role-playing system.”

I believe that the ‘fanzine’ may have been “Space Gamer”.

5. Money. It’s come up here a couple of times, so I asked Miller how he envisioned money would work in Traveller. He said he never thought people would really be transporting money, like credit or even cash. Instead, he gave the example that on one world you would buy a cargo load of pigs. You would go to the next world and sell the pigs for a cargo load of turkeys and, hopefully, enough local currency to get supplies, fuel and repairs, and then move on, repeating the process. Personally, I think “Firefly” does a great job of demonstrating this in action. Of course, that still doesn’t answer how a ship gets paid off, and I didn’t ask.

6. Traveller was most influenced by the “Dumarest Saga” books…

7. His favorite version of the game is still Classic Traveller. Yeah us!

8. He loves the character creation system because the dice rolls give you interesting characters to play. He pointed out how, during the weekend, he had several PCs that were really just dumb, and it was fun to see how the players handled playing those characters. He mentioned that this is what made the game interesting, and gave exciting results.

9. During the game our rolls mostly consisted of “roll under the attribute”.

10. While he doesn’t play Traveller using lots of rules, he does like to play with systems. Just like many of us here who play with building starships, or worlds, or the merchant system. T5 is this way. He said “I always wanted a system that would make interesting aliens with 5 arms and stuff and I couldn’t figure out how to do it. Finally I did.” I haven’t read T5, but given how much fun I have personally had playing the games within the Traveller game, I may have to pick it up some time, just because.

My interest in Miller's comments is obvious, given my focus on Traveller Books 1, 2, and 3. But I know others might find this description of Miller's style of play, as well as details about the game's history and rules interesting as well.

Last edited:
I found Item #3 the most interesting. It certainly jibes with the old play example which was shared here and on a few blogs a couple of years back.

It was published back in the 80s and dealt with Mr. Miller running a scenario from Leviathan in the very rules-lite manner. IIRC, the session was just part of evening over a holiday weekend and involved no prep beyond opening the adventure booklet. The group grabbed some characters, he put them in orbit over the Planet of Cannibal Cavemen, and play began. No muss, no fuss, just a few hours of fun.

Yes, glad James took the time to talk with Marc: always nice to hear what creators think, and I think it's a testament to CT's enduring appeal that his original design goals still make for a great game all these decades later.

Marc Miller's Traveller, in one paragraph:

Roll 2d6 each for Strength, Dexterity, Endurance, Intelligence, Education, and Social Standing. Begin. Role-play. Make stuff up. The Referee might want to adjudicate stuff using dice, rather than just making stuff up. In that case, roll 2d6 and beat whatever number the Referee just made up, probably a 6 or 8 or 10 modified by how high your stat is.

There, saved you all the price of buying T5 or MgT2. :rofl:

Roll 2d6 each for Strength, Dexterity, Endurance, Intelligence, Education, and Social Standing. Begin. Role-play. Make stuff up. The Referee might want to adjudicate stuff using dice, rather than just making stuff up. In that case, roll 2d6 and beat whatever number the Referee just made up, probably a 6 or 8 or 10 modified by how high your stat is.

All i know is, the next time someone tells me that what I've written about the the playstyle of original Traveller rules is wrong because I "haven't read all of Miller's corpus" (which someone has actually said) I'll point them to this interview and say, "Well, Miller doesn't seem to be paying too much to his corpus either."

Last edited:

I think more than a few came to this same conclusion...:coffeesip:

OTOH, I am more than happy to provide FFE remuneration for the CD's and one-volume digest version of LBB1 - 3.

Of course, T5 is a completely different game than CT. T5 answers the needs of people who want a game like that game. Marc prefers the looser style of CT (as do I). But many people want a game where as many procedures are codified as possible and the rules are used in a regular and repeatable manner.

Great read! :)

6. Traveller was most influenced by the “Dumarest Saga” books…

Um, duhhh....
:rofl:

When anyone asks me "What is Traveller?", all I have to say is "It's a scifi roleplaying game based on the Dumarest series of novels by Tubb. They're great books. Read them. Now!"

Honestly, we could even call it DUMAREST: THE RPG (privately, at least).

Try to escape the clutches of the evil Cyclan!
Hook up with a hot chick on each new planet!
Get into knife-fights in grimy backwaters!
Explore strange alien ruins!
Try to keep from being eaten by indigenous lifeforms!
Enjoy the comforts of Low Passage! :eek:

It supports the contention I made in a discussion with a friend. I had told him about a visit to a local game store. I commented on how it seemed that there were a lot of new systems designed by someone to allow a setting to be used.

But, I explained, if I want to play a Science Fiction setting why do I need another set of rules. Give me the descriptions and let me pick the system be that CT, MT, or GURPS. It's the world description that you need to have a great experience as a group crafting a story.

As someone else fortunate enough to play with Marc Miller at GaryCon, this is exactly it. I could tell he had nothing more than his knowledge of the Kinunir and the deckplans (from the T5 Kickstarter deckplan set) prepped.

And we just played. It was great fun.

As someone else fortunate enough to play with Marc Miller at GaryCon, this is exactly it. I could tell he had nothing more than his knowledge of the Kinunir and the deckplans (from the T5 Kickstarter deckplan set) prepped.

Exactly! I had the same experience years ago at a Con where I was able to play in a pick up Mercenaries, Spies, and Private Eyes game run by Mike Stackpole. Create characters and 15 minutes later we're off on a great adventure. Still have the character sheet in my files.

Rob Kuntz is writing a book about David Arneson's contributions to the hobby. He's already published a "preface" of a few dozen pages that explains his ideas at a high level and I'm working my way through it. It's dense reading.

In an early passage, he talks about Gygax and the different versions of D&D he played. Not "version" as in 0e, 1e, Basic, etc, but rather: the D&D he played at his own table vs. the D&D he designed to satisfy customers and make money.

I sense echoes of that here.

This is the first I've heard of Dumarest. After quickly reading the Wikipedia article on it, I can scarcely say I would EVER have connected the two, and don't think I will be terribly interested in the upcoming TV series.

Of course, we can probably blame the wiki article's sheer lack of universe-exposition for most of this. Your own explanation was far better than theirs.

Great read! :)

Um, duhhh....
:rofl:

When anyone asks me "What is Traveller?", all I have to say is "It's a scifi roleplaying game based on the Dumarest series of novels by Tubb. They're great books. Read them. Now!"

Honestly, we could even call it DUMAREST: THE RPG (privately, at least).

Try to escape the clutches of the evil Cyclan!
Hook up with a hot chick on each new planet!
Get into knife-fights in grimy backwaters!
Explore strange alien ruins!
Try to keep from being eaten by indigenous lifeforms!
Enjoy the comforts of Low Passage! :eek:

Do you have a link to that preface? it sounds like interesting reading.

Dave Arneson's True Genius, by Robert Kuntz.

[m;]Link removed for going to a point-of-sale; see rule 7.[/m;]

Last edited by a moderator:

Exactly! I had the same experience years ago at a Con where I was able to play in a pick up Mercenaries, Spies, and Private Eyes game run by Mike Stackpole. Create characters and 15 minutes later we're off on a great adventure. Still have the character sheet in my files.

Golly, it's almost as if the rules themselves aren't that important to the experience.

Back